It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:36 pm 
Formerly 65024U

I thought my OS was screwed up, but then when I switched GPU makers, it was the same result on a new install. That's when I learned myLG 37" TV identified itself as 7" and that was my issue. Could be that for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:27 pm 
Formerly Espozo

Yeah, upon further inspection, I found that the OS isn't the problem; it actually just is my shity TV.

This person had the exact same problem I do (same TV), that of course was never fixed: https://www.reddit.com/r/24hoursupport/ ... op_when_i/

I was initially being an idiot and comparing the results of my GameCube on my CRT to my LCD, but I wasn't thinking about how the CRT wouldn't display the whole image either, lol. I finally figured out it was my TV's fault by using my Wii U and comparing the screen on the Gamepad to the TV. I had never noticed it before because there's nothing essential that far on the sides of the screen.

I thought I'd go on Emerson's website and download new firmware for it, but it just displays "page not found." :lol: http://www.emersonaudiovideo.com/support/download.php

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:31 pm 

Mandatory overscan in HDTVs is the worst. Really no excuse for it, not even "but we started with CRT HDTVs and people will whine if the image doesn't go to the corners"—1- CRT manufacturing was good enough at that point that you really could display the entire picture without obvious underscanning, and 2-even if it did there's still no reason an LCD HDTV should assume there's no valid signal in the corners anyway; the overscanned region has to be encoded into the MPEG2 stream over-the-air anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:39 pm 
Formerly Espozo

It's complete bullshit that they don't give you the option to turn it off; not only will it not display the entire image, but it should also add needless display lag and slightly blur a native 1920x1080 signal. What's really bizarre, is that putting it in 4:3 still cuts off the left and right sides of the screen...

And I've got go say, who even had an HD CRT in the first place? I have yet to see one in person.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:56 pm 

Espozo wrote:
And I've got go say, who even had an HD CRT in the first place? I have yet to see one in person.

NovaSquirrel's mom's ex-husband had a 55" RCA projection CRT HDTV. When it broke, he replaced it with a similarly sized LCD.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:24 pm 

My parents still use a CRT HDTV.
When a friend moved, he found a projection CRT HDTV left behind by the previous residents ... oh tepples mentioned something similar.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 am 

lidnariq wrote:
My parents still use a CRT HDTV.

I do, too.
They're great, except their weight which is awful (50-60kg).