Finding names for a game

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Finding names for a game

Post by tepples »

The name "Logan" is also sort of tarnished at the moment by Logan Paul, apart from the Logan's Run connection.

You could name the adventurer Fagballs, or whatever else the player has stored in eight bytes of the saved campaign. (After a review of Phantom Hourglass in Zero Punctuation).
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:The name "Logan" is also sort of tarnished at the moment by Logan Paul, apart from the Logan's Run connection.
Everyone will have moved on from the Logan Paul mess by the time the game is likely ready. And it's a common enough name that I didn't immediately think of Logan's Run. I think it's a safe name to use.
DRW

Post by DRW »

"Logan's Run" is not that much of an issue. Just because one fictitious work has a character with a certain name doesn't mean I cannot use that name anymore, unless the character is similar to mine which is not the case here.

So, yeah, our warrioress is called Leyla despite there being a Famicom game named "Layla". But a tribal warrioress has not that much to do with some bounty huntress in space.

And Logan Paul? Who's that? I don't think that I have to take into consideration any current-day news about random C-celebrities.

The problem that I have with the name Logan is that the adventurer has a certain trait that people might put into relation to Wolverine. It's not the same trait, but it's similar. If you've read the story, then you might know what I mean. Couple this with the fact that the adventurer will probably use dual knives as a weapon and people eventually will see this as a reference to Wolverine.
tepples wrote:You could name the adventurer Fagballs, or whatever else the player has stored in eight bytes of the saved campaign.
The adventurer is not the hero, but a companion that joins you for a certain time.

And besides, I made the conscious decision that the player will not enter a name. The hero is not supposed to be a player avatar and he's not a silent protagonist. He has a backstory and he talks in-game, so we will of course also give him a definite fixed name.

That's what I found so weird in "Final Fantasy Adventure": Unlike Link or the protagonists in "Final Fantasy", the hero in this game is a fleshed-out character who shows many emotions during the plot and even gets into a situation where he doubts his whole mission. He's much more chararacterized than your typical RPG hero. However, you still have to name him yourself.
Last edited by DRW on Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah you name both the boy and girl although they both are fully developed characters already, kind of funny but Square RPGs seldom has characters you create, although they often give you the possibility to change their names. On the other hand Link's personality is filled in by the player but his looks and fighting style are predefined and he even has a default name (which can't even be changed in the latest Zelda).

In my RPG Maker games I always give all characters temporary names, like Dougef suggested, while working on the game. Since you can refer to a hero by his or her database ID you don't have to change every instance of it in the game when you change the name. This way I will either get used to the name and decide it fits or I will notice that the character grows in a direction that doesn't fit the name so much and end up changing it. I usually start with simple names, often real world names but sometimes made-up names. If it's a comical character he might get a really silly name.
DRW

Post by DRW »

In the meantime, we finalized the names for all characters except for the hero himself:

King: King George
Magician: Nathan
Adventurer: Jerod
Waitress: Alison
Warrioress: Leyla
Henchman: Cedrick
Overlord: Emperor Renwick
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html