It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:34 pm 

If you're going to be doing changes to commercial games (e.g. romhacking), use an IPS patch (or similar binary patching methodology). Do not upload ROM images directly:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/ ... ere-suing/
https://games.slashdot.org/story/18/07/ ... were-suing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm 

Is it me or is Nintendo trying to generate bigger demand for retro consoles?
Would this be a new business model, since they're facing a huge competition on creating new and successful games?
Maybe they are thinking in repackage and sell "new old stuff", since it's easier than create new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 pm 

My post was not to debate or pontificate upon Nintendo's legal or marketing decisions.

It was meant to say: "folks who visit here: be aware of the rules on this site/sites. Failure to follow these rules can get the site/sites shut down. See example. Whether it's wrong or right doesn't matter."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm 

Have people been posting ROMs here? Like, I've seen it happen once in a blue moon, but it always gets corrected quickly...?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm 

I've posted a couple in the past, mostly pirate games dumps, but I quickly removed and posted an ips file instead.
Should I be worried?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:58 pm 

It's just a reminder for people. I was hoping someone would pin the thread. There has already been discussion over "what are the rules now that we're not on Parodius Networking", and as such, reminding folks of at least a base rule (esp. considering Nintendo's recent actions) would seem wise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 pm 

The one thing I've been worried about in this respect is the NSF rips thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:40 pm 

Yup, I'm concerned about the same thing. The NSF aspect may actually warrant the need to discuss with an actual IP/DMCA attorney. Tricky subject, I think, considering they're "partial" extractions (certainly containing original playerback code, sequenced data, and (if applicable) PCM samples)... but they're not "an entire ROM" in the literal sense.

Bare minimum: Nintendo seems to be going after stuff they themselves produced, so NSFs of official Nintendo titles might be worth pulling, if there are any.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 pm 

Ha ha, that's a funny thought... because of the nature of that thread almost everything in it is very obscure. Most Nintendo brand NSFs got ripped a long time prior. :P (There's definitely some Nintendo stuff in there, though.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 pm 

Even if there was zero code or music data from the actual game ROMs (e.g. it was all mp3 recordings), just the melodies themselves are someone's intellectual property and distributing them would probably already be condidered copyright infringement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 pm 

NSF rips are 100% a copyright infringement either way, I don't think there's much to argue about that.

The harder question is how much risk is involved in having them hosted on this forum, and to whom that risk belongs. It's been really weird to me that IP owners don't seem to police NSFs, VGM rips, etc. but as someone who enjoys and benefits from their presence I'm glad it's been this way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:08 am 

My guess is that nsf is such an obscure format that it's never was on their radar (yet). If you talks about sharing a "rom" and mp3 or avi/mp4 (etc) then it will surely gets theirs attention but nsf/vgm? Not many people would know about that.

But yes, now that Nintendo (America branch only?) seems sensitive, this is worrisome, a little bit. Up to know I'm not aware of them sending legal actions for nsf files but hmmm...

Man I hate those things. It's not like distributing a game or something, you just want to listen to some game music.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:22 am 

Nintendo has in the past sold CD copies of the soundtrack of Super Mario 64 and other first-party games. So if we see the company publishing its back catalog's soundtracks en masse on Amazon Music, iTunes Store/Apple Music, and Google Play Music, then we get worried.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 am 

Why not just have a publically known onion for all NES/Famicom ROMs and NSFs without distinguishable ownership?

A reliable repository of commercial material is always necessary for accurate emulation and historic preservation.

The hash for the v2 or v3 onion can be changed time to time and simply advertised in someone's signature or in other subversive manners.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 pm 

B00daW wrote:
Why not just have a publically known onion for all NES/Famicom ROMs and NSFs without distinguishable ownership?

I think this is the wrong place to even discuss trying to solve that problem. Somebody else that's into ROM preservation can tackle that. My understanding is that here we stay legal by avoiding it entirely.