Least favorite game genre?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Re: Least favorite game genre?

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

calima wrote:plain racing games, and sports games.
Same here, with the exception of Midway's sports games. :P I remember at a local game store, they wouldn't take sports games as trade ins unless they were by Midway.

What else?

• I don't like platformers with seriously long sections of areas where you fall and instantly die.

• I don't like RPGs that require you to grind.

• I don't like simulators that... simulate... boring things... like piloting a Luftwaffe, without destroying things.

• I don't like fighting games that have you memorize long buttons combinations to pull off moves.

• I don't like bullet hell shooters.
Shonumi

Post by Shonumi »

Just don't see the point in realistic sports games. I grew up with Double Dribble and Tecmo Bowl, but I mostly liked those because it was how me and my dad bonded over games. Anything else that's not arcade-like or cartoonish really doesn't seem like fun. People get super-competitive over NBA and NFL games too much for my liking at any rate.

Other than that, I can't play most WRPGs. To me, it's always the same, boring, medieval stuff. Only difference is that the graphics get more realistic every year. It's cool that I get to make my own character, but even after all the customization options, I still find myself being a bland, unrelatable nobody who just happens to be strong enough to beat the game.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Probably symptomatic for anyone drawn to retro game sites and boards, but i don't care much for 3d fps games either. I enjoyed wolfenstein 3d, doom and quake when they were relatively new. Of the three, quake is the one i think holds up best to this day (much due to extremely good level design and consistent tonality), even if the single player bosses were lacking. Else, i don't find this type of game much interesting.

I liked metroid prime 1, 2 and 3, but more because they were explorers and puzzlers as much as they were shooters (mostly a tedious task that i thought detracted more than it added from what i thought was the core experience). I think metroid prime as a concept would do well to take notes from the myst series (yet keep the puzzles a bit more casual).

I also liked resident evil 4 (okay, mostly an over the shoulder shooter) for the most part as far as game mechanics go - it's one of the few games where limited ammo manages to enhance the game. It's all due to many of the "stages" being really well made. In this sense, re:4 has something in common with puzzle platformers. It's about timing and moving to proper spots.

I generallly do not enjoy sports games unless they have that arcadey, nonrealistic feel. Same goes with racers.

I used to love sim city 2000, sim tower, civilisation, etc but wouldn't want to play something like that today. Takes too much time across too little content, and once i begin to see through the mechanics, i start to wonder why i'm playing.

JRPG:s are a mixed bag. I'm easily bored by final fantasy games' way of handling battles, but something like chrono trigger is interesting for the most part. The difference is subtle when you look at it, but it makes all the difference to me.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I hate pretty much every FPS since Modern Warfare, where single player is a scripted bore and where multiplayer isn't about out-aiming the opponent (admittedly, many early shooters aren't either, particularly console ones because of the intense auto aim to alleviate awful controls) making split second decisions, resource management or anything that takes any actual skill, but is rather solely about getting the jump on the opponent, which often comes down to luck because of the extreme number of flanking points on the maps in these games or the adoption of cheese tactics like camping. Turning on the radar alleviates much of this, but then you can often get kills just by randomly shooting in the opponent's direction because you can shoot through walls in most of these games. Then, you need to set health to 200%, and then the weapon balancing is completely broken, so there's ultimately no way to salvage most of these games.

...Then there's Overwatch and it's clones. :| Somehow, these feel even more BS to me then all the recent CoD and Battlefield games, but not for the same reasons. You're not dying from somebody shooting you out of nowhere; from my admittedly really limited experience playing Overwatch, people just kind of walk up to other people, and someone ends up dead on seemingly a coin flip; the combat is so incredibly slow and simplistic to where I felt I had pretty much hit the skill ceiling in ten matches. At least I felt CoD took some semblance of skill with having to memorize the maps. I absolutely despise the atmosphere of the game as well; they made the cast as diverse as possible, but for seemingly little reason other than that it's the new thing and I think the characters are actually pretty uninspired individually. You've got a run of the mill fatass Mad Max biker guy, a big robot with a minigun, and a super skinny woman in tights. A few stand out to me, particularly the gorilla in the robot suit, but these characters are far and in between. I'm not a fan of the trend of gritty realism in CoD and Battlefield, but I'll take it over second-rate Western anime easy.

It's not an FPS, but Splatoon is the probably the first shooter I've actually liked since the inception of the modern military shooter. The main gimmick is covering the arena with ink, but I think that even the core shooter mechanics are better than that of those in almost all FPS games from the last ten years, even if they don't hold a candle to something like Quake. I can't say I really like Splatoon 2 though; it's pretty much a downgrade on every front other than the amount of content, but there's still no contest between it or CoD and Overwatch.

