My Nintendo Wii experience

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: My Nintendo Wii experience

Post by Drew Sebastino »

rainwarrior wrote:Splatoon might seem like a game that you could play on a TV alone, but they intentionally made it so you couldn't, putting a map screen on the pad. For Splatoon 2, since it's on the switch, they let you switch to the map view with X instead-- something the original game could have EASILY done, but I think they wanted the pad to be more "essential", so they deliberately blocked the possibility of playing on the pad here.
Except the system of pressing X to bring up the map feels like more of a band aid than anything. Jumping to Squid Beakons is much more difficult (which is why no one even uses them anymore), and is also probably why there isn't a special where you need to select a point on the map.
93143 wrote:the number one complaint about Splatoon 2 as a sequel
:lol: :lol: :lol: How about the let-down story for single-player, (Nintendo felt the need to release a mini story online leading up to the story in the game to build hype for some reason) Sunken scrolls (collectibles) that don't tell you anything you don't know already (the weapon shop moved; no duh? The original game revealed to us that the Splatoon world is supposed to be our own in the distant future; a bit more interesting) two of the most likeable characters (Callie and Marie) being thrown under the rug for no real reason and some others not appearing at all, unobjectively inferior music, worse animations and HUD graphics, nonsensical hairstyles and the early 20th century option to make pants gender-exclusive, shit weapon balancing, which has led to worse weapon variety in the metagame, (look at the number of people using Rollers) none of the old specials returning (which could have been modified to not be so overpowered; their designs were much more interesting) samey maps with 1,000 different flanking positions, (making deaths being more determined by lack of luck than lack of skill and greatly diminishing the effectiveness of chargers) no damage up that, along with maps, worsens Chargers to the point of irrelevancy, nerfed gear abilities that helped speed up the game (your base speed in either game is slow as tar) and encouraged different playstyles, 16Hz Tickrate, (!) twice the input lag (6 frames instead of 3), regional instead of worldwide matchmaking with the same latency, etc, etc, etc... Not to mention that every single problem the first game had is still absent, as if Nintendo just plugged their ears for two years.
calima

Post by calima »

Pokun wrote:Has the non-Wii part of the Wii U even been hacked yet? Some quick googling tells me it probably has.
It's been broken for ages.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see, I might do that once I get a hold of a Wii U. As a homebrewer, a way to run arbitrary code on my game systems is an important feature.

If possible I rather get a new Wii U (a white Premium version), unless there is a reason to get a used older model?
For the Wii, earlier models are generally better. When buying my Japanese Wii, I scanned ebay for one with an early serial number for the following reasons:
- GameCube compatibility (very important reason, especially the GameCube Controller compatibility)
- Higher disc compatibility (for DVD-/+R discs) than later Wii models (mostly a piracy thing, but still it's a downgrade in later Wii models)
- Able to install Bootmii as boot2 (very important reason, brick safety)
- Able to downgrade Photo Channel to v1.0 for MP3 compatibility (a small thing but still)
calima

Post by calima »

Every released firmware version is vulnerable, and I don't think there's any reason to use an earlier model, but do check on gbatemp.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see I will check GBAtemp, thanks!