SNES Classic Edition

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: SNES Classic Edition

Post by rainwarrior »

In SF2 the bosses were playable with a cheat code but not in a way that was balanced with the others; they were the set of controls that were set up for the AI to use, not intended to be used in competition. e.g. Sagat's fireballs were executed directly with a punch button.

(Edit: am I remembering this correctly? I can't seem to find evidence that you could do this, but I definitely played a Street Fighter II where this happened somehow...)
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Not really. Maybe through game genie codes or pirated versions. The original game alowed mirror matches through a code at the capcom logo and that's it, no controlable bosses, ever.
Myask wrote:I wonder who's getting the money on the StarFox 2 contract argonaut was allegedly screwed out of.
Argonaut probably got paid to make the game and all rights and royalties are nintendo's. So nintendo is the one that got "screwed" for paying someone to make a game for two years and then keep it secret and never release.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Hm. Maybe it was something I did in an emulator later, or even with the arcade version as a MAME cheat or something...? I'm really confused as to how I did this now, ha ha.

Oh, something else I remember from the Turbo vs original versions, they added in the wooden barrel bonus round that was in the arcade but the first SNES SF2 was missing.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

DRW wrote:
tepples wrote:Three versions of Street Fighter II were released for Super NES:
  1. Street Fighter II, with mirror matches accessible through a code
  2. Street Fighter II Turbo, with even greater speeds accessible through a code
  3. Super Street Fighter II, with a very minor Group Battle feature accessible through a code
You left out the most important differences:

Regular SF2: Eight fighters + four non-playable bosses.
Turbo: All 12 fighters playable.
Super: The old 12 fighters + four new ones playable.
One category of differences is that Super has a lot of animations cut down, even more so than the first two home releases. For this reason first-generation ports of Turbo and even Champion Edition are often preferred over ports of Super to the same console.
DRW

Post by DRW »

rainwarrior wrote:In SF2 the bosses were playable with a cheat code [...]
(Edit: am I remembering this correctly? [...])
This was just a Game Genie code, not something that you can accomplish with the game regularly.
(There are also at least two ROM hacks where this was done.)
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

OK this post is going to be similar to my Famicom World post, so sorry about that.
Gilbert wrote:
Too bad none of the DQ games for the system were released in the west, otherwise I'd like to see them more than any of the Square games.
They were released on the Nintendo DS rather recently - and the remakes are likely to not be so much of a grindfest as their original counterparts.
So are the FF games, and even more terrible the FF games are remade to death on every single device under the sun. They probably will port the games to run on a refrigerator if they have the chance. The music in DQ also pwn FF in any way possible (though the DQ tunes are all best done with full real orchestration and the synthesized versions couldn't do them justice). I do like some tunes in FF5 though. The musics in the FF series just aren't my thing.
I love the FF series and especially the music, but: DQ > FF
I really think DQ V should be on any top 10 Super Famicom list, although I understand they don't want to split up the DQ IV, V and VI trilogy and DQ IV has no Super Famicom version.

Chrono Trigger also qualify for representing the Sufami but I guess that would be too many RPGs.
Although Panel de Pon and Fire Emblem are welcome additions I think the Japanese version seems to me to be the inferior one this time around (unlike the Famicom mini):

Panel de Pon instead of Kirby's Dreamcourse (±0)
Fire Emblem instead of Earthbound (±0)
Goemon instead of Castlevania IV (-1)
Formation Soccer instead of Super Punch-Out (-1)
Super Street Fighter II instead of Street Fighter II Turbo (-1)

So I give -3 points to the Japanese version compared to the English ones. And the American gets -5 for being ugly so the PAL version comes out on top (the emulated SNES is supposedly NTSC and the ROMs are identical to the US version).

I'm not really planning to get it for the games though (except Star Fox 2), as I already have most of them and can easily get the other ones and play them on real hardware, so I might as well just get the Japanese version anyway.

Bregalad wrote:
Gilbert wrote: Why? That's just obvious. Kanji literally means Chinese characters.
Well, my native language is French, which is written using latin characters, and I can't understand most languages written with latin characters. (Not counting languages I learned or am learning, obviously !). The only expetion might be Spanish and Portugese which are sort-of understandable because they are similar enough to french in written form (but definitely not in oral form !).
Don't think latin letters they only contain sounds, think of ideograms like number characters, they have meaning. The character "5" has the same meaning in all written languages that uses it AFAIK, but it's pronounced differently in different languages.

