My Nintendo Wii experience

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Erockbrox

My Nintendo Wii experience

Post by Erockbrox »

So I've always been big into video games, I've played them as a kid, teen and adult. However at some point I kind of lost touch with the modern games. For example I was a die hard Nintendo fan, but was never interested in the GameCube. I got back into gaming when Halo was big on the Xbox, but only recently got a Xbox 360 to play the more recent games.

Instead of playing the modern games, I've just keep playing the classics on the retro systems.

Anyway, so today I saw a craigslist ad for a Nintendo Wii for $50 with 4 games and I said "why not". I've always wanted to play the New Super Mario Bros games on the Wii, but never got a change so I paid the $50 and got the Wii. Keep in mind that I've payed the Wii at my friends house a few times, but not really a whole lot.

So the first thing that pisses me off about the Wii is that it's big gimmick is the motion controls. I'm a hardcore player, I don't need a motion controlled game. I want a standard regular controller and that's it. Also I hate the vibration in the controller. I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I want my controller to be as steady as possible. I don't want anything wiggling my controller around in any game. The vibration doesn't give me any satisfaction whatsoever.

I know that there is a pro controller that I will have to get so okay.

So anyway I can't do anything unless I get up that motion control censor on the top of my TV so I put it there and it's like just balancing on my TV by a hair, but no big deal because I'm just testing out the system.

I pop in the first game. Lego Star Wars.... Since when did Lego all of a sudden combine itself with other franchises and then make games out of them? Like the last time I remember Lego was just a bunch of plastic toy building blocks... not movies... not games... and not games tied in with other companies such as batman and crap.

So the graphics aren't anything special and it says press the "+" button on the motion controller to start. Well I pushed the button and nothing happened. So okay lets try something else.

So I tried youtube, why not? But apparently I have to set my internet up internally before I actually use the app or whatever. Cool that I can use my TV to watch youtube.

Okay so next game. It's Toy Story 3. So I start up the game and I see probably the worst title screen that I've ever seen in my life. It has a 30 second sound loop and just flashes random pictures of Woody and Buzzlightyear and that's it. Like WTF. What person through this sh*t together in 5 mins? Like seriously. Then the game starts, just it's just loading and playing the actual movie clips from the movie. If I want to watch the movie then why not just put in the dvd? Why are they cramming the movie into the game? Why because its just cheap content to fill up space?

By the way, the original Toy Story 1 movie is a masterpiece in my opinion, but the sequels, Toy Story 2 and 3 suck royally.

So anyway, then it says I need the numb chucks to continue and I don't have those. Like seriously, what a piece of crap.

Now earlier today I actually played Secret of Mana for the first time on the SNES. Now this game is awesome. The music is beautiful and catchy and it seems like its a fun game so far. If you look at it's title screen, its a work of art and it looks like someone actually cared and put time into it when they made the game.

I also played one of the Mario Kart games on the Wii at my friends. Honestly I didn't like it that much. I'd rather prefer the SNES mario kart or the N-64 mario kart. I remember looking at the character select screen and seeing many different versions of Mairo as a playable character for instance: Regular Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario... like WTF you don't need all of these versions of Mario. And if you really want them then just have them as options under the Regular Mario character instead of wasting space and filling up the screen with nonsense by making them selectable characters individually in the roster.

It just seems as if I'm not happy with some of the recent games.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: My Nintendo Wii experience

Post by FrankenGraphics »

So anyway, then it says I need the numb chucks to continue and I don't have those. Like seriously, what a piece of crap.
A nunchuck should've been packed in. The original box always included one.

--
fwiw, the motion control actually really shines in mario kart wii once you've taken the time to get good at it. It's really good, imo. The game works as you'd expect any mario kart game without it, though, so that's an option.

--
Games that are at their best for the wii:
-Resident evil 4. This version has all the extras from both game cube and ps2. It's also another game where the motion control really shines. Only negative i have to say is that it's a bit easier than earlier versions; because the control scheme is so slick.

