It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: SNES Classic Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 am 

That's the reason I think Dracula X has been overpriced. It isn't affected by the inflations because the supply still meets the demands consistently. I think that either the hype around the game led people to think it was more rare than it was, driving up the price, or the hype around it has simply died down a bit (especially now when there are Virtual Console versions and remakes of it). I guess it's a combination of the two.

I was certainly disappointed that XX (which I played years before I got my hands on a PC Engine) didn't have any of the fantastic whip techniques of Castlevania IV: Multidirectional whipping, swinging over gaps and my favourite, brandishing the whip. At the time, it felt like the series had taken a step back.
The Sub-weapon Crash moves are cool though, and in at least the PC Engine version both Belmond and Maria have tons of new moves, some that are hidden though.

Maybe brandishing the whip would have wasteful to do on the PC Engine due to the large sprites (PC Engine only allows 16x16 sprites at minimum)? I'm not sure how the brandishing physics is done though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:00 am 

I would have hated Dracula X if it had that. Bloodlines has a nice compromise where you can still do some minor multidirectional stuff, but the game still manages to play like a Castlevania game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:57 pm 

I'm upset that they didn't include Hong Kong 97. What's a Super Nintendo collection without Hong Kong 97! Only one of the greatest games of all time! On a serious note though, why don't these classic console run of say a SNES on a chip, most of the famiclones run off of an NES on a chip. Ah, what am I doing talking about the hardware specs, it looks like a great console that I'd love to pick up when it comes out, I might even pre-order it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:29 am 

I guess it's about cost and accuracy.
I think making an emulator on existing hardware architecture is probably easier and cheaper for Nintendo than remaking the hardware with HD support (although it would be very cool if they did). And why not use the existing Famiclone hardware like NES-on-a-chip? Those clones are not very good compared to good emulators when it comes to running the game with approximately correct sound and other behaviour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:08 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
On a serious note though, why don't these classic console run of say a SNES on a chip, most of the famiclones run off of an NES on a chip.
Custom silicon is risky. And they can't just duplicate the original layout. They still need HDMI conversion, save state management, and something beefier CPU and GPU wise for displaying menus and scaling the display etc. In the end, it wouldn't make much sense to go that route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
why don't these classic console run of say a SNES on a chip

"Why support someone who made a knock-off version of our product?"
"Why support emulators?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am 

And I guess we are at time where computers are more advanced then they used to, because with the Apple IIgs, I believe that to maintain backwards compatibility with older Apple II programs, they had an Apple II on a chip, because the main CPU was too slow to run the system bios but also read the code for the Apple II bios and run basic, so that system on a chip was deemed necessary. However, now that ARM SOCs are fast enough to run game code, and can output hdmi and are priced reasonably, the seem practical for the SNES classic. but because of this, we're probably going to have the same problem we did with the NES classic. Pirates are going to be dumping the ROMs and we're going to have scalpers. Since it uses an emulator, it will be super easy to dump the ROMs because they will already be emulator ready. It will be a large target for ROM dumpers because it has StarFox 2.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:44 am 

DementedPurple wrote:
And I guess we are at time where computers are more advanced then they used to, because with the Apple IIgs, I believe that to maintain backwards compatibility with older Apple II programs, they had an Apple II on a chip, because the main CPU was too slow to run the system bios but also read the code for the Apple II bios and run basic, so that system on a chip was deemed necessary.

I'm pretty sure this was done entirely for cost reasons, not for performance. The Mega II SOC didn't actually contain a second processor; any original Apple II software just used the main CPU in emulation mode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6