Retrobright an old SNES?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

nesrocks

Re: Retrobright an old SNES?

Post by nesrocks »

With only 4 hours of exposure and with no ozone left in the bag after 20 minutes (someone mentioned in the comments that the ozone generator must be running the entire process, as the ozone decades fastly), it already caused an effect. I think it is pretty safe to say that with more time the results will improve, and it seems to be the least intrusive method. It is speculation, indeed, so if someone can finally test it, that'd be great.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

tokumaru wrote:My experiences with painting plastic weren't the greatest. Even if you can match the color, painting it uniformly and making sure no dust or hair comes near the thing while the paint is wet is pretty hard.
How long did retrobrighting those controllers last? I keep reading things that sound like they aren't a permanent solution. Maybe what I want is just UV protectant to prevent any *further* yellowing.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I have had a SNES and Dreamcast turn yellow just by sitting in the closet with no possible UV exposure. I've read that oxygen in the air reacts with the fire retardants in the plastic over time, causing the discoloration, with UV only speeding up the process.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tokumaru wrote:One strange thing about the SNES is how the top and bottom parts of the case often yellow differently.
Oddly enough, my SNES has no yellowing aside from a little on the plastic surrounding the controller ports. You'd think it would be the same throughout.
calima

Post by calima »

Kickstarting the discussion about new SNES shells again, eh?
tepples

Post by tepples »

calima wrote:Kickstarting the discussion about new SNES shells again, eh?
I wish. I'd back such a campaign, as I estimate that most of my Super NES (1/1/1) Control Deck's chassis is as yellow as that of an Apple II Plus computer.
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

I realized that the only part of my SNES that is yellow is the top half of the shell. But the part with the logo on it and the eject button and such look brand new. I'm tempted to spray paint just the offending portion if I can find a matching color.