Stars who can't watch themselves on screen

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Erockbrox

Re: Stars who can't watch themselves on screen

Post by Erockbrox »

I could understand if someone didn't want to watch themselves act. I did some voiceover work and I guess I'm really critical over my own performances.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Actress Hattie McDaniel was locked out of the premiere of the film Gone with the Wind (1939) because of the prevailing racist politics of the time. (She went on to win an Academy Award for her performance as a supporting actress in that film.)

Don't get me wrong; I am in no way claiming that the case that led to my bringing up this topic in the first place compares to Ms. McDaniel's experience. But I may be close to resolving this issue.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Child actors
Conner Schwerdtfeger of CinemaBlend, Cameron Bonomolo of Comic Book, and Sam Stone of CBR report that Julian Dennison couldn't watch his scenes in Deadpool and Deadpool 2 because the movies were rated R and he wasn't old enough yet.
We got a cinema, and they're like, 'Oh, yeah. You can introduce the movie. You can do everything, but you're not allowed to watch it,' and a few of my mates got kicked out of the cinema as well.
Matt Singer of Screen Crush reports something similar for the three child stars in the film Good Boys, as does Ryan Parker of Hollywood Reporter with respect to Danny Lloyd, who played Danny Torrance in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.

Marketing stunt
Phil Hoad of The Guardian interviewed some of the cast and crew of The Blair Witch Project. The actors were not invited to the premiere and were in fact briefly listed on IMDb as deceased, in order to maintain the façade that the film was based on authentic found footage.

Darth Maul
A situation closer to my own is that of Peter Serafinowicz, who voiced Darth Maul in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. An anonymous writer for Looper and Gwynne Watkins of Yahoo! report that he was not invited to its premiere. Likewise with Reginald Green, who played Ronald Reagan in The Iron Lady, according to Tim Walker of Telegraph.