It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm 

I'm a few hours late, but…here, editing to this year's links:
Myask wrote:
It's that time again: SGDQ is on this week, raising money for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) [Doctors Without Borders]
Main page.
Also-useful links:
Run schedule.
Donation tracker. (Has subpages of what challenges/bid wars/prizes are available, and a duplicate schedule too)
The reddit thread, which has in the past usually been the first place to find links to the starts of completed runs on the Twitch recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X8SvUZlcQ3 raw stream has been uploaded to YouTube now (looks like Earthbound's the only one not there yet)

Last edited by Myask on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:10 pm 

Thanks.

Probably not going to get many replies, but the direct links do help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:04 pm 

It's over. Had much fun watching.
Quote:
Donation Total: $1,776,475.79

It bugs me when runners lie about tricks (whether it's joking about frame-perfection, claiming something's for setting up the RNG, calling a fake wall a clip/zip…)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:27 am 

Myask wrote:
claiming something's for setting up the RNG

Often these are jokes, too (i.e., they mess something up and joke that it was intentional).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 am 

I honestly think that's the kind of light tone that makes the better runs entertaining to watch. Some are a bit overused though, such as "serious time" about a boss that just requires you to sit in a corner and mash a button. It's all about execution though, I love the one at 4:28 in here https://youtu.be/n4FmNdeP61A?t=4m28s - especially how straight it's played until Blueglass points it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:30 am 

Best was probably Andy's glitched playthrough of Link to the Past, but the 3 hour Chrono Trigger run was really good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 am 

Yeah, andy's run was ridiculously funny. What was good about CT this time?

It rubs me the wrong way. I prefer informative commentary. (Diablo II's run this year is outstanding for this reason, though few donations are read.) I am also impressed when a runner manages to perform amazing feats while also holding down the commentary stream the entire time (there were a few of these, but I can't recall which atm.)
Quote:
serious time
Boy who Cried Wolf
Quote:
"serious time" about a boss that just requires you to sit in a corner and mash a button.
Sometimes those can have something that can go Very Wrong, but if it doesn't, looks absolutely trivial. Or that it's not exactly the corner, requiring a precision setup. (Both, for instance, in one of the Bucky O'Hare bosses.)
Quote:
Often these are jokes, too (i.e., they mess something up and joke that it was intentional).
"I meant to do that" is very obviously a lie/joke. RNG and clips and subpixels are sufficiently arcane and specific per-game that it's basically impossible to detect whether they're telling the truth or not if you don't already know.

Quote:
especially how straight it's played until Blueglass points it out.
I miss Blueglass.

Zelda II was run very cleanly, though the RNG hated on hm for every drop but the first.