It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:47 pm 

User banned, sig neutralized.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 am 

No matter how many red flags you see I don't think you can know for sure though.
And acting like an asshole to a newbie just in case is of course out of the question. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:04 pm 

Should we, whenever people make their first post, ask them to elaborate on their questions in a second post, to see if the two messages are coherent or if they're just copying text from somewhere else? If there even is a second post, that is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:00 am 

It's true that the OP's message wasn't their own question, but I don't really see any harm at all in a few of us having accidentally answered it. ...and I do kinda see some harm in proactively treating every noob as if they need to prove their humanity to you. (Silent scrutiny of a first poster is probably OK, if you're interested in that, but TBH I'd rather take a minute to write a useless reply than try to riddle out a user's origins from the scraps of information available to a non-mod.)

The actual spam content was entirely within the signature. As soon as that was dealt with by a mod, IMO problem solved. If you spot the spam, just flag it, post in the thread to say "hey this is a spammer, don't bother", and I think we're done. Everything beyond that is an admin's job, nobody else has the information or tools/permission to really do anything else.

Administrators can decide what approach they want to use to try and prevent spammers from getting accounts in the first place, but that's a different matter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:49 am 

Even if answering didn't help the person asking because it wasn't a genuine question, who knows? Someone with the same question might come across this topic someday when searching for an answer, so I don't see any real harm in answering.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Often, if I see a first post that looks suspicious, I'll copy the subject line or most/all of the message body into Google. Doesn't happen too often in the NES posts (though sometimes we've seen earlier posts from the same thread copied..), most often it's in the general section and you'll see the same post appear on forums of other sites, too.

I've joked about it before, but if we can make a spammer learn 6502 assembly to post here, then we can declare victory, haha. But yeah, usually the fake posts are just other people's posts copied/pasted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 pm 

But don't assume that all questions copy-pasted from another forum are spammers. If they're copied within a couple days, it might be the same person asking in good faith in multiple places. This goes double for things like release announcements.