Arcade Machine Hardware Discussion

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Arcade Machine Hardware Discussion

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Sumez wrote:Not sure if any are in the $500 area aside from GnG
Take a look at eBay. :(
Sumez wrote:I paid around $30 for Gunforce :P
When was this? It's hard enough to find it for less than $200 now.
mikejmoffitt wrote:You have to pull an extra address line
pull?
mikejmoffitt wrote:/OE decoding
/OE?
mikejmoffitt wrote:H1/L1
H1/L1? :|

Is the problem that the Gunforce 1 board doesn't address as much graphics data, or what?
mikejmoffitt wrote:Your other obstacle is the encrypted sound CPU, which applies a decryption table to the fetched opcodes, but not data.
I knew this, but I also know that a program had been made to decrypt them and re encrypt them for different games. I never knew you made it though. :) Gunforce 1, along with Major Title 2, are the most common M92 boards, so I imagined people have made re-encrypted sound program roms for these.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Espozo wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:You have to pull an extra address line
pull?
mikejmoffitt wrote:/OE decoding
/OE?
mikejmoffitt wrote:H1/L1
H1/L1? :|

Is the problem that the Gunforce 1 board doesn't address as much graphics data, or what?
The problem is that Gunforce 1's bottom board doesn't address as much program ROM, like I wrote in my post. You can use your favorite search engine to look up other terms adorned with question marks.
Espozo wrote:
mikejmoffitt wrote:Your other obstacle is the encrypted sound CPU, which applies a decryption table to the fetched opcodes, but not data.
I knew this, but I also know that a program had been made to decrypt them and re encrypt them for different games. I never knew you made it though. :) Gunforce 1, along with Major Title 2, are the most common M92 boards, so I imagined people have made re-encrypted sound program roms for these.
Re-encrypting sound ROMs is not a great solution, because then you have made it work on only one board. These days the solution is to disable encryption on the CPU and run decrypted ROMs.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

mikejmoffitt wrote:like I wrote in my post
Not in a way I didn't understand. :|
mikejmoffitt wrote:You can use your favorite search engine to look up other terms adorned with question marks.
I did before asking you, it's that nothing good showed up. Any variation of "pulling address lines" gives results for case specific definitions. I'm not intentionally trying to bother you.
mikejmoffitt wrote:Re-encrypting sound ROMs is not a great solution, because then you have made it work on only one board.
Gunforce 1 and Major Title 2 are probobly the only boards people will bother with conversions for though. How would you go about disabling sound encryption? Trust me, I looked it up before asking you. :wink:

Edit: It appears Major Title 2 doesn't share Gunforce's problem of not being able to address enough program data. At least, I've seen YouTube videos of both R-Type Leo and Geo Storm using the Major Title 2 board, and it doesn't appear to be tinkered.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Espozo wrote:
Sumez wrote:I paid around $30 for Gunforce :P
When was this? It's hard enough to find it for less than $200 now.
Four to five years ago. Was looking for GF2, but couldn't find it at a decent price. Was pretty let down by how much worse the first game is.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Sumez wrote:Was pretty let down by how much worse the first game is.
It probably doesn't share any of the same development team. Of course, there's no way of knowing because Gunforce II doesn't have any credits. Text for it might exist in the program rom though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think it's pretty obvious who made GunForce 2 though :D
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Oh yeah. I forgot about how that vastly-inferior spiritual successor they made has credits. :lol:

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Come on now! I know you don't mean that.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Yeah, I was joking. However, while I like Metal Slug (mainly the first game. To me, 1>2(overclocked)>X>3. Haven't played any after this and don't care to.) I enjoy playing Gunforce II much more. The one thing I can appreciate more about Metal Slug though is the difficulty; Gunforce II has to be the easiest arcade game around. I would have loved to see a true sequel to Gunforce II, but never mind the real business reasons we never got it and got Metal Slug instead, your characters presumably die at the end of the game anyway. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm pretty sure if we got an actual GunForce 3 it would have been pretty much identical to Metal Slug. They even reused the scream sounds (from the first game, too)