I hate CinemaScope

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

psycopathicteen

Re: I hate CinemaScope

Post by psycopathicteen »

Thanks for telling me that. I can't believe my DVD player was set up wrong this entire time. I also found out I have an option for progressive scan too.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

lidnariq wrote:All the widescreen DVDs that I have are 720x480, and have a logical bit marking whether the content is DAR 16:9 or DAR 4:3...
I have several "widescreen" DVDs are are a 4:3 picture with black bars baked in. It's really terrible, but it did happen quite a bit, I think mostly in the earlier years of DVD.
Hojo_Norem

Post by Hojo_Norem »

psycopathicteen wrote:I can't believe my DVD player was set up wrong this entire time.
Take solace in knowing that you are were part of the vast legion who do the same. :mrgreen:

I work in electronics retail and installation. I have many a time come across the situation where somebody was upgrading an old 16:9 CRT for a shiny new LCD (or plasma a few years ago), only to find that their DVD player had been set to 4:3LB, or even worse, had never been through the initial setup even though it had obviously been heavily used. At least now all the decent brand players come set to 16:9 and RGB by default.

I'm glad that some TV stations are broadcasting their old 4:3 content pillar-boxed. It's a loosing battle convincing the masses that OAR is the way to go.

More and more I have come to the conclusion that most people, when you really boil it down, just don't care about getting the best out of their equipment, or at least don't bother to explore its capabilities... For somebody like me it can be soul destroying.

Not that I'm meaning to point any fingers at anybody here... It's just an observation from when I'm on the job.
Insert witty sig. here...
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I thought movie buffs just kept their TVs in zoom mode, and never played non-HD video games.