It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am 

So I have a question, in general is Kickstarter usually a good idea if you are looking to make a game?

I say this because, what if your game is already finished and you do have the funds an order to make cartridges of your game, but you just wanted to do a Kickstarter for possibly extra funds, publicity, more promotion, and so on.

I think there is a fee that Kickstarter charges the campaign starter and I was thinking, could this fee be detrimental to your project. Like again, what if you really do have all of the funds to complete your game and then you do a Kickstarter anyways then after paying the fees to KS now you actually lost money. Is this possible?

Also, what about the notion of launching a Kickstarter and if the funding goal isn't going to be met that the original campaign starter just pledges the extra cash on KS just so that the project gets funded anyway? Has that ever happened, where someone just funds their own KS even if they didn't get enough funding with their backers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I believe KS is taking 5% of the pledged funds, and then 2-3% for processing them. The quote varies from country to country. Check here. https://www.kickstarter.com/help/fees

If you're unsure your game will sell well enough on KS, chances are that you might need it to be polished some more before launch. Provide something solid and good looking enough to convince the audience.

As i see it, the real problem isn't their share of the funding, it's the extra time you need to put down on a KS campaign. Does the extra work get covered by the (hopefully) additional funding?

The work doesn't stop at launch either. You're expected to write updates and communicate with backers in the comment field and elsewhere. It puts some overhead to your project. From what i've heard, the campaign month can be pretty stressful. After that, the pressure simmers down a bit.

Read lots of articles on what good campaigns do right, good and bad experience both campaigners and backers have had, and what caveats there are. One thing you should avoid: Ambitious stretch goals. Keep them few, and practical. You don't want to tip the balance so that you need to put in more hours per funded dollar than if you weren't having stretch goals.

Avoid december and january. they're statistically the wrong months to go to KS.

But most importantly:
-Make a game that's attractive enough to help accelerate the sales on its own.
-Make a solid, short and sweet presentation
-Plan your campaign carefully

Simplified rule that i think applies: By having a larger outreach, kickstarter doesn't really add a random number of backers to your product. It is more like it amplifies the inherent potential of your game and marketing skills by some factor.

Funding = Game quality * marketing skills * careful planning * timing * kickstarter signal boost.

If all this seems overwhelming, maybe consider partnering up with someone. Or just work on the project and see if it feels less daunting after a couple of months. The hill is not as high when you're halfway up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Another thing to consider:

kickstarter is one of many vendors/avenues of sale. You may consider and then audit your game to others: retroUSB, khan games, megacat games, infiniteNESlives, or as many do, simply put a buy thread up on NintendoAge once the software part is finished.

If you perform a personal little SWOT analysis on these potential partners/channels, you'll probably get a satisfying answer. Of course, the game needs to be sufficiently developed for some of these vendors to be able to make a fair judgement if it's going to be just right for their webshop.

One last thing on my mind regarding KS. One thing i see repeated often is the sentiment "don't launch a project before you've backed a couple of project of similar nature and scope". It makes twofold sense to me: It'd put me in the position of the typical backer of my project, which i can draw useful cues from, and it's good for credibility. The credibility economy on KS is a bit fragile, since anything goes. The indie board game scene had a boom and bust similar to the atari market collapse some years ago. Since then, backers have become wary of a multitude of "red flags", including first-time campaign creators who haven't backed anything prior.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am 

As somebody who is right now working on a Retro based KS :
The main issue you have is Paypal won't let you take money for a product that doesn't exist. This makes it really hard to do pre-orders ( a large high profile C64 release had this issue ), so a KS can be run to "pre-order" another issue you have is you need min orders of things, so you can use a KS to gate the min orders and hence not go out of pocket due to not hitting the min requirement. I think Twin Dragons, Dragon Twins? went this route. See also Planet X3.
So using a KS to do pre-order and/or make sure you have enough orders, has been done and is a valid thing.

However if you are looking to do a KS to make the game, note that KS is a lot of work, prepping it, running it, answering questions, giving updates and if you have swag, sourcing and testing all the swag. Chasing down people to get their addresses is a lot more work that you would think it is. Also keeping track of people who move, who ordered what, did they pay enough for postage etc etc is also a fair amount of overhead. Also factor in some leeway as the credit card only hits when/if it is successfully funded and 10% or so will fail, either they are overdrawn, end of the month, bank didn't like you for some reason, the cart expired yadda yadda, some fix it, some don't.