Laser Cut Wood NES Schematic

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

ekerin

Laser Cut Wood NES Schematic

Post by ekerin »

I've been working on making a new design for the NES schematic (One that I feel better shows the interconnections of the chips, and how the cartridge fits in the whole system) I made this on my laser cutter, it's the second in a series of vintage computing/gaming I've started making and selling recently. My previous one was on the Commodore 64.

I got some help from lidnariq (who has been correcting/posting the updated NES schematic referenced by the wiki - as I kept finding mistakes and inconsistencies between what I could find online)

If anyone is interested, I'm selling the NES schematic on Etsy, and I would love feedback or suggestions on what to make next!
Attachments
Zoom on Cartridge
Zoom on Cartridge
Zoom on PPU and Vid Mem Latch
Zoom on PPU and Vid Mem Latch
Picture of the whole piece
Picture of the whole piece
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Laser Cut Wood NES Schematic

Post by FrankenGraphics »

It looks really nice! Congratulations on finishing this project. :)

One nitpick i have is that the "NES-001" font and size seems a little out of context for me. I'd probably put a small sized serif and/or monospace font just shy within the margins of a corner, but that's just me and tastes vary.
And maybe call it CHR-RAM/ROM on the cartridge side since it varies. Maybe PPU SRAM instead of VID SRAM.

I'd assume the Game Boy might be a logical step from there?
ekerin

Re: Laser Cut Wood NES Schematic

Post by ekerin »

I agree on the NES-001, I think I'll try and just reduce the size some to start with and see how it goes.

I went back and forth on the VID/PPU RAM - I will probably change it though.

Ooh, Game boy should make a nice small piece - to round out the size of pieces I have available :)