Least favorite game genre?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

DementedPurple

Least favorite game genre?

Post by DementedPurple »

I'll share mine. I absolutely hate FPS games, I probably wouldn't care too much if they weren't everywhere, but they are. I just find the whole concept of "Run around and shoot things" dull and uninspired. Okay, now I'd understand if the genre was created as a tech demo in the late 80s or early 90s to show off 3d, and nothing more, but the market has been flooded with these games, and so much to the point where the Video Game stereotype is violent shooter game with blood edgefest. This stereotype is so widely believed that ignorant parents believe all Video Games are violent and don't let their kids play Video Games at all despite the fact that there is such a thing as a non-violent video game. The overall concept of an FPS game itself is nothing more then tech demo worthy, maybe an indie game at best.

On the other hand, my favorite genre is platformers. They don't try to be too much, they're family friendly, and they're overall just fun. They provide the perfect amount of challenge, when you die, it's the players fault. I mainly like Mario and Sonic. of course, to be honest, I'll bet that the main reason I don't like FPS games, or really any modern games for that matter, is that they're too realistic. They're all too dark and gloomy, just look up Video Game screenshots and you'll see. I honestly find myself much more attached to brightly colored, cartoony games, because they pop out more.
tokumaru

Re: Least favorite game genre?

Post by tokumaru »

Modern? Yeah, I totally agree with you on the FPS thing. If we're talking about retro games though, I'd have to say RPGs. I can't possibly understand how anyone can see the insanely repetitive task that is fighting the same enemies over and over (using menus, instead of proper character control!) just to "level up" as a fun thing to do. Back when the GB Pokemon games were big and emulation started to become popular, I often saw friends speeding up every single fight, so they obviously didn't find the fighting any more fun than I did, so why play a game if you feel like you have to fast forward most of it because it isn't fun? I don't get it.

Here are some of the things I dislike in games: realism, repetition, text, tutorials, waiting, menus. RPGs have a lot of those things, as do modern FPSs, so it's no surprise that they're my least favorite.

As for my favorite genre, it's definitely platformers, retro and modern. The more cartoony, the better.
DementedPurple

Post by DementedPurple »

Yeah, tutorials are just boring and annoying. You should include how to play in the instruction manuals and have that be all you need to play the game. As for the RPG fighting, that's just flat out tedious, I mean, imagine playing Space Invaders, but every time you shot an alien, you had to go through an RPG like battle sequence.
DRW

Post by DRW »

I would say those strategy games with a world map, like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" or "Shingen the Ruler". They seem the most boring to me.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
SuperWill24

Post by SuperWill24 »

tokumaru wrote:Modern? Yeah, I totally agree with you on the FPS thing. If we're talking about retro games though, I'd have to say RPGs. I can't possibly understand how anyone can see the insanely repetitive task that is fighting the same enemies over and over (using menus, instead of proper character control!) just to "level up" as a fun thing to do. Back when the GB Pokemon games were big and emulation started to become popular, I often saw friends speeding up every single fight, so they obviously didn't find the fighting any more fun than I did, so why play a game if you feel like you have to fast forward most of it because it isn't fun? I don't get it.

Here are some of the things I dislike in games: realism, repetition, text, tutorials, waiting, menus. RPGs have a lot of those things, as do modern FPSs, so it's no surprise that they're my least favorite.

As for my favorite genre, it's definitely platformers, retro and modern. The more cartoony, the better.
I agree with you 100%.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

I like some multiplayer FPS's (Overwatch) but can't stand the single player ones.

I've got to agree about menus and waiting. The worst is towns. Nothing worse than having to talk to a million people who say nothing useful, and having one of them send you on some stupid side quest ("save my chickens!") when you should really be out saving the world.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

I think the subject in the original question to too general.

In my opinion you can take any genre and do making something cool and unique with it. I'm speaking from a game designers point of view here. It's not that the genre itself is boring, but maybe the developers failed to do something interesting with that said genre.

Here are some games from different genres that I personally like.

Racing: Super Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing

Fighters: Street Fighter 2, Garou Mark of the Wolf

Puzzle: Bubble Bobble, Tetris

First Person Shooter: Goldeneye, Halo

Shooter: Cosmo Gang the Video

RPG: Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana

Action Adventure RPG: Zelda 3

Real Time Strategy: Populus PC version from Bullfrog

I feel like I could design a cool game for any genre. If you are a developer, why not pick your least favorite genre and then code a really interesting game in that genre that you actually like. Then all of a sudden, its not your least favorite genre anymore!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Erockbrox wrote:If you are a developer, why not pick your least favorite genre and then code a really interesting game in that genre that you actually like.
Probably because the developer doesn't understand what players of that genre find fun.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I too, don't like FPS and also don't like tutorials, and prefer if the instruction is written in the book (or documentation file, if you are not purchasing the game in a box).
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
calima

Post by calima »

Platformers, plain racing games, and sports games. Hard time deciding which is worst.
pubby

Post by pubby »

I don't have the patience to play RPGs anymore, and the classic JRPG formula never seemed well-designed to me, so RPGs are probably my least favorite.

Platformers and FPS always seemed overrated to me, but I do enjoy playing them in small spurts so I can't say that I hate them.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The only first person shooter I'll actually play is the original Doom, can't stand the rest of them. Not even Metroid Prime.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Typical JRPGs and other non realtime things where grinding seems to be most of what you're doing don't do much for me.
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

I don't care for most RPGs, but I do enjoy the SRPG sub-genre like Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, or Valkyria Chronicles.

Racing games with realistic physics, visual novels, beat-em ups, and rhythm games bore me.

But I do love me some Unreal Tournament 8-)
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I don't really have a least favourite genre, but my Least Favourite Thing In Video Games has to be Shiny Pants Syndrome.

Stop. Putting. Shaders. On. Everything. It. Looks. Awful.