It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Suggestion for NESemDev
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm 
Formerly Fx3

It would be great if the emulators in-development state would have their main post of updates sticked at the top of board, as puNES, Mesen, RockNES and others.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:33 am 

I vote against. It's hard to draw the line which emulators are worthy of stickying (and in many cases the development is quite sporadic).

Moving the development threads to a separate subforum might be a better idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:55 am 

No. Too many. Also, that page already serves as a way to get to all the emulators' threads.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:16 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Myask wrote:
No. Too many. Also, that page already serves as a way to get to all the emulators' threads.

"Too many" because you're taking a full list built by koitsu. The emulator must be a) under development, b) last release less than a year, or 6 months, c) it's popular and d) we know the author and his emulator isn't in an early stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:29 pm 

Zepper wrote:
sticked at the top of board, as puNES, Mesen, RockNES and others

I think this would be a better request if you dropped the "and others". No need to make this vague.

I think really what you're asking for is quick / easy / visible access to a couple of current emulators that could use more eyes on them.

We've at least got this list at the wiki, but maybe it's time puNES and Mesen graduated to the "Popular" preferred section there?

As for whether they need stickies, I don't actually have much opinion because my primary way of reading this board is the "view unread posts" button. The front page of the NESemdev subforum currently goes back 3 months. Any of those emulator threads that's had a new post since then is already on the front page anyway. (The RockNES thread is the only one of those three that isn't, because it hasn't had a post since February.)

A subforum for emulator releases might be an idea, but there just aren't that many emulators to sustain a subforum, IMO. What you probably need is just a list. What if you just had one sticky "List of current popular emulators" thread instead?

Or just a link to the Wiki... actually... Koitsu's sticky already does this (!!), but the tone of that sticky post is unfortunately kind of cross-purposes here, even though it does link straight to that good wiki list.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:48 pm 
Formerly Fx3

rainwarrior wrote:
I think this would be a better request if you dropped the "and others". No need to make this vague.

I don't know by heart every NES emulator under development right now. That's why I used "and others". No offense for emulators in early stages.
Quote:
I think really what you're asking for is quick / easy / visible access to a couple of current emulators that could use more eyes on them.

Well... yes and no. I wouldn't create a race condition between emus, like puNES and Mesen for example. Both emulators are good and in an advanced stage. Mine is 19 years old. ^_^;;
Quote:
We've at least got this list at the wiki, but maybe it's time puNES and Mesen graduated to the "Popular" preferred section there?

I have no idea what emulators are "popular", but I know a few ones in advanced stage (full emulation and extra kicks).
Quote:
A subforum for emulator releases might be an idea, but there just aren't that many emulators to sustain a subforum, IMO. What you probably need is just a list. What if you just had one sticky "List of current popular emulators" thread instead?

Because each emulator uses a specific topic for updates and downloads. As I said, I have no clue about the nesdev traffic or statistics, such as number of accesses per day, downloads (bandwidth) and so on.
Quote:
Or just a link to the Wiki... actually... Koitsu's sticky already does this (!!), but the tone of that sticky post is unfortunately kind of cross-purposes here, even though it does link straight to that good wiki list.

I'd say that forums are more interesting to find stuff & create discussions than the wiki, since it only works as an official reference for NES development.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:34 pm 

Instead of making one sticky thread per emulator, what would make more sense is to make 1 sticky post that contains the link to the status threads of each emulator. So that post aggregates the links to all the other threads in that forum.

If you start to put a sticky per emulator and suddenly (but quite unlikely) there is 10+ more popular emulators in development... Then the top of the forum is gets crammed at the top by sticky only.

So 1 thread that contains a list of the current threads about emulators. The name could be "Currently active emulators" or something more appropriated compared to my broken english :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:38 pm 

My vote goes to an index thread as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm 
Formerly Fx3

You're mentioning problems before their existence, and placing unnecessary obstacles.

a) For example, Nintendulator and Nestopia have no main topic here.
b) FCEU has a couple of variants, and there's no topic here... or is there?
c) No need to create (& stick) topics for emulators without topics.

I have nothing more to say. Just forget my idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 pm 

Index thread might help, I suppose. The original idea for sticky all topic is bad though.