It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 am 

Funnily enough, I find myself asking if the Switch is worth it yet given that I continue to play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon from time to time, and I still have Breath of the Wild patiently sitting on the shelf ready for the long dark winter months. Thus, the trio of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild on the Switch simply doesn’t feel compelling enough for me to drop my Wii U (yet).

I played the Arms testfire thingummy a while ago, and whilst it was visually impressive, it didn’t do anything for me, especially at a time when Tekken 7 was available. I am more of a 2D fighter fan than a 3D one though.

I’m quite aware that the portability factor is a big deal to most Switch owners however, I have never been one to play games on my daily commute. I only play my 3DS in the comfort of my own home.

Still, when the likes of Mario Odyssey, Metroid Prime 4 and whatever Retro Studios are up to are available, I am pretty sure I shall buy one there and then!

In regards to the OP, however, the answer is a resounding ‘no’. The Wii U isn’t worth it nowaday; even Nintendo have distanced themselves from it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:10 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Bitmanns wrote:
Funnily enough, I find myself asking if the Switch is worth it yet given that I continue to play Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon from time to time, and I still have Breath of the Wild patiently sitting on the shelf ready for the long dark winter months. Thus, the trio of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild on the Switch simply doesn’t feel compelling enough for me to drop my Wii U (yet).

Yeah, there's no need to get a Switch at this time if you already have a Wii U. I made the mistake of getting one for Splatoon 2 whilst already owning Splatoon for Wii U. Arms fizzled out and died; it's got the depth of a bottle of water spread five miles.

realityengine wrote:
Sorry for continuing the derail of this thread about N64.

It had already diverged into a discussion about the N64. I'm just impressed you know so much about the it.

realityengine wrote:
I'd also be happy to discuss the Gamecube and its hardware-based children :D

I'll take you up on that offer. :wink: Do you know how they managed to join three PPC750's together in the Wii U?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:10 am 

Bitmanns is a spambot, I reported it yesterday but mods seem slow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:42 am 
Formerly Espozo

Oh, that's really wierd... The one post and this part threw me off

Quote:
In regards to the OP, however, the answer is a resounding ‘no’. The Wii U isn’t worth it nowaday; even Nintendo have distanced themselves from it.

I didn't ask whether or not you should buy one. :lol:

What's even the point of that spambot? It didn't provide a link to a website or anything in regards to someone making a profit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:25 am 

It had a spam link in the signature.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Oh; I'd have thought it were just a weird prank. Will spambots get past most anything at this point? I've heard Captcha tests have been useless for a long time now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 am 

If this N64 discussion goes much further, maybe we should take it to a different thread in Other Retro Dev. I made one a while back, actually...

realityengine wrote:
93143 wrote:
regularly hosted games that looked worse than similar titles on a system
I don't think this is quite true if you take a truly holistic approach

I'm not taking a holistic approach. I'm just saying that there was a surprising amount of overlap given the power difference, which may be attributable to the N64 being hard to program, compounded by the inefficient official microcode holding the system back. Comparing bad N64 games with good PlayStation games can make it look like the PlayStation was more powerful, which is not something you tend to get with (say) the NES vs. the SNES.

Quote:
missing lighting effects makes emulated N64 games look really bland

I noticed this with F-Zero X. I play the real one regularly. It's higher res in emulation, if you want it, but the shiny is gone.

Quote:
Well the Playstation didn't have half the RAM of the N64.

I realized about the VRAM after posting, and figured it wasn't important enough to warrant an edit. With audio RAM it comes pretty close to even... and Expansion Pak games were usually not the worst-looking ones, so I can't really claim that as a trump card...

Speaking of RAM, what was the latency like on the RCP side? I've heard figures as high as 600 ns for a CPU cache miss, but I can't imagine that's representative of RCP random access... Also, I believe the N64's RAM was divided into four banks; did this have any relevance to latency?

Quote:
People tend to forget that the N64 uses a lot of its processing power to clean up 3D image quality behind the scenes - it's not a straight-up polygon count contest.

Absolutely.

And yet, it seems that certain late games, such as World Driver Championship, managed to match or exceed the PlayStation's advertised capabilities (180,000 textured tris per second) while maintaining the additional features that made N64 polygons so power-intensive...

Quote:
I think the only sane way to use hardware additive blending on N64 is just where the RGB values in your scene are very low

I'm sorry; I can't accept that without more detail. What's wrong with the methods I proposed? I could guess, but that's not a path to edification.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:59 am 

Espozo wrote:
I'll take you up on that offer. :wink: Do you know how they managed to join three PPC750's together in the Wii U?

I have to admit that I don't know too much about Wii U specific features, and have not been privy to any detailed information about it. From memory, the PPC750 did have an incomplete SMP implementation which was finally completed in the G4 design, so I'm guessing IBM may have done some 'backporting' of G4 SMP technology into the PPC750.

93143 wrote:
If this N64 discussion goes much further, maybe we should take it to a different thread in Other Retro Dev. I made one a while back, actually...

I think I will take you up on that. I have posted to this thread http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16414&p=216380#p216380