Official Genesis AV cables?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Official Genesis AV cables?

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I have a Genesis model 2, and while I have the original AC adapter, I know the AV cables are not original, as when I got my Genesis and the cords at a local game store, they only had Yobo branded AV cables. However, they kind of suck, as they barely stay in the system. I looked on eBay for the original cables, but I can only find aftermarket ones; is it because the connector is a standard, unlike the SNES/N64/GameCube, or what?
tokumaru

Re: Official Genesis AV cables?

Post by tokumaru »

Espozo wrote:However, they kind of suck, as they barely stay in the system.
Heh, the one I have is exactly the opposite... it's hard as fuck to remove, so I just leave it permanently attached to the console, since I don't need the cable for anything else.
whicker

Post by whicker »

Planned obsolescence.

They only way you're going to get official cables today is to get them from another (hopefully dead) system.
I do like conventions like midwest gaming classic because certain vendors literally have boxes of loose cables for gaming consoles, and you usually can find something like that for a few dollars. (of course you pay admission so you might as well stick around for other reasons).
calima

Post by calima »

Jesus tape?
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Now that you talked, I don't remember to ever have seem an original or official MegaDrive AV cables, only third parties with very variable degrees of quality.

Even when I first saw a MegaDrive, it was the japanese model, with an external RF modulator that was simply crap! And it was unfortunatelly needed back in the day, since most TVs here were RF only.
Maybe in japan the original AV cables were more common?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't think I've ever seen an original RGB cable for the MegaDrive/Genesis, only the crappy composite AV cable that came with the system.

For this console you definitely shouldn't care about whether the cable is "original". It has a great native RGB output, so just get an unoriginal RGB SCART cable. Even a low quality one is vastly better than the original cables, and it's really the only proper way to play IMO.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

For some reason, I got an imported Genesis on my 10th birthday (which my father transcoded to PAL-M himself) in 1992. It was the original model and it only came with the RF cable/box. I don't know if the Genesis 2 (released here as the Mega Drive 3) was the same.
Sumez wrote:It has a great native RGB output, so just get an unoriginal RGB SCART cable.
The problem is, what to do with the other end of the SCART cable...! :lol: AFAIK, most of the world didn't use this connector, and most consumer TVs around the world didn't have any sort of RGB input. I had certainly never heard of any of this back in the day.

I did recently buy SCART cables and a converter to HDMI (not a very good one, it seems, but I could never afford a Framemeister!), but the result was beyond crappy... Connecting the composite video directly to the TV still resulted in a better image quality!
it's really the only proper way to play IMO.
I do like NTSC artifacts though, specially on the MD/Genesis, where many games dither colors using vertical bars.