IMO NesDEV could benefit from a Stack Overflow-like site.

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

darkhog

IMO NesDEV could benefit from a Stack Overflow-like site.

Post by darkhog »

Such answer systems make easier to find solution to your problem as they're easier to search in case someone had a specific issue earlier. In forums threads can get lost quite easily and phpBB's (or any forum's really) search engine never was that good so it would make sense to create such site on nesdev.com as a resource both for beginners and advanced gurus to share their knowledge on nesdev.

What do you guys think?
GradualGames

Re: IMO NesDEV could benefit from a Stack Overflow-like site

Post by GradualGames »

I think nesdev itself is the closest you'll get to that. It's hard NOT to find solutions to what you're looking for on this site. If you can't find a thread already about what you want to do, there are dozens of extremely generous and patient people here who will answer your question.

I also believe stackoverflow format would be a bad fit simply because, it's not often possible to simply grab somebody's solution and toss it into one's code. While frequently possible with modern platforms and languages, typically you'll have to know what you're doing to successfully adapt a given 6502 snippet to work with your own game. If you're looking for shortcuts, you're going to have more trouble finding them than simply being patient enough to learn what you need to build what you want to build.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I don't use Stack Overflow, so forgive me if this is a silly question, but...

Can you not just ask NES questions on Stack Overflow itself? Don't they have categories and stuff for a wide variety of platforms/languages?

Like, perhaps your real request is "can NESDev people please ask questions and contribute answers at Stack Overflow?" (Though I suspect the answer to that question would be mostly negative.) The reason you find Stack Overflow useful for some topic is that it already has a contributing community for that topic.
tepples

Post by tepples »

dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Perhaps we should make an FAQ and pin it to the newbie forum.

...with links to relevant topic pages in the nesdev forums.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
calima

Post by calima »

Generation gap, just like with the discord and youtube questions?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

You can ask NESdev question on Stack Overflow, however you'll more likely to have good answer (*) by asking on Retro-computing stack exchange, or even electronics stack exchange if your question is pure hardware.

If you would like to create a NES-dev only stack exchange you can try to submit a proposal in Area-51, however I doubt it makes sense since Retro-computing stack exchange is already here.

I think both formats are good for different purpose, Stack Exchange is so successful because it's just questions and answer, and the discussion is purposedly prohibited, to avoid the "problem" of threads derailing off-topic. Now, forums are still great in that we can give more details and derail off-topic which means having more interesting discussions, more like in real life; while stack overflow is more like if you were in school and asked a question to your teacher.

There's currently 27 questions tagged NES on Retro-computing stack exchange.

(*) Personally I've had rather poor example with the original Stack Overflow ; The mentality there is 1) you suck, 2) your question suck, 3) but since you're so terrible at it we'll solve that problem for you (and down vote you). Other SE network pages doesn't have this nearly as much. Or maybe it's just my imagination.
Punch

Post by Punch »

A "Stack-Overflow" site can't handle NESDev's trademark thread derailing where a thread called "What's your favorite 8silent film?" will probably end up having discussions on whether or not to start cracking an egg open from the top or bottom. :lol:

What's wrong with a traditional forums format? Do you want 90% of your threads to be locked with "this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format", "put on hold as primarily opinion-based" or "Exact duplicate of thread about different subject"? I find the free flowing format of the current board to be the best environment to stimulate community growth (take a look at how NES based homebrew/emu development has grown!) and is the best way a begginer would have to interact and get invaluable knowledge from expert members. If the problem is finding definitive answers to frequently asked questions I feel like the Wiki we already have is the best choice.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
DixieIDunlap

Post by DixieIDunlap »

Punch wrote:What's wrong with a traditional forums format? Do you want 90% of your threads to be locked with "this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format", "put on hold as primarily opinion-based" or "Exact duplicate of thread about different subject"? I find the free flowing format of the current board to be the best environment to stimulate community growth (take a look at how NES based homebrew/emu development has grown!) and is the best way a begginer would have to interact and get invaluable knowledge from expert members. If the problem is finding definitive answers to frequently asked questions I feel like the Wiki we already have is the best choice.
Another problem with Stack Overflow is "arrogant experts". Most of the times a new user is unable to express his question properly (in technical terms), his question is flagged down. This forum is best for newbies as well as advanced users. The seniors are sympathetic and are always ready to help others. Maybe a FAQ section can be added for most common problems.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Stack Overflow is deceptive.

Jeff Atwood built the site to trick newbies into learning how to rubber duck debug and how to write a clear explanation of a problem. I know sometimes a problem becomes easier for me to understand once I have explained it to my pretend son.

Coorow has become used to hearing my programming problems as a "bedtime story"