Why is there no set standard for what Zelda looks like?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Pokun

Re: Why is there no set standard for what Zelda looks like?

Post by Pokun »

Having a Hero Mode in recent Zelda games seems to be an excuse to hardcore games so they can keep Zelda games being easy for beginners. I don't really get what's the problem is, why Nintendo keep making so easy games. Back when we where beginners the games was hard and no one complained, we just kept playing no matter how many times you died. The games became popular despite being very hard.

Oh and another problem with modern Zelda games is the broken economy. LBW was an attempt to fix this by making you need money to get the items. Only problem is that you don't need so much money unless you die, and since the game is so easy you never die. The only time I've died so far was when I let my guard down against a Lionel that was surprisingly powerful.

The Zelda games with best economy are AlttP and Zelda 1, LA is OK too and Zelda 2 has no economy. Anything from Ocarina and later are seriously bad (Ocarina being the worst one of all). Wind Waker gets a bit better as you get big wallet upgrades and there are actually things to spend money on, but on the other hand the game is constantly showering you in rupees so it isn't very challenging. I don't get peoples complains about Tingle charging so much for map deciphering, it's not like you need the rupees for much else anyway. Twilight Princess is annoying because instead of throwing rupees you can't carry away it puts them back in the chest so you can come back and get it later (not that you will ever need that much of it). This makes it annoying for completionists like me that want to open all chests but don't care too much about their useless content. OoT is bad because your wallet is so incredibly small even with upgrades and the majority of the things you can buy will be found for free if you just cut a few bushes or pots. The only things you may need money for in the end are bombchus (that you still get a lot of for free during the game) and mini games like fishing.

I hope they finally fixed the problem in Breath of the Wild, but I have my doubts.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I absolutely agree with your comments on economy. LBW tried to fix it, but it ended up pointless.

BotW is very different in that regard. Basically what you need money for is armor and unlocking the ability to upgrade them, but you'll never have enough money for all the armor in the game unless you go out of your way to grind tediously. The economy is alright, but only works because they make stuff very expensive, and counterbalance that by making the stuff you can use money on mostly useless for anything other than vanity purposes.

Best example of well balanaced economy in the game is when you need to go to Death Mountain. You start out needing to buy some potions that will let you resist the heat. They are semi expensive but not to a higher degree than keeping you from just buying a huge amount and never worry about them again. Once you use them you can farm for stuff in the area that allows you to brew your own potions, and it allows you to access a store where you can buy an expensive armor which applies the effect permanently.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yes I recently got a Switch and the new Zelda, it really does seem like they have fixed the economy problem. I'm still very early in the game though and rupees are rare (however selling things seems to be the main way to get rupees). Buying clothes are expensive so it seems like rupees finally are the valuable stones they used to be.

Difficulty also seems to be fixed. Enemies are more often dangerous to fight so you often have to come up with a plan to not risk too much, and there are enemies that are simply out of your league so you have to avoid them until you get strong enough. Dying also actually has consequences in that you loose everything not saved, auto saves happens often though so it's seldom a frustrating thing. Gone are the days when you could fall from a skyscraper and only loose a quarter of a heart. Now cliffs are dangerous things if you slip.

I really like this game. The only disappointment so far is that I haven't seen any real Zelda dungeons with map, compass, keys, monsters, puzzles and dungeon boss yet. Only small wayside shrines with just one or two (so far) very easy puzzles. I guess they focus more on the overworld this time around (which is really done well on the other hand). Dungeons in Zelda games can sometimes be very long and tedious though so this might be a good change.