It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:48 am 

tokumaru wrote:
This was after an update, and this is what I have the most about modern software... Everything is fine, but an update comes along and breaks stuff. It happened to me on Linux before, and now on Windows 10. Is a reliable OS too much to ask for?

Just this week, my windows 10 updated itself, and now I can't get any sound out of my laptop speakers (I have to plug in headphones or external speakers). Windows 10 is where linux was a few years ago, where stuff just randomly breaks ALL THE TIME.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:01 pm 

Oziphantom wrote:
I trust you have done a sfc repair?

I did, but there was nothing to fix ("Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.")... I tried almost everything I could find online, except for the more convoluted processes that several people said made things even worse. I guess the next step is reinstalling Windows fresh, even though some people reported the problem coming back a few days after doing a fresh install.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 pm 

You may have to "upgrade" to windows 7 ;) I know you can't because of some issues with VS (if my memory is good) and understand that a re-install of an OS just to see if it works is not always an option. I'm in the same situation for my mac where I cannot find the why wine doesn't work properly and remove everything by hand and still doesn't work. A reinstall means hours lost so for now I just "let it be". So for now I just use mesen on windows instead and rarely use the mac, even though the compile performance is a lot better.

I'm hating windows more and more. loved win2000/xp era, even Win98 when the internet was not on the radar and virus was still not such an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 pm 

There's basically only one thing I've seen that I think is a real upgrade in Windows 10 and it's the better support of USB 3.

(e.g. Elgato capture cards don't even try to support Windows 7 anymore, kind of because of this, though I don't recommend that brand anyway.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
A reinstall means hours lost so for now I just "let it be".

I'll probably let it be for now too, since I don't want to waste a whole day backing up stuff, reinstalling and re-configuring Windows. I may just download replacements for the programs that don't work anymore that I actually use (only Calculator and Photos, which I wasn't a big fan of anyway) and keep going like that.

Quote:
loved win2000/xp era, even Win98 when the internet was not on the radar and virus was still not such an issue.

I used to keep windows updates always off until Windows 7, but 10 came along and made this impossible. I did periodically download ISOs with all updates applied whenever I needed/wanted to reinstall, so if something went wrong I at least wouldn't be caught by surprise, I'd already be doing maintenance stuff. Can't do that anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:15 pm 

What I hate is they changed some of the tools that were not necessary to be done. For example, the image viewer. It was very fast until Windows 8~10. Before, I could see the result right way. Now, it needs to load I don't know what and I need to wait almost 30 seconds to see the picture. That's not acceptable. I need to find a different image viewer again, reminds me of the days with ACDSee. I feel old!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:22 pm 

Depending, you may be able to copy the program from a previous version of Windows.

I've copied Windows XP's desk.cpl onto both Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems ... because for no good reason, there are adjustments it can make that newer versions of Windows honor but there's no built-in way to adjust!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:29 pm 

I've been using IrfanView to view images since the 90s. One of those pieces of software that always did the job really well for me and I've never even thought about alternatives.
https://www.irfanview.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm 

I remember a procedure like that a long time ago to use the XP one on Windows 7 because one some issue that I can't remember. I will try to find the file and try it. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
https://www.irfanview.com/

Looks hideous by today's standards, but the deal breaker for me was having to press CTRL to zoom. I'll proably switch to ImageGlass for now. Just have to find a new calculator now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:08 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
Looks hideous by today's standards

It's literally an window with an image in it. What part of this is hideous? I guess there's a tiny row of icons at the top, though you can hide/customize that toolbar as well, BTW.

tokumaru wrote:
having to press CTRL to zoom

Hmm... zoom seems to be on -/+ keys in the version I have? Though there are settings for automatically zooming to fit the screen, and a fullscreen mode if you hit enter (there are options for how/when this resizes too), that kind of reduce my need to try to zoom images very often. (My own setting is 1:1 in the window, fit to screen in fullscreen, but I don't know what the default is.)

Though, I've been using this thing for 20 years now, so for me it's like a subconscious function using this program, ha ha, I don't know how it looks "new".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
It's literally an window with an image in it. What part of this is hideous? I guess there's a tiny row of icons at the top, though you can hide/customize that toolbar as well, BTW.

Yeah, the default toolbar is hideous, but I see now that there are other styles available. The "about" window screams "Windows 95", but at least that's not something you'll be looking at.

Quote:
Hmm... zoom seems to be on -/+ keys in the version I have?

I guess that works too, but I'm used to zooming with the mouse wheel, which by default navigates through the files (does anyone really like "rolling" through the images like that?), so you have to use CTRL+wheel for zooming. I personally prefer to use either the mouse or the keyboard, not both at the same time if at all possible. That's just a personal preference of mine, the program isn't necessarily bad just because it does something differently than I'm used too (although an option for defining the behavior of the mouse wheel could go a long way).

Another thing that bothered me is that whenever there's a plugin missing for certain file types (e.g. PDF, SVG) the image browsing is interrupted by an error message which I have to "OK". It would be much better if the error message was displayed in the area reserved for the picture and didn't interrupt the navigation, or if the file was silently skipped.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:36 pm 

I know I said I'd just replace the programs and delay the reinstall, but my OCD is making it really hard for me to actually do that, hahaha. The thought that "something is broken" really messes with my head. I'll try to stay strong and wait at least a couple more days before formatting the hard drive, maybe I'll feel less annoyed with time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:54 am 

Banshaku wrote:
What I hate is they changed some of the tools that were not necessary to be done. For example, the image viewer. It was very fast until Windows 8~10. Before, I could see the result right way. Now, it needs to load I don't know what and I need to wait almost 30 seconds to see the picture. That's not acceptable. I need to find a different image viewer again, reminds me of the days with ACDSee. I feel old!

Yes, the image viewer in 10 is horrible. Not only does it take longer to load, but it's not nearly as useful as the image viewer from 7. But I have some great news for you! The picture viewer from 7 is actually included in 10, it's just disabled. A simple registry entry can re-enable it.

edit: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get- ... indows-10/

Last edited by Ziggy587 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:38 am 

Is that so? Great! I will be more than happy to change it once I know how. I will be waiting for the link then. thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next