It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:45 am 

koitsu wrote:
I own the PS/PSX version, and I also owned the arcade PCB up until late last year (yes really!). AFAIK the soundtrack is identical between the two systems, but -- and I'm being incredibly pedantic here (word-wise), so feel free to slap me -- I don't think the PS/PSX version is just "a recording of the arcade version", as the audio quality is very clear/crisp. It's more likely that it's a recording from whatever the true/original sound source was.

I played the Saturn version back in the mid-90s and I remember it being on par with the PS/PSX (soundtrack and quality-wise).

That's funny, because while I've never owned a Sexy Parodius board, I do have the first two Parodius arcade games, and especially on Gokujou Parodius, I could tell a clear difference in the sound of the music when I plugged in the PCB, compared to the Saturn version on Parodius Deluxe Pack - the arcade PCB just sounded much, much clearer, with the sound coming directly from the sound chip. I believe it's based on sample playback, though, similar to the SNES chip.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:13 am 

lidnariq wrote:
modern audio codecs aren't enough less space efficient than sample bank + sequence data.

I guess it depends on how many pieces in a score share samples. A sample bank can also be compressed, such as BRR (Super NES), IMA (Nintendo DS), the sample compression modes in XM and IT, and MO3. I envision a format similar to OpenMPT's MPTM except using Opus-compressed samples.

Another wrinkle is on systems with limited RAM. The samples used by a piece might be more challenging to keep in RAM than a second's worth of compressed audio and 100 ms of decompressed audio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 am 

tepples wrote:
lidnariq wrote:
modern audio codecs aren't enough less space efficient than sample bank + sequence data.
I guess it depends on how many pieces in a score share samples.
It's not that the sample bank + sequence data isn't smaller ... it's that an hour of 128kbit/s MP3s is only 1 GB58MB.

Last edited by lidnariq on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:30 am 

Also I can't math. An hour of 128kbit MP3 is 58MB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am 

What do you mean an hour of MP3s is 1GB? Not even 1 hour of uncompressed CD quality PCM audio is 1GB... 1 hour of MP3s is more like 50~60MB.

EDIT: Oh, OK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:42 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
It's not that the sample bank + sequence data isn't smaller ... it's that an hour of 128kbit/s MP3s is only 1 GB 58 MB.

If the player is on the verge of deleting a game from his low-end phone, 58 MB could still mean the difference between the victim being your game and it being someone else's. Consider that downloadable Wii games were limited to about 40 MB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:25 pm 

A cheap phone with a paucity of storage won't necessarily have the computational might to run a good-sounding softsynth in the background either.

Arguing about whether an hour of MP3 is problematic is assuming it's a significant percentage of the size of the game.

(I admit those exist. But games where it is a significant percentage are going to be explicitly music-centered and probably can't afford to use sequence data instead of prerendered tracks)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:50 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Espozo wrote:
Those 16 extra channels make all the difference though. :lol:

Glad to learn that 48-24=16.

I was actually referring to how the GameCube and Xbox have 16 more sound channels (64-48=16) than the PS2. Because the sound hardware was not based on anything made previously, unlike the PS2, they could choose whatever number they wanted to within reason.

lidnariq wrote:
A cheap phone with a paucity of storage won't necessarily have the computational might to run a good-sounding softsynth in the background either.

You think? My cheap smartphone only has 8GB of storage, but it's never given me any trouble computationally. I don't do anything particularly intensive on it though; YouTube is probably the most computationally expensive thing I use it for.