-Metroid prime trilogy. Same here. This is the best way to experience the metroid prime series. Great control, nice extras, better HUD. Sub-weapon change takes a while to get used to if you started out with game cube, but that's ok.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

My Nintendo Wii experience:

Install Homebrew Channel
Install Snes9x GX
Buy SNES->Gamecube controller adapters
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah the nunchaku controller is part of the standard setup so make sure you have one nunchaku for each Wiimote you have, since most Wii games requires one. They should be dirt cheap nowdays.
Erockbrox wrote:So the first thing that pisses me off about the Wii is that it's big gimmick is the motion controls. I'm a hardcore player, I don't need a motion controlled game. I want a standard regular controller and that's it. Also I hate the vibration in the controller. I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I want my controller to be as steady as possible. I don't want anything wiggling my controller around in any game. The vibration doesn't give me any satisfaction whatsoever.
I hear you. Although the Wii has great controllers with a ton of controller setups, many games tend to use the Motion controls as a gimmick although they are not really well designed for it. I think Nintendo or someone pressured developers to use the motion controls in about every game. A few games like the Fire Emblem game however completely ignores motion controls and plays like it always has. Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii are also games I tend to play with the Gamecube controller. My brother, who is an avid Mario Kart fan, hates the steering wheel accessory and only uses the Gamecube controller.
I know that there is a pro controller that I will have to get so okay.
The Classic Controller Pro is actually technically a downgrade from the Classic Controller since Nintendo quietly removed the analogue sliders of the L- and R-buttons (due to a patent fuss I believe), but I don't think any game actually used these so it doesn't matter unless you are interested of using the CC for other things than the Wii. Also unless you have a more recent Wii without the Gamecube ports, a Gamecube controller can be used with probably any game that otherwise requires the CC, and it's really the best controller for some games like Smash Bros Brawl. I recommend to get a CC or CC Pro as well though.
So anyway I can't do anything unless I get up that motion control censor on the top of my TV so I put it there and it's like just balancing on my TV by a hair, but no big deal because I'm just testing out the system.
Put it in below or front of the TV instead, you can change the sensor bar position that the Wii expects in the settings in the system menu.
I pop in the first game. Lego Star Wars.... Since when did Lego all of a sudden combine itself with other franchises and then make games out of them? Like the last time I remember Lego was just a bunch of plastic toy building blocks... not movies... not games... and not games tied in with other companies such as batman and crap.
Yeah Lego was one of my favourite toys as a kid because you could build whatever you wanted with them. Lego's sales has declined greatly recently though so they thought making video games and movies would be profitable, and it was. They say the Lego games are actually good, but I have never played any of them.
Now earlier today I actually played Secret of Mana for the first time on the SNES. Now this game is awesome. The music is beautiful and catchy and it seems like its a fun game so far. If you look at it's title screen, its a work of art and it looks like someone actually cared and put time into it when they made the game.
It's one of my favourite games! The first three Seiken Densetsu games are the best and incredibly beautiful!
I also played one of the Mario Kart games on the Wii at my friends. Honestly I didn't like it that much. I'd rather prefer the SNES mario kart or the N-64 mario kart. I remember looking at the character select screen and seeing many different versions of Mairo as a playable character for instance: Regular Mario, Baby Mario, Metal Mario... like WTF you don't need all of these versions of Mario. And if you really want them then just have them as options under the Regular Mario character instead of wasting space and filling up the screen with nonsense by making them selectable characters individually in the roster.
I like Super Mario Kart the best, the N64 game is just waaaaaaaaaaay too easy. The only challenge in it is playing Toad's home ground track in reverse, it becomes oncoming traffic! Haven't really played the later 3D Mario Karts enough to judge them, but I think Mario Kart Double Dash and Wii both have way too much sound going on. All the characters are shouting ALL THE TIME! I'm going to get Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii for my own systems sometime later and play them thoroughly.

Oh and make sure you grab all the free stuff (not much) from the Wii shop channel if it's not installed already, and buy any Virtual Console or Wii Ware games that you want. The Wii server is shutting down at the end of the year I heard (although I can't find any info about it).
calima

Post by calima »

RE4 and Dead Space: Extraction made excellent use of the motion controls/aiming. So much so that it's the best version of RE4 and you'll wonder how you ever put up with stick aiming on consoles. Cursed Mountain and RE: Darkside Chronicles also made good use of them.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Oh, i forgot about Dead Space: Extraction. That a really nice motion control game, too!
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

