It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Well, I got progress. 8-) Windows 7 is slowing down the emulation by doing stuff in background, like the boring Windows Update. It dropped the frame rate to below 20!

I reduced the audio buffer to half ($800->$400), and changed the sound sample rate from 48000 to 44100Hz (and the internal APU constant for resampling). It worked like a charm. However, as I said, the frame rate drops during the emulation, but got back to 60 soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:38 pm 

Zepper wrote:
What profiler do you suggest for it? (free)

On Windows try gprof. Here's a guide: https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~sugih/point ... quick.html

On Linux use perf. Here's a guide: https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 am 
Formerly Espozo

Zepper wrote:
Well, I got progress. 8-) Windows 7 is slowing down the emulation by doing stuff in background, like the boring Windows Update. It dropped the frame rate to below 20!

Sounds like a modern computing horror story about how much less efficient things have become, and how you're supposed to make up the difference with excessive hardware. :|

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 am 

Espozo wrote:
Zepper wrote:

Sounds like a modern computing horror story about how much less efficient things have become, and how you're supposed to make up the difference with excessive hardware. :|

If your operating system is using more than 1-2% of CPU in "idle", you've got problems. That's not normal at all.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 am 

Well, several of the Windows 7 updates in the past year have been known to be... questionable. It's like a rat's nest at times. Many have re-installed things like telemetry, so you have to figure out which updates do what. I tend to be a month behind on patches for that exact reason: I err on the side of caution. It's saved me a LOT of pain, let me assure you.

Windows Update taking like 9 billion years to "figure out" what all the updates are that should be available to you is actually solved through several "sub-updates". So if you haven't gone through the pain of doing that (installing specific KBs that fix it), that's probably why. If your "Windows Update" scan previously took, say, 15 minutes, these KBs/sub-updates can actually bring that down into the under-a-minute range.

Let me know if you want details. I actually slipstream all of this stuff into my own Windows 7 ISOs so that I don't have to deal with it again. I think I have a list of the KBs and what not in my slipstream.bat.

A great website to start following for stuff like this is https://www.askwoody.com or follow him on Twitter at @woodyleonhard -- he works for ComputerWorld.

And let's not forget with things like Meltdown/Spectre, figuring out used CPU time is way more complicated than it used to be. Worth watching if you care about low-level details, trust me. (And yes, these apply to Windows too)