It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:12 pm 

Punch wrote:
Jesus Christ no. NO. This breaks the nice flow of conversation and makes bigger threads a pain to read. Might as well convert NESdev into a mailing list type message board.

My $2, but I agree with this. I like when each post just continues the flow of the discussion, rather than having it like a complex tree which is unnavigable. Also, why should you be forced do 2 separate answer posts if you're answering two separate previous posts ? It just makes more sense to answer everything in a post, using quotes to refer to what you're answering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 pm 

I don't know... The fact that we have to constantly quote other posts to specify the context of what we're about to say seems like a waste of time on both ends: the person who's posting has to spend time looking for the relevant parts and putting them inside quote tags, and then the ones reading the post have to waste time reading things they have already read just so they know what the following text is about.

Quoting is still necessary in nested discussions if you need to address very specific points, but you usually don't need them for contextualizing the post, so I guess it's easier and faster to follow a specific line of thought without being interrupted by the noise.

But I agree that it can be convenient to address many topics in a single post, so I guess that in the end, neither method is perfect. I remember threaded discussions very fondly, but by now I'm so used to flat discussions that I don't know if I'd be as comfortable with the old style now as I used to be...