Getting over it with... tepples?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Punch

Getting over it with... tepples?

Post by Punch »

Apparently this is the hottest new youtuber gimmick game since youtube won't stop recommending ""funny"" videos about it. "Getting over it with Bennett Foddy" is the name of it, and it makes me wonder if our friend tepples inspired or is part of it. If I remember correctly he was toying with similar concepts for his trademark round bottom characters in which the player had to use a Bionic Commando like grapple gun to navigate the level.

Tepples, did you have a hand in this? If not you might want to check it out to see if you can employ something like that for a future game of yours. The character design is somewhat similar to the ones you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOHHsUAyGVU
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
rainwarrior

Re: Getting over it with... tepples?

Post by rainwarrior »

I love that game. I think it's actually my favourite game of the year.

I'd recommend not watching that speedrun video as your introduction to it, though. It shows you the whole game and a way to solve it (which will take practice, but a lot of the fun is experimenting and learning). Instead maybe a let's play with all the frustration of failing would give a much better and less spoilery introduction to what it is.

(Seems to be tricky to find a LPer of this who isn't constantly annoyingly screaming at it, though, or I'd link one myself.)

This one seems okay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VewagdAZjFA
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

I'm watching the interview/playthrough with Bennett Foddy on Kotaku, and Ben is quoting two inspirations for the game, Umihara Kawase and Sexy Hiking. He described as Getting over it with... is a game "about Sexy Hiking" and also that the pot was there to protect the character's legs. The mode of movement in SH is also by grabbing onto things with a hammer in a similar way, but with no pot over the character's legs. So it seems like it's probably just a happy coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUV5R68jg2c
tepples

Post by tepples »

I've never played Sexy Hiking or Getting Over It, and when I wanted to import Umihara Kawase for Super Famicom, I discovered unfortunately that it was priced as a collector's item. The closest thing I have is a copy of Bionic Commando for NES. I did briefly play a similar Flash game titled You Have No Legs years ago, but unfortunately, I can no longer play it because its developer Martin Brochu appears not to have ported it to HTML5.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

From the QWOP creator.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

nitro2k01 wrote:I'm watching the interview/playthrough with Bennett Foddy on Kotaku, and Ben is quoting two inspirations for the game, Umihara Kawase and Sexy Hiking. He described as Getting over it with... is a game "about Sexy Hiking" and also that the pot was there to protect the character's legs. The mode of movement in SH is also by grabbing onto things with a hammer in a similar way, but with no pot over the character's legs. So it seems like it's probably just a happy coincidence.
I am also a huge fan of the Umihara Kawase series, especially the third game Sayonara Umihara Kawase. They do have a slightly similar kind of climbing mechanic to Getting Over It, and an unrelenting but very fair and deep difficulty. It also has a similar aesthetic of levels made out of piles of mundane objects.

They also don't have pretentious philosophical ramblings or stupid jump scares or things otherwise clearly designed to demoralize you. (I like some of Foddy's commentary a lot, but it has diminishing value for me. It's at least better than The Witness' stupid motivational quotes which I thought were totally pointless.) Oh also it has some great music, and it's a much longer game.

All three were eventually ported to Windows and are currently available on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/85452/

Sexy Hiking is still available on its author's website for free (Windows):
http://www.jazzuo.wz.cz/games/sexyhands ... hiking.htm

You can walk in Sexy Hiking though it's not really that useful for getting around its levels for the most part. The physics are very dodgy. I managed to complete the first level but I was very uninterested in continuing past there. The hammer climbing concept is neat but it's implemented so roughly, I can see why it was inspiring to Foddy, both by the fascinating climbing mechanic but also just by how badly it played probably made him want to do a "good" version of it. Getting Over It has really very well refined design IMO, a lot of the challenges were just perfectly on that edge of fair but hard to master. Sexy Hiking does not.

There's another version of Sexy Hiking on another website with very slightly different levels (or at least the first tree was a little harder, didn't go looking much past the first level).

As for the pot, it is a very functional part of gameplay. Gives a reason that you can't just walk along, of course, but also gives a sense of weight and friction (can't sit down on too much of a slant or you'll slide) and makes a nice round object to have to navigate collisions with. I think it's also slightly a reference to Diogenes' tub?