It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Often whenever I do any sort of work (which I've been getting a lot as of recent because spring break is coming up), as with many people, I like to listen to music, except unlike most people, it's almost always a video game soundtrack (because I'm a weirdo). One thing I thought about though, is that while I like a lot of PSG, FM, and even sample based video game music, there are only a handful of games from the PS1 and onward (excluding the N64) where I find the music good enough to be memorable. I don't know quite what it is, but the music just feels a lot "weaker", and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. There are, however, a few game soundtracks that do stand out to me as really good:

Super Monkey Ball 1-2; the electronic instruments really sell me; it's so delightfully funky, but also kind of atmospheric somehow.

F-Zero X; it's an N64 game, but if I'm not mistaken, the music is actually prerecorded (the music being mono would certainly suggest this). I think F-Zero GX is the better game overall, but the instrumentation can be pretty bad. (Like, wtf is this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJePb8A53E#t=0m46s)

Super Smash Bros Melee; I don't typically like "orchestrated" music, but it's just done really well here. I think the synth and guitars are what do it for me.

Splatoon (1); I could do without the garbled nonsense, but it's surprisingly hardcore; enough so that many of the songs lend themselves well to metal-covers (one of the songs is even called Metalopod). Splatoon 2's soundtrack, on the other hand, is a dumpster fire. Much like the rest of the game, lol.

Honorable mention to Burnout (1); It's of the most stress-inducing things you could ever listen to, whilst sounding cheesy as all hell.

Last edited by Drew Sebastino on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm 

Warcraft II had a great CD-Audio soundtrack, along with Lemmings CD-ROM versions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 pm 
Formerly Espozo

I totally forgot about CD ROM versions of preexisting songs, although I can't think of a single one where it beats the original music. Everybody likes to gush over the 3DO version of Street Fighter II's music, but I think the original CPS1 version's music is easily better than anything after it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 pm 

I really liked the Castlevania: Rondo of Blood CD audio soundtrack, even though it's clearly just a recording of Mikio Saitou with some expensive synthesizers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 pm 

Panzer Dragoon. Please get it and listen to it.

There is of course a plethora of CD-ROM games, like the Turbo/PCE-CD, Sega CD, and the occasional great FM-Towns soundtrack.

I also reviewed some misc. game CDs here: http://www.chrismcovell.com/musiccds.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:05 pm 

Any of the Ys games on PC Engine CD / TurboGrafx CD / TurboDuo -- but Ys 3 is unmatched. (Glad to see ccovell shares my sentiments ;-) )

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS/PSX).

Sexy Parodius (PS/PSX).

Katamari Damacy (PS2), We Love Katamari (PS2), and Beautiful Katamari (Xbox 360) in discussions like this. These aren't literal Redbook/CDDA or XA-based audio from CD, but, well, too bad -- I'm including them anyway. :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 pm 

I always liked Battle Arena Toshinden's music, specially Mondo's theme.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 pm 
Formerly Espozo

It doesn't surprise me that none of the games listed by anyone here but me are any older than the 90's. :lol:

ccovell wrote:
and the occasional great FM-Towns soundtrack.

I forgot about the FM-Towns; I actually kind of like the remixed music in the port of Raiden, although I still prefer the original arcade music.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:40 pm 

Espozo wrote:
It doesn't surprise me that none of the games listed by anyone here but me are any older than the 90's. :lol:

If you were smirkingly hoping for more from the 2000s, then you need to say newer than the '90s. In that case, Shadow of the Colossus has an amazing soundtrack. I don't usually go for the overdone orchestral soundtracks that blight 21st-century gaming.

If, on the other hand, you were hoping for CDs from the '80s, then as we said, TurboCD is for you, as well as others in the link that I posted. Ys I-II, Monster Lair, Valis II -- these are from the '80s and are pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:54 pm 
Formerly Espozo

ccovell wrote:
If you were smirkingly hoping for more from the 2000s, then you need to say newer than the '90s.

Not hoping; I was just making an observation, and yeah, I meant newer but wasn't thinking correctly.

ccovell wrote:
I don't usually go for the overdone orchestral soundtracks that blight 21st-century gaming.

If you even get that; it seems increasingly common to find games with virtually no music at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:15 am 

Espozo wrote:
ccovell wrote:
[...]then you need to say newer than the '90s.
[...]I meant newer but wasn't thinking correctly.
By the time we got out of the 90s, uncompressed red book audio ceased to really be a thing—CPUs got fast enough for more sophisticated audio decompression to be practical, at the same time as storage switched to formats that didn't tend to encode audio as raw PCM either.

(At the very least, I assumed "CD audio" meant you were specifically asking about instances of using Red Book audio)

By now, I'm under the impression that the majority of games use fully pre-mastered recordings now than any kind of synth—although obviously someone with actual industry experience could correct me. Most Gamecube games seem to have used a softsynth, but a significant number of Wii games stored audio in "brstm" files.

I do like the "soft piano Kirby covers" that're present on Kirby's Epic Yarn.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:39 am 

I always liked this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocVRCl9Kcus

I think it's better than Daft Punk!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 am 
Formerly Espozo

@lidnariq I just removed it from the title. I wasn't thinking that people would take that to mean only soundtracks on CD based systems. Where did you find that most GameCube games actually mix the music? Most PS1 games didn't go through this effort, and they were only half the size. The GameCube even has 16MB of ram that was likely meant for storing music, as it's too slow for anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am 

For me, the first one I found compelling was Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure for PC

Also check out Bakumatsu Roman / Last Blade Arranged Soundtrax

ccovell wrote:
I also reviewed some misc. game CDs here: http://www.chrismcovell.com/musiccds.html

Do you actually own these? Specifically the Red Arremer soundtrack?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 pm 

Espozo wrote:
Where did you find that most GameCube games actually mix the music?
The Gamecube DVD drive did support streaming ADPCM-compressed audio direct from disc—supposedly in so-called "ADP" files—but I didn't find a list where someone had already done the research as to how many games used prerecorded soundtracks and which ones didn't. Using dolphin to look for soundtracks in my own discs, roughly half seem to use pre-recorded audio and half don't.

The GameCube hardware is claimed to support mixing 64 audio channels simultaneously, so I misspoke when I said softsynth. It's more like the SNES, PS1, and PS2.

If we're including indie games, I really enjoyed the Closure, Expand, and Valdis Story soundtracks.