Thoughts on these Multicade iCade machines?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

Thoughts on these Multicade iCade machines?

Post by DementedPurple »

I don't even know what these things are called anymore. You've all seen them https://youtu.be/w4IvJK3uub8?t=53s they are these arcade machines that are basically like pirated Famicom multicarts that you would usually see in China, but they have an entire arcade machine dedicated to itself. When I ask some of the people who sell them on Ebay they say something along the lines of "Emulation is kind of a shady area" But they're talking about the emulation, not the games that they're just flat out stealing. Piracy is not a shady area, the US government has very strict laws against piracy, if you were to pirate just 1 movie, you would face quite the Jail time, why are Video Games any different? Another thing I often here is "They're old, nobody who made the games care anymore" Yeah, but that doesn't make them public domain! My mom, who is a teacher, has a student who's dad makes a living off of destroying completely functional machines from the 80's, and putting in a Jamma board so that it plays MAME. What's sad about that is that stealing other peoples hard work is how this guy is able to feed his family. That's how this guy lives. Whatever, I may just be overreacting.
tepples

Re: Thoughts on these Multicade iCade machines?

Post by tepples »

Would it be useful to make a JAMMA version of NESRGB to run homebrew arcade games as an alternative to piracy? It'd be like a homebrew version of the Vs. System, just without the palette scrambling.

Or would it be better to make an emulator box that plugs into a JAMMA port?
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Yeah, a sort of universal arcade machine that plays home brew games isn't that bad of an idea, one that plays multiple games, too. Of course, someone still might try to use it for piracy, but I think it will be much of a deal because there will be other, non-pirated games for free.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

MAME JAMMA boards are, I believe, already a thing.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

For what it's worth, the emulation is poor for many of the games on this board.
loopy

Post by loopy »

For games 30+ years old - it doesn't particularly bother me. There's a couple of these at my local arcade. It's a chance to play obscure games you'd rarely see otherwise. It does irk me when they include games with a control scheme that doesn't match though (e.g. diagonal games like Congo Bongo, QBert etc.)