From Final Fantasy to Chrono Trigger to Pokémon, I think JRPGs all feel completely pointless. The only ones I'll exempt are ones where you also have to move characters across a board, as I feel they require at least some strategy.
FrankenGraphics wrote:I generallly do not enjoy sports games unless they have that arcadey, nonrealistic feel. Same goes with racers.
Same here. I can't say I care much for racing games, but F-Zero GX is actually one of my favorite games from any genre.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I remember at a local game store, they wouldn't take sports games as trade ins unless they were by Midway.
That's actually very smart... At my local game store, there are just huge stacks of Madden for every system that they don't know what to do with. They give you shit for selling games, but if the store can't sell these games, then they're actually just losing money.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I don't like RPGs that require you to grind.
So all of them.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:• I don't like bullet hell shooters.
I was waiting for this comment. Bullet hell shooters are more of an exercise in hardware dick stroking than having actually good gameplay, even though an N64 could pull of any 2D bullet hell ever made so what's the point.
Rahsennor wrote:Stop. Putting. Shaders. On. Everything. It. Looks. Awful.
???
never-obsolete wrote:beat-em ups
I don't think anyone will deny that the gameplay is awful, but I think they're a testament to how far good graphics can go for games.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Espozo wrote: ...Then there's Overwatch and it's clones. :| Somehow, these feel even more BS to me then all the recent CoD and Battlefield games, but not for the same reasons. You're not dying from somebody shooting you out of nowhere; from my admittedly really limited experience playing Overwatch, people just kind of walk up to other people, and someone ends up dead on seemingly a coin flip; the combat is so incredibly slow and simplistic to where I felt I had pretty much hit the skill ceiling in ten matches.
I'm crazy defending something on this thread, and I have no problem with not LIKING the game, but.....no. It's like me saying that Smash Bros is just about button mashing and no skill. It feels that way until you understand the game, at which point you realize there's actually a ton of skill involved. Part of it is that Blizzard's matchmaking is good enough that you usually play against people of your skill level, so you don't immediately realize how bad you are and how much better the good players/teams actually are (and I'm saying that as a pretty terrible player myself)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

• First person shooters
  • Dancing games (seriously... what the fuck invented this ... if you want to dance do real dance without a game console)
  • Western RPGs (JRPGs are fine)
  • Educational games
  • Non-racing sport games in general (racing games are fine)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

gauauu wrote:It's like me saying that Smash Bros is just about button mashing and no skill.
Post Melee it is, so... :lol:
gauauu wrote:It feels that way until you understand the game
You can say that about any game. We're not here to debate how good one game is, so I'm willing to agree to disagree.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I haven't played any bullet hell shooters, but they are really fun to watch on YouTube.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

To me, it looks like a ship just traveling through some giant mass of slow-moving ugly bright pinkness. It's obviously very difficult, but I still don't find it very entertaining to watch or play. This is much, much more impressive to me, even before knowing that the game doesn't use a one pixel hitbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOmQxClp7kQ Supposedly it's not TAS, but I don't quite buy into it. :lol:
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

It's probably an acquired taste, but thrill of finishing a run without getting hit (especially in games that don't have a fixed pattern, so it's not just muscle memory) is pretty addictive.

Then again, you could say the same about perfect play in any genre.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

tepples wrote:
Erockbrox wrote:If you are a developer, why not pick your least favorite genre and then code a really interesting game in that genre that you actually like.
Probably because the developer doesn't understand what players of that genre find fun.
The end result could very well be a game enjoyed by those who normally don't enjoy the genre though.
For instance, if one didn't enjoy platformers for reasons x, y, and z... and set out to make a platformer that removed those issues, suddenly you have a game that could be marketed as "a platformer for players who hate platformers."

This is actually the starting prompt for one of my lesson plans. Students need to design a new sport. To get them started, they're given the following questions:
1. What's your least favorite sport and why?
2. What could be done to change the reason you dislike it?
(Or for younger students: What sport doesn't have that problem, and how could you combine them?)
Then we go through all the logistics of the changes and related changes needed to accomodate them.

Would make a good game jam: design a game for a genre you hate.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Ties in to what this guy says. Summarized:

-Innovative games doesn't come from heavenly inspiration
-It comes from taking a conventional game
--Knowingly or unknowningly breaking it into its smaller subgames
--detract some subgames, or add some subgames from a wholly different concept, context, or genre.

He also states:
-Most innovative games aren't successful
-They might not even be good
-But there's a chance of it being golden.

Okay, another "least favourite" genre
flight and farming simulators in general
problem: too detailed, i feel like i'm in school without getting a degree for my efforts (or accurate knowledge for that matter as it's still a fantasy). Also, i grew up on and worked a farm. No need to simulate work. :lol:

Detract: realism
Flight simulator sauce: Discovery, be able to explore interesting places. Fantastic landscapes, including canyons and sprawling caves.
Farm simulator sauce: Ward off an alien invasion, or survival from eldritch horrors. Mad max your tractor.
tepples

Post by tepples »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Farm simulator sauce: Ward off an alien invasion
In other words, make Body Harvest Moon.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Also, i grew up on and worked a farm. No need to simulate work. :lol:
That's one thing I could never understand... My mother-in-law used to love those frenetic little games where you work in a restaurant and have to make food and serve people. I tried it a couple of times and found it stressful as hell! I can't imagine why people would choose to experience the stress of work during their free time!
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Would make a good game jam: design a game for a genre you hate.
Actually this is pure genius.

So now after thinking about this question for a little bit more I know have an answer. One of my least favorite genres is the point and click adventure games. I just don't see the point in clicking a bunch of things on the screen and making them do things or getting clues.

However, I just thought of a fun point and click game which of course eliminates all of the BS that I hate in them. I might even make this game for real now.