[RANT] Consumerism in games

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sumez

Re: [RANT] Consumerism in games

Post by Sumez »

Small tip, I didn't realise until way late in the game. If you jump (try doing it from a high location to get more air time) and then take out your bow you'll slow down time while aiming giving you a little extra time to go for the air. The slowdown ends when you land, of course.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I learned it early because I've seen it many times in trailers and such so I knew it was somehow possible to draw your bow while in the air. The "bullet time" you have is determined not only by your air time but also by your remaining ganbari guage which is quickly drained when doing this move. Another thing easy to miss is shield surfing.

This game really needs a proper manual. I don't get what Nintendo is thinking with even ditching the digital one for Switch games.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Both midair aiming and shield surfing have in-game tutorials. The former is mandatory to reach Vah Medoh. There's also a list of controls in the menu (the one you use to save/load, not the E-manual).

None of which makes the layout any less confusing.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Pokun wrote:I learned it early because I've seen it many times in trailers and such so I knew it was somehow possible to draw your bow while in the air.
I somehow imagined it was a skill you'd eventually learn. When you reach the point in the game where they teach you, I was surprised to learn I'd been able to do it all the time, and honestly I love that aspect of it. That's really cool sandbox design. Much like the walljump in Super Metroid.
This game really needs a proper manual. I don't get what Nintendo is thinking with even ditching the digital one for Switch games.
Honestly, similarly to the above example, I think that's one of the game's best aspects. The game rarely teaches you anything directly, it just directs you to challenges that might teach you what to do, while other things are entirely up to your own creativity. It's the direct opposite of the horrid handholding in Skyward Sword, and I was really pleasantly surprised to see Nintendo daring putting something out in 2017 that actually expects people to figure stuff out on their own. Not everyone will figure out everything (I still find myself seeing some stuff in videos that I was shocked I never realised on my own), but that's ok. You can still play the game, and the sense of discovery is all the sweeter.
strat

Post by strat »

"Both midair aiming and shield surfing have in-game tutorials."

There's a no-climb run on YT where someone found it possible to defeat Vah Medoh without mid-air aiming.

Here's a few minor annoyances about BOTW:
-All shop keepers and even traveling merchants can pay unlimited rupees for your stuff. Maybe the devs thought the game would be too difficult if their rupee supply was limited, but if they can run out of item stock that makes the realism less convincing.

-Needing Korok seeds to upgrade your weapon inventory, yet you can carry an unlimited amount of armor and crafting items (and arrows). Buh?

-No quick-equip option for armor sets???

-Too many "you've already proven your worth" shrines.

I still think the game rocks, though.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have no problem with the lack of consistent realism in this game. All of your examples make perfect sense from a gameplay perspective, and I see no reason it should be different.
strat wrote: -Too many "you've already proven your worth" shrines.
I actually liked them. Basically instead of having 120 shrines of self contained puzzles, they mix up the game by having a bunch of challenges and puzzles in the overworld and use a "free shrine" as a reward for those. There aren't any of these shrines that just show up randomly in the overworld without requiring some sort of effort from you beforehand.

If anything, I'd say there are too many combat trial shrines, as most of these are exactly the same fight. If they had switched them up more with some unique aspects to the guardians or maybe other types of monsters thrown in they would have been a lot more fun. But once you're in the late game and have a ton of overpowered weapon in stock, they are reduced to minor nuisances rather than challenges.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah realism for the sake of realism makes little sense. Even super realistic role-playing games usually are quite generous on how much you can hold and offers bag-of-holdings and stuff to make the game more fun to play. The game has so many items that it would be very tedious and not very fun if you could only carry realistic amounts of food, ore, armour, weapons and so on. The amount of weapons never seems enough though so the weapon bag is what I upgrade the most.
Rahsennor wrote:Both midair aiming and shield surfing have in-game tutorials.
Yeah but due to the open-world nature of the game chances are that you miss out on these at first. My brother (who already beat the game) learned of shield surfing very late and had little use of it.

Super Metroid is a bit more linear so you learn the special moves before you need them. Or actually you don't because they are so hard to pull off without exact knowledge on how to do them and there's no detailed instructions in-game. I learned the moves from the Super Power magazine and even then it was hard, eventually I fluked my way up the shaft. I only mastered them years later after lots of practice. Once mastered though they make the game almost too easy in some parts since they are very powerful moves that can scale almost any wall.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah Super Metroid rocks like that :)