Ataribox

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Ataribox

Post by rainwarrior »

Other than the horrible shape (why isn't it flat?) I like the thought of an inexpensive games and media PC.

My dream is that the next generation of "consoles" will just be branded PCs you hook up to your TV. ...but probably the opposite will happen, i.e. a proliferation of more "closed" platforms, Windows becoming closed, and others appearing. The Activision-Blizzard console. The Ubisoft console.

Thank goodness for Linux, actually! I feel like its presence is a looming threat that's kept Windows from closing up much sooner.
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:Windows becoming closed
Are you referring to Windows 10 S or something else? Because if Microsoft decides to replace its Windows 10 Home SKU with Windows 10 S at some point, there'll be no way for computer science students in high school and college to run Visual Studio.
rainwarrior wrote:The Activision-Blizzard console. The Ubisoft console.
Or more handheld TV games with USB power in and HDMI out.
rainwarrior wrote:Thank goodness for Linux, actually!
Provided you can boot it, have Linux, X, and PulseAudio recognize your network, video, and audio devices, and not have it panic when you try to change the screen brightness or close the lid.
rainwarrior wrote:I feel like its presence is a looming threat that's kept Windows from closing up much sooner.
Until Microsoft manages to dupe more PC makers into installing Restricted Boot. This is FSF's term for a UEFI Secure Boot configuration whose public key the PC's owner cannot replace.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

i originally thought that the atari box was going to compete with the xbox one x and ps4 pro...... apparently i was wrong.