Kathy Benjamin explains how homebrew is for witches

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Kathy Benjamin explains how homebrew is for witches

Post by tepples »

lidnariq wrote:And we care what DRW thinks ... why?
Suggestions (neither authoritative):
  1. He provided the service of helping me understand my own hypocrisy in the Star Evil topic.
  2. Someone rejected by the community might badmouth the community to other people and especially to those with the standing and resources to destroy the community, such as game publishers that are more litigious.
DRW

Post by DRW »

tepples wrote:
  1. Someone rejected by the community might badmouth the community to other people and especially to those with the standing and resources to destroy the community, such as game publishers that are more litigious.
Exactly. If you're mean to me, I will run to Nintendo and tell them that you're producing unlicensed NES games and then they will shut you down. Because they don't know about you, but when I write them a mail, they will act. Ha ha ha!

:roll:

Are you even listenting to yourself?

Sure, me criticizing a clickbait thread means I'm butthurt. But those kind of assumptions are in no way overdramatic, oh no.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

DRW: dude, it's Tepples. Just let it go man.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

DRW wrote:I was talking about misleading titles and clickbaits. You wanna tell me that they're not universally hated?
You wanna tell me that because you despise puns, you interpreted a pun as clickbait? 'Cuz that's what I'm hearing.

Like, I get it.
You clearly used the search feature to search for homebrew, because why on earth else would you have necromancied up a month-dead thread?
You saw something about witches and was curious what it could possibly have to do with software homebrew.
You clicked through, found it was in fact not about software, but the other homebrew, and you felt clickbaited.
Great.

Unfortunately for you, english does use puns, and a significant number of people enjoy them, and you attempting to police out the use of puns is really unwelcome. And quite evidently, everyone else who's commented on the thread either didn't feel clickbaited, or considered it acceptable.

So please stop. Leave our puns alone. Take your complaints elsewhere, we don't want it.
DRW

Post by DRW »

Alright, fine. So, the lesson that I take from this thread:

It doesn't matter if you're actually interested in the topic you're posting.
It is acceptable to play hit and run poster who creates a thread purely for a generic joke, even if he has zero interest in actually discussing the topic that the thread is apparently about.

I can post random articles about anything that I have no connection to whatsoever. The fact that the first line of the text contains a joke I just made is absolutely enough to warrant a thread about this topic that I'm not willing to discuss.

This is in no way spam or trolling. Creating a thread just for the initial joke, with additional information that I myself am not interested in the slightest is an acceptable way of starting a thread in this discussion forum.

Alright, thank you for this information. I'll keep you updated on the latest celebrity gossip then.
My game "City Trouble":
tepples

Post by tepples »

DRW wrote:
tepples wrote:Someone rejected by the community might badmouth the community to other people and especially to those with the standing and resources to destroy the community, such as game publishers that are more litigious.
Exactly. If you're mean to me, I will run to Nintendo and tell them that you're producing unlicensed NES games and then they will shut you down. Because they don't know about you, but when I write them a mail, they will act. Ha ha ha!
It's not the console makers as much as game publishers. I know of at least one modern-era unlicensed NES game developer that simultaneously became licensed on a newer Nintendo console. (I can't say which because NDA.) But some games that have been discussed here are direct clones, incorporating game elements that go past the uncopyrightable "idea" (the processes of play) and reach the copyrightable "expression" (the particular parameters used by a particular game product, such as the number of blocks in a puzzle piece). I too am guilty of this, having pulled one of my projects from public view in mid-2012 after learning that another developer had lost a lawsuit over doing what I had done.

I could see someone who gets fed up with NESdev policy quitting and deciding to report user projects to Square Enix, Konami, and other companies, making it look like NESdev does a poor job of deterring infringement of copyright in the expressive portions of their games.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

DRW wrote:It doesn't matter if you're actually interested in the topic you're posting. It is acceptable to play hit and run poster who creates a thread purely for a generic joke, even if he has zero interest in actually discussing the topic that the thread is apparently about.
Why do you assume that tepples had to be specifically interested in beer in order to find an article also about etymology, medieval history, and feminine erasure interesting?
This is in no way spam or trolling. Creating a thread just for the initial joke, with additional information that I myself am not interested in the slightest is an acceptable way of starting a thread in this discussion forum.
As rainwarrior said, "It's difficult to create interesting threads if your only goal is spite-spam, though. Good luck!"
tepples

Post by tepples »

lidnariq wrote:
DRW wrote:It doesn't matter if you're actually interested in the topic you're posting. It is acceptable to play hit and run poster who creates a thread purely for a generic joke, even if he has zero interest in actually discussing the topic that the thread is apparently about.
Why do you assume that tepples had to be specifically interested in beer in order to find an article also about etymology, medieval history, and feminine erasure interesting?
Presumably because the word I chose for its Subject means beer.
DRW

Post by DRW »

lidnariq wrote:Why do you assume that tepples had to be specifically interested in beer in order to find an article also about etymology, medieval history, and feminine erasure interesting?
You seriously believe that he did it not for the pun, but because of a genuine interest in the topic of witches and the middle ages?

Also:
1. He already admitted that he had no interest in it.
2. He talked some stuff about his boss' brewery as a motivation, so the focus was obviously not the women and the history.
lidnariq wrote:As rainwarrior said, "It's difficult to create interesting threads if your only goal is spite-spam, though. Good luck!"
Well, it shouldn't be that difficult.

First of all, I don't actually need to write my own input. Apparently, it's enough to post a link and give a little summary. So, the quality of the thread is directly tied to the quality of the article itself.

Secondly, as we know now: The question whether something is interesting is a highly subjective matter. The original poster had no interest in his own thread, but people afterwards praise the thread like it's the Second Coming. So, I'm sure there must be somebody in this world who would find my thread interesting. It's not my fault if those people don't happen to be on this very forum.

And thirdly: No, I'm of course not actually doing this because I'm not a moron. I just wanted to demonstrate you what this forum could look like if people actually took your statements seriously.
My game "City Trouble":
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

DRW wrote:No, I'm of course not actually doing this because I'm not a moron.
Ah, so you don't actually want to post spam.

Well, what is it you do want?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I thought the opening post for the topic was interesting as hell and love it.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
team_disposable

Post by team_disposable »

Ah, thanks DRW, now I've enjoyed this thread twice!

And tepples, good on you for recognising your hypocrisy around Star Evil (of which my opinion is that the authors rights should have been respected above all)! Please do post anything else interesting you find!