It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm 

Hello there! Trying dearly to remember the name of this NES emulator. Anyone who's willing to give any input, no matter how small, is greatly appreciated.

I'm not asking because I need a good emulator, there are tons out there - I'm asking because it had a very unique NTSC filter.

So, I'll break this down into what I DEFINITELY remember about it, and what I think I MIGHT remember.

I downloaded it sometime before 2011. I definitely remember that it had NTSC filter that was far better than Blargg's. Most of the identifying qualities of an 80's game console on an 80's television was there in spades, almost to the point of parody. Moreover, it had NTSC artifacts that actually moved around in a convincing way, and most importantly it had that "bar" of distortion that would slowly rise from the bottom of the screen to the top, an effect you'd get irl if you had a splitter with your cable coax plugged into your RF switch. Blargg's filters don't have this at all.

What I THINK I remember about it is it being Japanese, maybe. I could have sworn it was Jnes, but I've tried that and it doesn't have these features. I don't think it was NesterJ or NNNesterJ either. I also seem to remember that it might have been some kind of add-on/hack of an existing emulator, which I know makes it seem like NesterJ even more, but I don't think it is. Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another emulator. I also seem to remember finding it buried in a forum somewhere, which I HOPE I'm wrong about.

In either case it was an emulator that came with a way better filter than Blargg's right out of the box. It's weird that such a great filter existed and fell into obscurity. I know it sounds like I just don't remember correctly, but I am 100% certain of that filter.

EDIT: So, I tried Mesen again and it appears to have a lot of the features I'm describing. It's at least good enough, I don't know if it's the one I was looking for... Are there any other emulators with filters like this that you guys know of? Hot damn it's got a good filter! I kinda feel dumb for the new post since Mesen is the leading emulator and is not obscure at all, but oh well. Thanks for your attention, anybody who stopped by!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:10 pm 

A lot of these so called "NTSC fiters" from back in the day were actually just arbitrary blurring, color bleeding and noise, not a correct modeling of the actual processes used by these old consoles to generate non-standard NTSC video. The fact that what you describe looks "so much better than blargg's filter" sounds extremely suspicious. To me, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:14 pm 

What you want is not an NTSC filter. If you're searching for that term, you'll probably mostly get things that accurately model the NTSC signal (like Blargg's filter).

Look instead for a CRT simulator, or TV simulator, or it might be called a filter too. Those still exist. I'm sure you could find something like that for RetroArch (e.g.).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
A lot of these so called "NTSC fiters" from back in the day were actually just arbitrary blurring, color bleeding and noise, not a correct modeling of the actual processes used by these old consoles to generate non-standard NTSC video. The fact that what you describe looks "so much better than blargg's filter" sounds extremely suspicious. To me, at least.

Maybe you're right, people become very convinced of things to the point where they fabricate memories, so who knows. Maybe I found it a bit later and fabricated the part where I still lived with my parents when I found it. It looks like Mesen's initial release was apparently 2016, so that wasn't it after all.

Its filter does look a lot like what I remembered, though. It is much better than Blargg's.

rainwarrior wrote:
What you want is not an NTSC filter. If you're searching for that term, you'll probably mostly get things that accurately model the NTSC signal (like Blargg's filter).

Look instead for a CRT simulator, or TV simulator, or it might be called a filter too. Those still exist. I'm sure you could find something like that for RetroArch (e.g.).

I was starting to suspect that it was something along these lines, especially after I found an old NES emulator with a similar feature called "Tv mode". I also do vaguely know the difference between a pixel shader and a filter, although I just don't trust folks not to colloquially refer to one as the other. Now that you bring it up though, I feel kinda stupid for not realizing it sooner, especially when I described the artifacts "moving" - yeah, I guess a filter probably wouldn't do that.

It also kinda lends credence to what tokumaru was saying about me mis-remembering, 2011 wasn't that long ago but I probably wasn't rocking a shader on my emachine in 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 pm 

DrakeGraves wrote:
It looks like Mesen's initial release was apparently 2016, so that wasn't it after all.
[..]
Its filter does look a lot like what I remembered, though. It is much better than Blargg's.
Yep, in February 2016 or so.

Mesen has 2 separate NTSC filters - the one you're talking about is the one based on Bisqwit's code, and I don't think it was added until at some point in 2017 or so. In 0.9.5 they're labelled vaguely, but I changed this yesterday to make the blargg/bisqwit distinction clearer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 pm 

DrakeGraves wrote:
I also do vaguely know the difference between a pixel shader and a filter, although I just don't trust folks not to colloquially refer to one as the other.

What exactly is the difference between the two? Is it a "filter" when it executes on the host CPU and a "pixel shader" when it executes on the host GPU?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:57 am 

A filter is just anything that goes anywhere between something and its final output - such as manipulating an image or sound, etc. Or filtering out calcium in your water supply.

A pixel shader is one way to make a filter. But yeah, a pixel shader is absolutely something executing on the GPU, created using some sort of shader language. I believe that definition is pretty much set in stone, although there are othe names for it as well (I think DirectX and GL call it two different things)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 am 

You might be remembering VirtuaNES. It has a "TV mode" that allows screen curvative, and hides some image in the 4 corners.