It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:04 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

The swedish edition had a thin retail version and an expanded subscriber version (which most had), iirc. I'm not actually sure if i've ever seen one in retail, maybe it was only a marketing trick to say subscribers got extra pages? Anyway, the 'expanded' version had a few extra pages in the middle in gloss paper and consisted mostly of guides and in-depth sneak peaks which i suspect were directly taken from the american counterpart). The "standard edition" pages mostly consisted of editorials, "box mario", "pro's corner" and "tips & trix", all based on local content, news (from usa/japan), and comics (same). I think reviews could be found in both parts. Will have to check in the few copies i have left.

I think the editorial office closed early 95 or late 94.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 am 

I see, that's interesting. I remember I've seen other Scandinavians sending mail to the (Swedish) mailbox but I didn't know it was translated to other languages.

Nintendo Magasinet was basically Sweden's Nintendo Power although I think it was independent from Bergsala. Power Player was an extra magazine included inside Nintendo Magasinet only for subscribers. It was stappled inside the magazine so yeah basically extra pages for subscribers rather than a separate magazine. It contained most of the reviews I think (which also often doubled as game guides and level maps).
Nintendo Magasinet had Voyager's Mario, Zelda and Captain N comics but later issues had Japanese comics like Shotaro Ishinomori's Zelda comic and Japanese SMW comics.

Super Power was a different magazine started by some of the people that had worked on Nintendo Magasinet in it's later life. Nintendo Magasinet was eventually discontinued and Super Power became the big Nintendo magazine in Sweden. It was a bigger magazine with no comics and more articles and reviews, and also had a section about anime and manga (which was considered extremely obscure in Sweden back then). Later they included non-Nintendo consoles as well (around 1995 it seems) and eventually even PC games (2001 apparently). The name was also changed to Super Play at some point in time.

Also at some point late in Super Play's life, the old crew quit and started another magazine (called LEVEL) while Super Play was taken over by other people that mostly focused on western PC games. It became totally unrecognisable and not very interesting anymore, I stopped subscribing. Super Play is now discontinued, but LEVEL still exists, though I don't subscribe.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:53 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Quote:
Sweden's Nintendo Power although I think it was independent from Bergsala
They probably had to work with what NoE gave them, and their reviews were always suspiciously positive (the office being in the same company as the general agent really explains it), but the text seemed to be written in office and they had a picture capturing unit of some sort for taking screenshots. They did their layout in-house manually and sent it to a repro house in taiwan. Just before Nintendomagasinet was canceled, they had started using Quark Express.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 pm 

Pokum, everything you are describing about Nintendo Magasinet (which was called exactly the same here) and Super Power is familiar to me. I think what we got was pretty close to a 1:1 copy.
The anime/manga section ("Manga Mania" or something like that?) was also the big introduction to the concept to me. I mean, I knew of it beforehand of course, but that section and several offhand comments in other articles (particularly in games based on anime of course), was what originally made me really aware of what was going on with Japanese animation, even if I was never a big fan of it myself.

My favourite section was Tobias's RPG corner or whatever he called it. That really opened up the world of those games for me, since we rarely got any of the sorts in Europe. I was in love with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantay 6 years before even getting the chance to play either of them.

I still have all the magazines that came out here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm 

Sumez wrote:
My favourite section was Tobias's RPG corner or whatever he called it.

Oh, so that was his real name. ;) He was called "Topi" in the Finnish magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 am 

Yeah Tobias Bjarneby, he was one of the founders of Super Power and the editor-in-chief. He probably played a big part on popularizing Japanese RPGs in Scandinavia, while Martin Johansson (the guy behind the Manga Mania section), together with Simon Lundström (famous Manga translator in Sweden and also an indirect acquaintance to me), probably had a hand in popularizing Japanese comics and animation here.

Tobias and Martin are both working on LEVEL I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:04 pm 

Now, thrill is coming on the way!
DiseaseDrugs