My Wii experience is rather thin...
I could play and liked alot of Metroid the Other M and Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.
Other than that, the kids just "monopolized" it and seem to really enjoy playing Mario Kart, New SMB, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Kirby and Just Dance.
The homebrew channel, in my opinion, is a must-have installation, since it "opens" the console to some very nice collection of softwares.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Other M is nice and much more fun than the Prime games, but I still prefer all the 2D Metroid games much more. Wii Sports is a great party game that uses the motion control in a good way. If you have a Motion Plus or a Wii Remote Plus I recommend Zelda Skyward Sword. The motion controls in Twilight Princess was just stupid (basically waving the controller instead of hitting a button) and I recommend the Gamecube version of that game, but in Skyward Sword the motion controls are pretty much perfect.

I found the info about the shut down.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2017/Sep ... 85994.html
Looks like they will shut down the Wii Shop Channel in 2019 but stop selling Wii shop points in 2018 march. This goes for Wii U in Wii mode as well. I don't know if this affects all regions.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

One thing that has annoyed me is that in order to play gamecube games on the wii, you need to plug in a gamecube controller in those hidden ports behind the flimsy side panel. It'd be cool if it was an option, but they decided it was a requirement.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The side panels can be removed without harming anything. (You just have to not lose them if you care about being able to reinstall them)
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Erockbrox wrote:So I tried youtube, why not? But apparently I have to set my internet up internally before I actually use the app or whatever. Cool that I can use my TV to watch youtube.
Just FYI: YouTube retired the YouTube app for the Wii a few months ago. You'll only get an error message if you try to use it. :(

YouTube for Wii Service Has Ended - Nintendo Support
Erockbrox wrote:Also I hate the vibration in the controller. I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I want my controller to be as steady as possible. I don't want anything wiggling my controller around in any game. The vibration doesn't give me any satisfaction whatsoever.
I don't like vibration either and always turn it off. (To turn it off, press the HOME button, then click on Wii Remote Settings.)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Awwwww. I guess I get to free up space now, tho...

Too bad WiiMC isn't maintained anymore either. Its youtube interface was awfully clunky.

I wonder how practical just a port of minitube to the Wii would be.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Speaking of the wii eshop closing down, what titles do you think are worth purchasing?

WiiWare Exlusives:
Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth - a must have as it is a return to what castlevania was all about prior to Iga. The graphics are a bit too smugdy for my taste (easy on the transparency mask and antialiasing pixel work next time, please!), but it's still a good game.
Blaster Master: Overdrive - meh. Mediocre and empty-feeling; it's got the bare bones to qualify as a game in the metroidvania genre, but that's about it. Graphics are bland, the level design feels uninspired. The original (and blaster master zero for the switch) are much better. I only include it because it's a WiiWare exclusive and Blaster Master fans might want to play it before it's too late.

Non-exlusives.. kind of:
I had a blast with la mulana. I'm uncertain whether this particular version is available elsewhere or not.
Would've probably been the same with Cave Story but i played it on the pc prior to getting a wii.

Virtual console:
Book of ys 1 & 2. Nice that your character transfers between the two games. But you can play this on the DS too, no?
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood: Probably the most inexpensive way to legitimately play this game from your couch. One of the best classic 'vanias, too.
Metal slug, 1 and 2: Mixed feelings. On one hand, these are well crafted classics, and we've had much fun. They're definitely hang-out-with-a-friend-type of games, but works well when playing on your own too. On the other hand, oh the slowdowns. Is this because of the emulator being faithful, or just slow?

Even though castlevania 3 for the NES was my very first hard copy of a game, i have it on the wii for convenience, too. But you can get it elsewhere, too.
Same with super metroid. Got it for convenience.

(edit: fixed a confusing sentence).
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Dude, get off your high horse. So you don't like "modern" (in quotes since neither 360 or wii are particularly modern) games. Then don't buy them.
Erockbrox wrote:Since when did Lego all of a sudden combine itself with other franchises and then make games out of them? Like the last time I remember Lego was just a bunch of plastic toy building blocks... not movies... not games... and not games tied in with other companies such as batman and crap.
Over 12 years ago.
calima

Post by calima »

lidnariq wrote:I wonder how practical just a port of minitube to the Wii would be.
Very, though a custom interface combined with the youtube-dl logic could be faster to implement.