It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:00 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

koitsu wrote:
orlaisadog wrote:
This went from a technical question about NES/Famicom detection to a debate/discussion about emphasis bits.

Now you understand why earlier I said "aren't you glad you started this thread?" People on this forum being unable to stay focused on the topic at hand is a recurring problem. You never really get used to it -- instead, you learn to filter out all the unrelated/irrelevant tripe, while facepalming and drinking hard liquor.

I was also under the impression the OP question had been answered.

But the way i see it, Bulletin Board Systems != Stack Overflow. If the purpose is to ask questions and get the best answer upvoted and then lock the thread, then forums aren't the best infrastructure. If you on the other hand want to encourage a more dynamic discussion following the initial topic that occasionally propels productivity/creativity and/or disseminates less self-articulated knowledge, it is.

Another difference is that S.O. works because it has a really big user base. With the handful of regulars here, i'm just glad for what discussion there is. Had there been hundreds of active users, filtering measures had been more important.

Or would a Page Overflow fly?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:37 pm 

There is on topic, slight derail, as in you switch tracks that were connected and then there is NESDEV Teleportationtm.

So the NES 2006 register what is up with that....

...some posts latter....

Personally I think the 68K was the right choice for the Amiga and the 3.5Mhz RAM lets you squeeze more performance out of the Agnus when you use the right combo of instructions during a blit.

...many posts later ....

Its to slow on my Atom CPU, btw I'm using Mint and not my bag, AREOS looks lite anybody used it?

..many posts later ....

Do you think this SMS game could be easily ported to a GB?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:20 pm 

There are times when it's been an annoyance, and usually at those times someone might suggest/request starting a new thread (or just start that new thread themself) to redirect.

That particular thread, though, I don't see the problem? The only people who commented on its slightly meandering nature seemed to be doing so in jest. I did not get the sense that it was interrupting or interfering with the OP's attempt to ask a question, and the topic stayed mostly relevant to the spirit of that question anyway.

In most cases I think this freedom is very good. It allows people to express ideas in response to the topic at hand that they wouldn't have thought or wanted to start a thread for, and we very often good ideas and good discussions come out of this. Occasionally it is actually annoying, or detrimental to the cause of why the thread has started, and for those cases we can call for it to get back on track. I don't recall any time here where anyone's fought against a request to "take it to its own thread".

As far as Stack Overflow goes, I actually strongly dislike that site, and it is not at all a model for how to have healthy discussions anyway. It's trying to be a question and answer reference. We have the Wiki for reference, and as far as questions go we have a lively group of people who actually answer them personally. (There have been multiple past discussions about Stack Overflow vs NESdev, incidentally.) Unlike that site we don't have a culture here of being rude to people who ask familiar questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:41 am 

An "NESdev StackOverflow" should just be a static page saying "you are doing PPU stuff outside of vblank" :P

FrankenGraphics wrote:
But the way i see it, Bulletin Board Systems != Stack Overflow. If the purpose is to ask questions and get the best answer upvoted and then lock the thread, then forums aren't the best infrastructure. If you on the other hand want to encourage a more dynamic discussion following the initial topic that occasionally propels productivity/creativity and/or disseminates less self-articulated knowledge, it is.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
I'm usually a fan of staying on-topic in forums due to their archival nature, but when the user base becomes small, and genuine discussion rare, any off-topic rant that gets people talking has my support. Also, it's harder to sort threads into very specific topics on a forum such as this, as opposed to more general video game forums, where you might have individual threads for each individual game, etc. Things are much more interconnected in the world of video game hardware and development.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:34 am 

I think that off-topic discussion is good. You shouldn't need to start a new thread for everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:05 am 

Me, as one of the guys who generally takes out the original focus of a thread, apologise for that, but I also don't see much problems other than "seachability".

Sometimes I wish to do something in a way that I think is the easiest path, but find out there's a better way and ask for more info about that, generally getting great answers.
Others, I just try to open a parenthesis that sometimes steals the focus, others I just get a face palm and am ignored.

