It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am 

The trailer just dropped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDq0FQS15o

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:27 am 

Seems decent. The same company did Mega Man 9 and 10 so I expect they can handle this style well.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:42 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Thanks for sharing! It looks like i'm going to play it. :) Honestly more interested in this than in the main title. :lol:

+: some really great looking backgrounds
+: major dracula's curse appeal
+: probably the first decent fix of a new actionvania-type game i've had since Castlevania: the Adventure ReBirth for wii.

-: the bosses, big baddies and large graphical effects, although they'd look good in themselves, feel a bit awkwardly cut in from something else/plastered onto the screen. Not a fan of their paperclippy animation, which is somehow accented between their large size and the few colours.
-: characters are perhaps a little *too* close to dracula's curse? Kind of makes me want to play as the original cast instead.

?: being a KS tie-in, i wonder if it will play decently or if its budget will affect the overall quality in pronounced ways (a bit like ReBbirth did).
?: I wonder what the music will be like? I feel this is an important component to set the mood right.
?: Kind of cools my temper for keeping up the work on my nes actionvania project... or maybe it'll eventually spur me.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:42 am 

Gunvolt was pretty decent. I doubt IGA would do the intro video if it was "average" ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:08 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Haven’t played that one but i enjoyed Blaster Master Zero. If i were to nitpick, some transparency effects felt weirdly off the mark/out of aesthetical context, but overall, gameplay, music and visual presentation were all great. So my hopes are up for this one :)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am 
Formerly Espozo

Looks like an SNES game using mode 0. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am 

Looks like it could even work on the Game Boy Color? Games like Toki Tori used lots of tricks to get parallax scrolling.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:21 am 

If only there was a 400 pixels wide mode on the SNES. I should make a hi-res SNES engine soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:09 am 

Has that same "wide-screen NES with multiple background layers and no sprite limit" look of games like Shovel Knight.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:31 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

One interesting/modern sensibility is that they've capped the total number of "hearts" to 20. This ought to herd the player towards using the subweapon more often as to not cap out. The characters seem to share this pool, just like in cv3. A less obvious side effect is that you can't stock up for the bosses, and if you die the first and second attempt are evened out in difficulty. I'm actually not sure whether that (loss of hearts/subweapons) was a bad thing or not in the original, though. The second time you're likely better prepared mentally and warmed up. A change of conditions keep you on your toes still. Yet with this more modern setup, it ought to be easier for the designer to balance.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 am 

And of course you immediately have the onslaught of people writing stuff like "why is this game 8-bit, why not make it 16-bit" and similar gross misunderstandings. Could we just stop using terms like (number)-bit? It hardly even made sense to use it back in the days when they were selling points. :P

I'm also seeing a ton of people coining this as a Castlevania 3 tribute. Aside from a guy being able to turn into a bat I see basically no relations to that game.

thefox wrote:
Seems decent. The same company did Mega Man 9 and 10 so I expect they can handle this style well.

...... and Mighty no. 9 and Gunvolt. I don't trust Inti Creates anymore, I don't remember the last time they made a good game. To be honest I really didn't like Mega Man 9 or 10 either. :\
This game looks great though, but I'll reserve judgement until I have played it.

tokumaru wrote:
Has that same "wide-screen NES with multiple background layers and no sprite limit" look of games like Shovel Knight.

Though it's just as lax with the actual limitations, Shovel Knight does way more stuff to adhere to the NES aesthetics. I especially appreciated the way they designed the huge boss fights in a way that made you believe they could be background graphics (limited movements/animations and with the rest of the background being completely black).

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:45 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

There's plenty of cv 3 references. The art style of the um... clockworky forest is very close to that of the full length of "mad forest" in cv3. Any game might have a ship, but it felt like an intended nod to the "haunted ship of fools".

You can change between a cast of 4 characters in a way that screams "spirit ally" or whatever the manual termed it as. The alchemist plays like sypha (short range normal weapon, powerful spells such as: can freeze enemies, a hit with the cane makes them crack seemingly regardless of their toughness; seeking spirit-y projectiles), the bat guy basically is alucard in every respect. Miriam has the iconic whip while borrowing the quick knife throwing from Grant, the main guy (i assume) is colour coded a bit like trevor and has an attack very reminiscent of the holy water.

The opening is reminiscent of the opening in cv3. Remove lightning and religious iconography, add veils of fog.

What little we heard of the music combined techniques from baroque organ play and "secret agent"-style rock/blues just like cv (not that this game is alone in being inspired by this formula, but cv 1 through 3 were iconic for doing so. super cv and onwards started departing from this by mixing in lots of other styles, not least lounge jazz).

I think all these are very deliberate choices. I don't mean it's a bad thing either.

Quote:
Though it's just as lax with the actual limitations, Shovel Knight does way more stuff to adhere to the NES aesthetics. I especially appreciated the way they designed the huge boss fights in a way that made you believe they could be background graphics (limited movements/animations and with the rest of the background being completely black).

I agree. I think they'd done well to either follow the shovel knight recipe, or hire an animator to do proper animation cels. The bosses kind of hang over an uncanny valley between some limitations they chose to keep and the limitlessness of a modern platform. The collection of large, inanimate metasprites moving back and forth in relation to each other feels a bit like a bad shortcut.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:00 am 

"Uncanny valley" is a good term for it, even if it probably only applies to people who are familiar with the NES hardware.
I don't mind it myself, if the boss fights are cool, but crossing the graphics limitation to such an absurd agree in a game that seems otherwise based on typical design choices you'd often see in NES games (such as the color schemes and sizes of the player and enemy sprites, etc.) feels like something you should try to employ more tastefully, such as reserving it for the final boss.

The multi-layer parallax feels less absurd, as it's easy to imagine contemporary hardware similar to the NES with the ability for multiple background layers. Meanwhile some of the bosses would be impressive even for a 1990 arcade game.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 am 

Looks cool, but the levels seem a bit... empty?

CV1 was an obstacle course of enemies. This, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am 

Yeah, most recent Inti Creates games had that problem. The levels really weren't fun to play, it was just an area that you moved through with the enemies not really serving any purpose at all. It made Azure Striker Gunvolt completely uninteresting to play aside from the few boss fights that worked.