Japanese and Chinese grammar are very different though, so I guess a Chinese reading a Japanese text requires lots of guesswork.
Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Pokun wrote: Japanese and Chinese grammar are very different though, so I guess a Chinese reading a Japanese text requires lots of guesswork.
Actually given enough Kanjis appearing in the sentence, not that much of guessworks are needed. Grammar isn't that important in Chinese and Japanese and most of them just differ in the order of the phrases, which is nothing as in many cases the positions of phrases of either language can be exchanged without altering the meaning. Bonus point for Japanese sentences actually arranged more like ancient written Chinese, so maybe this is where some kids nowadays would have problems.

Edit:
I didn't notice that the Japanese version lacks Super Akumajo Dracula earlier, but I can understand that. Goemon is probably more popular there so this is a logical choice. I think both Dracula games were considered black sheep in Japan, that the first game had too many things altered (like the control scheme for example) to make it recognisable as an Akumajo game and Dracula XX was terribly trimmed down from the original, much superior PCE game. Neither of them are bad games but they'd exchange them for other more popular choice if sacrifice must be made.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

tepples wrote:And I'm suspecting that the search for ACE bugs in the SA-1 based Super Mario RPG may soon heat up, as a different Super NES emulator was exploited through a defect in its SA-1 DMA implementation.
It would be amazing if someome managed to hack the SNES Classic using only button inputs via the controller :P
Gilbert wrote: I didn't notice that the Japanese version lacks Super Akumajo Dracula earlier, but I can understand that. Goemon is probably more popular there so this is a logical choice. I think both Dracula games were considered black sheep in Japan, that the first game had too many things altered (like the control scheme for example) to make it recognisable as an Akumajo game and Dracula XX was terribly trimmed down from the original, much superior PCE game. Neither of them are bad games but they'd exchange them for other more popular choice if sacrifice must be made.
It's an unpopular opinion, but as a huge fan of the Castlevania series, I think CV4 is massively overrated. Most other classicvanias are better games, and I vastly prefer Dracula XX to it as well. The changes are exactly as you said, they made it feel less like a Castlevania game. Not that it makes it bad, I still like the game, but it has some minor annoyances most of the way throughout the game, lacking the amazing sleek design of the first and third games. The general consensus seems to be that it's the easiest of the series, but if you're going for a 1CC (as you should), I'd say it's much harder than CV3 if only due to random bs that will gladly kill you unexpectedly.

Dracula XX however is underrated. It definitely seems awfully trimmed down if you compare it to Dracula X on the PCE, but they are two completely different games with hardly anything in common apart from the graphics and story/themes. Its biggest issue is really that the controls aren't quite as snappy as the PCE game it's "based on", but it plays like a good classic Castlevania game, and is immensely enjoyable. :)
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Looks like I won't get a SNES Classic either. I preordered immediately, like within the hour. Got a reply today that my order was cancelled because they won't be getting enough in Sweden and only the very first people who ordered will get one. :( Here we go again... WTF Nintendo! WHY!?!?
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

It sounds like the history won't repeat itself but who knows. I hope to get one this time.
Sumez wrote:
Gilbert wrote: I didn't notice that the Japanese version lacks Super Akumajo Dracula earlier, but I can understand that. Goemon is probably more popular there so this is a logical choice. I think both Dracula games were considered black sheep in Japan, that the first game had too many things altered (like the control scheme for example) to make it recognisable as an Akumajo game and Dracula XX was terribly trimmed down from the original, much superior PCE game. Neither of them are bad games but they'd exchange them for other more popular choice if sacrifice must be made.
It's an unpopular opinion, but as a huge fan of the Castlevania series, I think CV4 is massively overrated. Most other classicvanias are better games, and I vastly prefer Dracula XX to it as well. The changes are exactly as you said, they made it feel less like a Castlevania game. Not that it makes it bad, I still like the game, but it has some minor annoyances most of the way throughout the game, lacking the amazing sleek design of the first and third games. The general consensus seems to be that it's the easiest of the series, but if you're going for a 1CC (as you should), I'd say it's much harder than CV3 if only due to random bs that will gladly kill you unexpectedly.

