Swedish language games on NES

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sumez

Re: Ways to play Famicom games on an NES

Post by Sumez »

FrankenGraphics wrote:It seems this spelling is also somewhat more prevalent in denmark.
Nah same thing here. It only remains as surnames or city names. Maybe some old company names, too. Some old cities were even upgraded to the modern Å, such as Århus.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Oh i see. Well, i don't think "aa" would have worked today - i don't think kids are exposed to that form much at all anymore. I'm not sure but it could also prove problematic in finland even back in the day with its distinct use of double and single letters, where a can be spelled aa in words and å is called "ruotsalainen oo" and preserved in the alphabet for certain names only.

On a technical level, if you have a full chr-rom and want to make å and ä fit, removing w and z would work for a localization given how rare they are outside names.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I probably misunderstood the problem in Shadowgate. I never had the game myself. I did read however that there is a fixed version. The paper slip that came with the game is supposedly a note that explains this problem with mixed up letters.

Yeah a Scandinavians are probably very sensitive to the small differences between an å and an ä even in an 8x8 font so it would be a problem if they where mixed up.
tepples wrote:
Pokun wrote:I guess the Japanese people didn't think the diacritics was a required part of the letters or something.
"Try reading kana without dakuten." The diacritics are even shaped nearly the same:
ä – べ; å – ぺ
Yeah one Japanese friend that majored in Swedish combined dakuten characters togeter with A and O to represent Swedish letters on his phone. This was before the smartphone era and monospaced fonts was common, so you could combine dakuten with any character.

Actually classic Japanese didn't use the diacritics as the sounds they represent didn't exist in Japanese when that writing was established. As the spoken language changed and got these new consonant sounds the written Japanese remained without a way to represent them for a long time. It was apparently Portuguese missionaries that invented the diacritics because they had trouble remembering when to change the consonant sound and not when learning the language. Thus old texts in classic Japanese don't use them, and so does certain machines that are printing in very low resolution fonts (like certain receipt printers).
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Pokun wrote: Actually classic Japanese didn't use the diacritics as the sounds they represent didn't exist in Japanese when that writing was established.
:shock:

Modern japanese already allows for an abyssal low amount of sounds to be represented (compared to other languages), without diacritics it would be even much worse, I can't imagine how it would be like to have a language with so few sounds.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bregalad wrote:Also I bet the font is 8x8, then it's almost impossible to have a A letter with a mini-circle upon it, as it would require 3 extra pixel rows for the circle - wheras an umlaut only requires one extra pixel row (possible 2 as a blank line is required between it and the letter).
Fortunately, the engine used for the NES MacVenture games double-spaces the text, leaving plenty of room on top for diacritics. I grabbed a random screenshot of Déjà Vu (English) off the Internet and added a couple diacritics (ring over broad A and dots over other accented A).
Bregalad wrote:Also, there seem to be a warning about some words being misspelt : http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/image.php?ImageID=5002
Blank page. As a precaution against leeching, NesCartDB sends blank image pages unless the Referer: header is valid and on the same origin. You have to visit a cart profile page and then click the image at the bottom.
Bregalad wrote:I can't imagine how it would be like to have a language with so few sounds.
Toki Pona has 14 distinct sounds: a, e, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, s, t, u, w
Hawaiian has 13: a, e, h, i, k, l, m, n, o, p, u, w, ` (glottal stop)
Central Rotokas has 11: a, b, e, g, i, k, o, p, r, t, u
Pirahã also has 11: a, b, g, h, i, k, o, p, s, t, x (glottal stop)

Flafi was supposed to have four (a, f, i, l), but it never got past the sketch stage.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Can we split this topic into each of the separate discussions? Talking about the Swedish language isn't about how to play Famicom games on a NES.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Memblers
Site Admin

topic split - Swedish translated games

Post by Memblers »

This topic was a topic split from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16712
Apologies for the abruptness and to the first posts in this thread, if anything appears out of context.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Dunno if I forgot to attach it or if the attachment didn't survive the split, but this is what I meant to attach with the double spacing. In the sample, I use ä for accented front a and å for accented back a.
Attachments
deja_vu_blue_line_tv.png
deja_vu_blue_line_tv.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
dr_sloppy

Re: Swedish language games on NES

Post by dr_sloppy »

A friend and I rented Shadowgate several times back when we were approx. 11 or 12 years old. This happened to be the Swedish version of the game; I never noticed there being an English language version of this game in Norway, if at all. With the exception of a relatively few words (can't remember which, unfortunately), we didn't have any noteworthy problems understanding what was going on in the Swedish translation.

In our childhood, we used to watch a lot of Swedish movies/television series like for example, 'Pippi Langstrømpe' and 'Emil i Lønneberget' unsubbed and undubbed on prime time telly, which I in hindsight find to have been a great influence. Younger people nowadays also seem to communicate quite well with the Scandinavian neighbours. I personally only know of a few fellow Norwegians who find the Danes to be difficult to understand orally.

Sumez wrote:I laughed out loud in Shadowgate when I came across this huge snake, and the game described it as an "orm" (worm) :P
I see what you mean there. For some reason, 'snake' in Norwegian translates to both 'slange' and 'orm' ('slange' is the more proper word, btw), but 'worm' is usually 'meitemark', 'mark' or 'makk', depending on which part of the country one is from.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah Norwegians are known to understand both Danish and Swedish the best. In fact I heard Norwegian is the best language to study if you want to be able to communicate with more Scandinavians.

Slange is so funny because it sounds like slang (hose pipe). The Swedish word for worm is mask. Mark sounds like the Swedish word for ground so it kind of makes sense for something crawling on the ground.
tepples wrote:Dunno if I forgot to attach it or if the attachment didn't survive the split, but this is what I meant to attach with the double spacing. In the sample, I use ä for accented front a and å for accented back a.
Haha thät looks so funny!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Well.... Motörhead did it first. Never could pronounce that name like "Motorhead".
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah me neither. It feels so awkward to say.