It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:51 am 

For the sake of conversation, let's say you (had the opportunity / were obligated) to create a title for the NES using a previously existing intellectual property. You have free reign in terms of creative control and cost to acquire said license is not a factor.

What property would you want to use and why?
What type of game would you make?
How would you incorporate the license into the game?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 am 

I would license the Power Rangers and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Them I would do an action game called Power Rangers meets the Teenange Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A big title for an epic game!! :lol:
I think this could be a little similar to Battletoads Double Dragon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:50 am 

I've been wanting to make WORM WAR II since forever. I don't even like the original game, but damn, with a name like WORM WAR I it deserves a sequel.

Also gee, I wonder what tepples and tokumaru will answer for this. I really do wonder. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am 

oh, a new Dizzy of course!
Even though I hand in restoring Dizzy games before, these weren't new games.
Now...what I would do with it...
I would probably want to cover biggest problem with Dizzies on NES, namely ability to save(and some nice ending since no dizzy game have a satisfactory ending.
Aside from that, I would set the game in usual fantasy world. Probably touch on some classic stories such as A Christmas Carol, Aladdin or Three Little Pigs.
Oh and a huge dragon-a must have for epic Dizzy game :D
Well, at least I have romhacking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Maybe Alien, and make a metroidvania-like game based on the story of Aliens where you'd switch between key characters and sort of cooperate with yourself in the form of these various characters in an attempt to get off the rock. Getting the protagonist to survive would beat the game, but the challenge would be getting as many as possible to survive. They have different skills/be differently effective using them. That way you need to get the right person to the right place in the right time, so it's also a bit like a slow going game of lemmings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:54 am 

kung fury.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:30 am 

I would want to make ports of Infocom games to NES. Zork. Planetfall. Suspended.

Also I'm a huge fan of Futurama. I guess I would make a multi-styled game with a space shooter, a top-down Zelda like action, and puzzles, and humorous cut scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 am 

I always wanted to make NES versions of the following games:

- Sonic: it's my favorite game series ever, and it'd be really cool to prove that the NES can handle a fast-paced game with interesting physics and large levels.

- Day of the Tentacle: it's my favorite point-and-click game, and making this art style work on the NES sounds like a fun challenge.

- Worms: really fun gameplay, and the destructible maps should be fun to implement.

- Kid Chameleon: I love the way the different abilities work, and this one looks like it'd fit the NES pretty well.

- Ghouls 'n Ghosts: I love the horror theme and aesthetics, and the different weapons/abilities are great too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:24 am 

FrankenGraphics wrote:
Maybe Alien, and make a metroidvania-like game based on the story of Aliens where you'd switch between key characters and sort of cooperate with yourself in the form of these various characters in an attempt to get off the rock. Getting the protagonist to survive would beat the game, but the challenge would be getting as many as possible to survive. They have different skills/be differently effective using them. That way you need to get the right person to the right place in the right time, so it's also a bit like a slow going game of lemmings.

Isn't that pretty much Aliens Infestation? (except that games was terribly bland and horribly executed)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:33 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Sumez: Huh. Well that lowers my incentive by 99% haha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:39 am 

FrankenGraphics: why? They failed to make the concept a great game.
You can take same concept and make it better than they did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:41 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Well that's mainly speaking of using the Alien(s) IP. It'd be quite fun to try to copy the visual style of the movie and make it a game. The architetcure, dominant colours, the hazy, fedback feed on their monitors, etc. The synopsis for the design in itself might be worth revisiting sometime perhaps and try to make better.

Maybe a point and click adventure or limited sandbox featuring Moomin, then. It's such a lush, dynamic world and i don't think moomin fans have ever been able to explore it themselves in that way. When i read the Moomin books and graphic novels as a kid, all i wanted was to go there myself and invent my own adventure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm 

Ha ha, I actually got to spend 2 years of my life working on an official Alien IP. It got cancelled, though. At the time I thought it was pretty cool to be working on something based on one of my favourite movies. It helped keep me motivated on the project.

I'm mostly pretty cynical about IP licensing and video games, but there's much stuff that I'd still be pretty excited to work on. In particular I really want to make an Aeon Flux game, especially one that included some adaptation of the Tide short. We only ever got Aeon Flux: The Movie: The Game for PS2, which was somewhat forgettable. In a bit of a weird reversal Peter Chung (Aeon Flux's director) ended up adapting a video game into an animated series with Re\Visioned: Tomb Raider, also with Drew Neumann doing music.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:00 pm 

The original aeon flux is amazing and would make a great game.

70s Italian cinema would make for some excellent games - Danger Diabolik or Susperia maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:25 pm 

What would I do with it? I'm not sure. Could be an RPG, a zeldalike, a side scrolling platformer with different characters like the SNES Star Wars games. But it would be awesome whatever it was.