Dracula XX however is underrated. It definitely seems awfully trimmed down if you compare it to Dracula X on the PCE, but they are two completely different games with hardly anything in common apart from the graphics and story/themes. Its biggest issue is really that the controls aren't quite as snappy as the PCE game it's "based on", but it plays like a good classic Castlevania game, and is immensely enjoyable. :)
I know someone that prefers XX over the PC Engine version (which is crazy of course). I don't see how IV is a black cheap though. When I was a kid I was amazed by the music and atmosphere, and the dancing ghosts scared the heck out of me. The controls are also great, you can finally attack upwards! And brandishing the whip is a staple technique since this game (except in X for some reason) I still considers it one of the best in the series together with Akumajou Densetsu, PCE version of Dracula X and its Playstation/Saturn sequel, Bloodlines and Aria of Sorrow.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Super CV 4 is good, but good god did they overpower the whip. You can reach anything on the screen and it's so long you never need to touch your subweapons. I think that is a gross balance problem, and i firmly believe it had been better with a shorter whip. I think the graphics are also kind of smeary compared to the more classic and distinct look of Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo or Akumajou Dracula XX.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Pokun wrote: I know someone that prefers XX over the PC Engine version (which is crazy of course).
I don't like much either - they are both major step back from SCV4. The PC Engine game is majorly overrated because it wasn't available outside of Japan, so it was perceived as a "must have gem" for this reason.

SCV4 however, is the best of the series and one of my favourite games of all time. Countrary to the first 3 NES games it doesn't have horrible controls, it's responsive. I agree it's a bit easy, but there's a hard mode for a reason. Also it's one of the only non-RPG Castlevania games I could beat legitimately without cheating. Both CV1 and CV3 I never beat Death legitimately so hard it is. Don't even get me started on X or XX, they're even worse, and I think going back to deprecated awful controls is unacceptable. Thanks god this was fixed in SOTN which again control well.

Using up for subweapons makes no sense, especially when it is also used for stairs. SCV4 made the right decision by moving it to trigger button. I'm however sad they went back to this decision.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bregalad wrote:they are both major step back from SCV4. The PC Engine game is majorly overrated because it wasn't available outside of Japan, so it was perceived as a "must have gem" for this reason.
:|
Myask

Post by Myask »

Looks like I won't get a SNES Classic either. I preordered immediately, like within the hour. Got a reply today that my order was cancelled because they won't be getting enough in Sweden
:(
Bregalad wrote:Using up for subweapons makes no sense, especially when it is also used for stairs. SCV4 made the right decision by moving it to trigger button. I'm however sad they went back to this decision.
Well, you had one button left in CV1: select. It's nearer the D-pad than the buttons, so it's hard to hit regularly with RH, and LH is constantly busy with moving.
(This is almost certainly why Batman: TVG used Start to cycle punch/subweapons and Select to pause, which is one of the other workable schemes…and it's a right pain given how much one needs switch weapons in the fastest routings.)

Of course, CV3 used Select for partner-swap, which meant you were really out of buttons.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

This is what I'm interested in.

- The SNES controllers themselves. Because hopefully someone out there will make an adapter for them to connect to a real SNES. I would just like to have brand new SNES controllers as long as they are of the same quality of the original SNES controllers from long ago. Does anyone know if there was an adapter made to play the NES mini controllers on the original NES console?

- The hacked console. I really enjoy playing games on my TV rather than on an emulator on my computer. That being said, even though there is an emulator inside the SNES classic at least it will connect to the TV. Also it plays SA-1 games. I've been wanting to play SA-1 games on my TV for a long time and even the almighty powerful SD2SNES cannot do this (yet). So I want the SNES mini because I could load other SA-1 games on it (after it gets hacked) and then I can enjoy those games on my TV.

Also what emulator are they using for these NES classic and SNES classic consoles? It is their own personal in house emulator? Has anyone reversed engineered the emulator so that you can use it on your computer just like the other NES and SNES emulators that we already have?