It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:55 pm 

It's really hard to deal with millions of users though. Eternal septemer kicks in and politely saying 'please' doesn't stop it.

I'm glad this site is small enough that we can have our pleasant culture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:02 pm 

orlaisadog wrote:
Oziphantom wrote:
There is on topic, slight derail, as in you switch tracks that were connected and then there is NESDEV Teleportationtm.

So the NES 2006 register what is up with that....

...some posts latter....

Personally I think the 68K was the right choice for the Amiga and the 3.5Mhz RAM lets you squeeze more performance out of the Agnus when you use the right combo of instructions during a blit.

...many posts later ....

Its to slow on my Atom CPU, btw I'm using Mint and not my bag, AREOS looks lite anybody used it?

..many posts later ....

Do you think this SMS game could be easily ported to a GB?

I can't find that post with search. Which one is it? Or did you make it up?

It's a slightly over the top, hyperbolic take on things that do happen, but most of them are roughly things that have happened, although across different threads ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:43 am 

Simple solution: use threaded instead of flat forums. Then all digressions go into separate sub-threads, being nicely and automatically separated from the original topic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:53 am 

NewRisingSun wrote:
Simple solution: use threaded instead of flat forums. Then all digressions go into separate sub-threads, being nicely and automatically separated from the original topic.

I knew this one forum software called Matt's wwwboard which was amazing for this sort of thing! Even better, it had fantastic other features like referring to the year 2000 as 19100 and basically having every security hole known to man. We should definitely run that, because as we all know, solving social and behavioural problems with technology totally works!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:57 am 

There is plenty of modern forum software that supports threaded discussions.
koitsu wrote:
We should definitely run that, because as we all know, solving social and behavioural problems with technology totally works!
Yes, in fact it is much more preferable to use technology to allow people to be themselves and have their fun without disturbing others, instead of "solving social and behavioural problems", i.e. forcing other people to behave as you want them to behave.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:05 pm 

Threaded discussions used to be popular on really old internet message boards. Nowadays, pretty much only Reddit uses it. Even Facebook did away with it (for more than a single level down).
I can see the appeal, but in practice it makes it hard to follow the discussion. It's very helpful for the people who branch off into a different discussion, but for someone like me who just likes to browse through all the discussions for an entire community (or search through archived threads), it's a huge useless mess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:18 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Threaded discussions used to be popular on really old internet message boards.

Man, I loved those! I remember finding it really odd when forums started switching to the new style... I honestly considered it a downgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:31 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

tokumaru wrote:
Sumez wrote:
Threaded discussions used to be popular on really old internet message boards.

Man, I loved those! I remember finding it really odd when forums started switching to the new style... I honestly considered it a downgrade.

Same!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 pm 

I guess I was shielded from a lot of the switch to flat mode because I'm a regular on Slashdot and SoylentNews, both of which still do the nested thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 pm 

I remember those threaded one, it's been a while that I have seen one like this. For now I'm used to this one thread thing, it actually easier to follow when we don't go multiple direction ^^;; In that case making a new thread manually makes more sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 pm 

NewRisingSun wrote:

Jesus Christ no. NO. This breaks the nice flow of conversation and makes bigger threads a pain to read. Might as well convert NESdev into a mailing list type message board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm 

Wasn't the old nesdev forum like that? I can't remember. I was a lurker back then, I only registered when the new forum went up. I did participate a bit in the mailing list though, which was also active back then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:41 pm 

Maybe it was but I was not a user (before 2004?). I think there is still an archive of it somewhere.

edit:

Found the link:
http://nesdev.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl

I checked some of the threads and it's quite hard to navigate. Don't want to go back that way ^^;;

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 am 

Nobody wants to go back to that ancient forum software, as I already stated. In particular, nobody wants to have to click on each message separately.

I am talking about simple hierarchical indentation of the actual message bodies. I suppose that view is called "nested" rather than "threaded". That keeps the flow of a discussion while optically separating digressions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:32 am 

Punch wrote:
NewRisingSun wrote:

Jesus Christ no. NO. This breaks the nice flow of conversation and makes bigger threads a pain to read. Might as well convert NESdev into a mailing list type message board.

Quote:
Slashdot and SoylentNews, both of which still do the nested thing.

Threaded/nested views are great for a large site like Slashdot or Reddit, where people like to have big arguments about a single article. It naturally breaks giant discussions down in a bunch of different sub-conversations. But for smaller conversations and communities, flat mode lets you feel a lot more invested in the entire conversation. Which I like.

(I didn't include Soylent News because as best I can tell, it has about 10 active users, and doesn't really benefit from a threaded view)