It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:20 am 

I noticed, while watching videos of events that The Cowlitz Gamers' 2nd Advdenture was being demoed at, that our game was almost always just sitting on the Game Over screen. Game Over screen was inevitable (due to running out of lives via timer) but required a button press to exit, meaning the game would just there after someone would leave.
Having a timer on every screen and a demonstration mode could have prevented that.

If we were looking into developing games (or versions of games) intended for such public display (either through original hardware or mame cabinet, etc), what else would need to be taken into consideration?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:05 am 

I've thought about this a bit, while having my games demo'd here and there. Here's what I'd consider some good "display version" ideas:

- Have the game start at a fun and interesting-looking part of the game. Some games (including some of mine) start a little slow, which is ok for big adventure. But make a version that starts somewhere that shows off the best of the game. (My Atari Anguna starts you in a drab dungeon, with no inventory, and boring enemies, which looks ugly and lame compared to when you finally step outdoors. I really should make a demo version that starts you outdoors instead)

- Make the game eventually auto-reset away from boring screens (ie your game over or a dull pause screen) to either a flashy title, an attract mode, or to the beginning of actual gameplay.

- For the sake of the people running the booth, turn down/off the music until somebody actually starts playing. (Eskimo Bob is a wonderful game, but I got really tired of the music while demo'ing next to it at MGC)

- Don't require complicated menus or anything to get going. Don't expect people walking by to have a clue how to navigate a menu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:58 pm 

As an arcade fan, I think this stuff is great pointers for good game design in general.
I mean, I do like good stories with a slow build up too, but especially when you are working at something with an intentional direction of "legacy" hardware, I find it natural to focus on the core idea of making game that's not just fun to play, but refuses to let the player forget that he/she is having fun. Attract them with cool demos, introduce the game with areas that grab their attention, etc. And don't allow slow trudges unless it's really thoughtfully paced.

Of course, boring game over screens is a small detail, and it's not like adding a timeout for it makes the game "more fun", meanwhile a static one makes sense for a home system.
But then again, we have classics like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJZC7QLBVo . I kind of like the idea that if you want the game to continue, you have to make your descision now. Don't let the player relax, stop and smell the air.

It's funny how many great video game traditions stem from the need to make money in an arcade, and keeping your game looking attractive, is a big part of that. Definitely look to arcade games for inspiration.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:12 pm 

I like when the "game over" text is displayed in the foreground while the game keeps going in the background, specially if the enemies have interesting interactions with each other and with the level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Haha, game over with 10 second timers have always been a pet peeve. Let me go get a glass of water in between or at least stretch for a minute, please! :P

Honestly, i think taking inspiration from arcades should be done with at least some vigilance. The incentive to get players to drop more coins, or more coins per minute of play, or keep players for longer, or keep players rotating to get new sources of income would be a conflict of interest between design for the sake of the game experience itself, and design for the sake of commercial interest. Some arcadey artifacts risk - worst case scenarios, of course - becoming either dead weight on the ux, or obstacles to other goals.

The arcade experience should be a nice study case for five minute pick up and play type of games, though!

Also good ideas for demo modes / builds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 pm 

@FrankenGraphics

I can understand your point regarding design in general but in M_Tee case, since the game was demoed at an event, having the game over screen automatically removed so it goes back to the title screen is a good thing. Having some attract screen started after some moment of inactivity on the title screen is not a bad thing too. Sometime you may not be able to play the game and to be able to see the game in action by itself is interesting. I always liked attract screen.

At a big event like the Tokyo game show, the game would never sit on a game over screen since people wait in turn, up to easily 1 hour (I remember doing that for the vita, before it came out), just to have the right to play 5 minutes so it's rare that you game is left unattended, unless you kiosk is so unpopular that nobody comes and you have a totally different problem :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:53 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Yeah, definitely.. sorry, i was merely reacting to that video and remembering similar (subjective) annoyances for home consoles. For demoing on expos, having a timer running when there's no controller input in some places ought to be a good thing.

Game over - 15 seconds until reset?
maybe even Pause - 30-60 seconds until unpause? (target: allows taking a pause for talking about something with the exhibitor, but will resume gameplay to show things in movement if left for too long).

Having either no title music, or just perhaps quite long/nonrepetetive title music may help neighbors, like gauauu said.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:36 am 

The music part... I missed that comment in the thread.

Non repetitive music may be difficult, depending how long is the song. For example, I have an anecdote from 1997. I was working in an electronic store and Apple had a promotion for the powerbook which was a tie-in with the Mission Impossible movie (if you watch this movie again you will see that their computers are apple ones). The Apple representative decided to put the main song in repeat, for days... You can guess that the sales guys felt a little bit "tense" after a while :lol:

So it depends what the song is. Even after a while, it can becomes irritating for the people around the kiosk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 am 

This is all terribly interesting. Yeah, demoing was the reason I initially thought of this, but I included arcade in the request because I've often daydreamed of running a little studio /gallery/freeplay arcade, etc. with dedicated standing machines per game. That daydreaming is often acccompanied by thoughts of what changes to make to develop a version of our games (or new games in particular) for such a space.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:22 pm 

Indivisible is on a public arcade machine. (But not alone.) It's not adapted for it, but it still does one thing I think is cool for the format.

The title screen is gameplay.
Any input will start it, no menuing or anything. No button is needed after dying either, there's infinite lives, and it can't be paused. A player could still get stuck if they resume a game after another player has gotten the axe. (Which has text that explains how to use it.)