Maybe language barriers play some hole here, specially when I try to say something that seems funny or trying to be a little sarcastic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:59 am 

@Sumez

Or it should be "You're holding your ppu wrong" (and the joke is so bad that hell just froze over...)

Jokes aside, in a small community like nesdev, I guess it's hard to stay on topic for too long anyway. As long as the question is answered and people want to post, I don't mind too much. Of course, if the main question is never answered and it's completely derailed then and only then it is not polite to the one that asked the question.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:03 pm 

Did you guys finally get that NESDev is the king of off-topic tangents? Took you guys a while.

That being said, no need to babysit those threads just because they're veering off course, let users be free to discuss whatever they want on a discussion board, don't kill this forum with excessive pedantism. If it's not beneficial for the thread the OP will usually request a thread split anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:18 pm 

I've seen forums with way worse off-topic tendencies than this one :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 pm 

This is a features of forums in general, not just nesdev. Most of the time, it's no annoyance, except for searchability, which by the way is very difficult here on those very forums.

The only case where it's an annoyance is if for example I ask a question (it doesn't matter whether it's the OP or not) and someone else directly comes with another questions that gets discussed before my own question, which remains completely ignored. This is fortunately sufficiently rare.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:53 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
This is a features of forums in general, not just nesdev. Most of the time, it's no annoyance, except for searchability, which by the way is very difficult here on those very forums.

I almost always just use google: "nesdev [topic]" instead of bothering with the forum search. Unless I need some sort of advanced search that only the forum search tool provides.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm 

Oziphantom wrote:
There is on topic, slight derail, as in you switch tracks that were connected and then there is NESDEV Teleportationtm.

So the NES 2006 register what is up with that....

...some posts latter....

Personally I think the 68K was the right choice for the Amiga and the 3.5Mhz RAM lets you squeeze more performance out of the Agnus when you use the right combo of instructions during a blit.

...many posts later ....

Its to slow on my Atom CPU, btw I'm using Mint and not my bag, AREOS looks lite anybody used it?

..many posts later ....

Do you think this SMS game could be easily ported to a GB?

I can't find that post with search. Which one is it? Or did you make it up?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:08 pm 

My opinion is NNTP is better. (You can also add additional MIME headers for special purposes if you need to do so, such as denoting questions and so on whatever.) Hopefully, you can then make a SQLite virtual table that can be used to search (although the SQLite virtual table mechanism does have some limitations that makes some things less efficient than they should be).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:20 pm 

Quote:
As far as Stack Overflow goes, I actually strongly dislike that site, and it is not at all a model for how to have healthy discussions anyway. It's trying to be a question and answer reference. We have the Wiki for reference, and as far as questions go we have a lively group of people who actually answer them personally. (There have been multiple past discussions about Stack Overflow vs NESdev, incidentally.) Unlike that site we don't have a culture here of being rude to people who ask familiar questions.

Funny, when someone posts a familiar question, I want to just do a search on nesdev for that topic, and then post a link to that other thread.

This is probably from seeing this behavior from S.O....half of the responses there are "this has been asked before, link, link, link".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:23 pm 

It's not rude to link to past conversations about the same question, that's perfectly polite. Though on this place it's often the case that past threads are discussions and not succinct and palatable answers to the question (e.g. linking tepples' open-bus thread wasn't going to be of any direct help to oralisadog, even though it was technically a relevant answer to the question, and worth sharing for the discussion). Stack Overflow is very different in this respect, though I've seen overzealously links there too.

Stack Overflow is full of useless and rude responses of "you didn't ask this question in the arbitrarily right way/place", "this was answered, and i'm not going to help you", "use the search feature before asking a question like this", "this has been answered, here's a link you could have found by searching (to something that answers a different question)" etc. and maybe this stuff eventually gets cleaned up a little bit in editing, but I run into things like this every time I've ended up at SO through a google search. (I've never asked a question there, though.)