online resources for learning game design

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

online resources for learning game design

Post by FrankenGraphics »

in this thread, olddb asked: "Is there any good source online where one can learn concepts like this?"

First thing that comes to mind is that i remember some of Yacht Games design related blog posts were worthwhile reads to me - i seem to especially remember the one about checkpoint design.
Here's a link to a filtered list. It also starts on page 2, so there are newer posts i haven't read.
http://yachtclubgames.com/category/design/page/2/

Sometimes you may pick up cues from unexpected fields. I've found helpful points in google:s "material design" tutorial (which primarily teaches touch ui tips), board game theory, and in various volumes of research about general human-machine interaction with appetizing titles such as "museums in the digital age" :wink:

Link to the material design tutorial. Inconveniently, they've hidden it in the hamburger menu.

Maybe look at this very quick, very consise animation tutorial: 12 principles of animation.

Besides reading up, i think "simply" training helps a lot. By doing, and by observing. Always taking notes. I think i benefit a little from the mental toolset i gained from the ethnography courses i once took (which emphasizes the method of studying a phenomenon from the viewpoint of a subject), but there are surely many other ways to go.

Watching other people play games, especially if they do it with average success rate, is something i find informative.

Game post mortems on youtube can sometimes reveal interesting points, but i feel the yield is not always guaranteed.

What's your favourite online resource tips for game design?
olddb

Re: online resources for learning game design

Post by olddb »

Thank you for this FrankenGraphics. :beer:
jmorgan1993

Post by jmorgan1993 »

This will be helpful, thanks for sharing it with us.
BradleyJameson

Post by BradleyJameson »

I imagine your work flow would be easier when you're just copy+pasting 3's level design