Long-term trouble ahead with switch analog sticks?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Long-term trouble ahead with switch analog sticks?

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Just watched ben heck's show where they modded the right-hand controller of the switch to be placed where the thumb actually wants it to be. ( :lol: )

I was a bit shocked when heck revealed the stick is actually two carbon travel potentiometers.

This type of potentiometer will eventually be worn out, and are best used on an instrument panel where you dial something in and set it there for a period or a long while; such as a tuner, EE power supply unit, or synthesizer. But analog sticks see continous use during a session. Am i overly nervous to think this doesn't bothe well for long-term usage? Especially as the potentiometers are of nintendo's own design, rather than an easily replacable part...

Bonus question: What other console controllers are using carbon potentiometers? Paddles and arkanoid controllers aside
TmEE

Re: Long-term trouble ahead with switch analog sticks?

Post by TmEE »

N64 (optic), Saturn and Dreamcast (magnetic) are only ones that don't use pot based design from what I know. N64's sticks tend to fall apart form wear, Saturn and Dreamcast ones last until the centering spring in them gives up or the permanent magnets lose their magnetic field. I haven't actually heard the pot based sticks going bad, at least not the ones that Play Station and all the newer things use.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Hm.. Magnets might actually be worse off, if they're constantly exposed to electromagnetic fields.

Carbon can get inconsistent/scratchy, so it's not a one day it's working, the other day it's not, but rather a progressing degradation of quality with use. Much worse if alien materials build up, of course, which might be a risk with portables. It depends on how well sealed the space is.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Potentiometers are standard these days, and it's how just about all joysticks on the market work these days. However, the N64's optic mechanism works very well. The problem with it is that it has mechanical issues. You can help it a lot by putting a little silicone lubricant in the joystick bowl and between the stick and gear arms.