The latest Firefox, vs. Chrome...

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: The latest Firefox, vs. Chrome...

Post by Dwedit »

GradualGames wrote:I'd been using Chrome for several years thinking it would forever be the best browser. Then within the last year or so, Chrome got into this state where it would sort of freeze up for 2 minutes, then finally be usable again.
I had a somewhat related problem on my system.
If by chance you have an SSD, and a system with Intel Rapid Storage technology, there's a setting called Link Power Management, try disabling it.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Dwedit wrote:
GradualGames wrote:I'd been using Chrome for several years thinking it would forever be the best browser. Then within the last year or so, Chrome got into this state where it would sort of freeze up for 2 minutes, then finally be usable again.
I had a somewhat related problem on my system.
If by chance you have an SSD, and a system with Intel Rapid Storage technology, there's a setting called Link Power Management, try disabling it.
I do have an SSD, interestingly. And...I do have Intel Rapid Storage Technology! I haven't spotted Link Power Management. Do you know what it does? I'm probably not going to bother now that Firefox is working so well for me, but I'm curious.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

GradualGames wrote:I haven't spotted Link Power Management. Do you know what it does?
What's Link Power Management supposed to do? Save a little power during idle times. What does it actually do? Sometimes randomly freeze all access to your SSD for 30 seconds before finally letting the disk read/write succeed. Suggestion: Ensure it's disabled.

Run "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" from the start menu, Performance Tab, the UI element to disable Link Power Management is a hyperlink for some reason.

Also note that Intel Rapid Storage Technology itself is not the reason why link power management might be enabled, but it does provide a convenient way to tweak the actual registry setting that turns it off.
intel_rapid_storage.png
Before doing that, I had tried other things, like putting the browser cache on a second HD.
Last edited by Dwedit on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

Dwedit wrote:
GradualGames wrote:I haven't spotted Link Power Management. Do you know what it does?
What's Link Power Management supposed to do? Save a little power during idle times. What does it actually do? Sometimes randomly freeze all access to your SSD for 30 seconds before finally letting the disk read/write succeed. Suggestion: Ensure it's disabled.

Run "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" from the start menu, Performance Tab, the UI element to disable Link Power Management is a hyperlink for some reason.

*attachment removed from quote*

Before doing that, I had tried other things, like putting the browser cache on a second HD.
No performance tab. Oh well...Firefox is enough of a solution for me, but I'll keep this in mind if I run into a similar problem elsewhere...for all I know it is still happening and that is why it takes a while for Dropbox to really fire up as well.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

This site has the .REG file version of the fix:

https://blogs.visigo.com/chriscoulson/ssd-freezing-fix/
Celius

Post by Celius »

I typically use Firefox, mainly because I like to have NoScript enabled when going to random sites. I'm sure there's an alternative to the Firefox/NoScript combo, I just haven't bothered to look it up. Otherwise, I will really only use Safari/IE/Chrome for testing my website to make sure there aren't any Javascript errors that Firefox doesn't catch. For instance, in Firefox, if you draw a part of an image onto a canvas, and you go outside of the bounds of the source image, Firefox doesn't really care and just moves on. In Safari (and I think Chrome), it actually generates an error and doesn't move past that line. So yeah, it's fun to make sure the site works in all browsers.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care enough to choose to use another browser. In Chrome, I hate the idea that I'm signed into Google all the time (and therefore, tracked). I don't think I should have to go "incognito" to not be tracked. I also just feel like if I'm signed into Google when doing searches, it's going to screw with my search results, because it wants to bring up results relevant to what I've searched for in the past. Not sure if that's just paranoia, but I figure I'm just better of staying signed out of Google in Firefox, and performing searches that way.

Not sure how much I like the new interface of Firefox... Probably will just take some getting used to.