It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: multi-memory card (SD) ?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:58 am 

So I've bought a Yatour digital cd changer for car stereo. It will read mp3s off an sd crd or usb stick, cd1 to cd 6 like a cd changer would.
But rather than having multiple sd cards for groups of 6 cd's worth, i would like to find something like the old playstation 1 multi-memory card I have, that let's me push a button on the card to switch between virtual cards.

Is there such a thing in the realm of sd cards or usb sticks?

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

I remember those PS memory cards. Had a 7-segment LED display to show the card number, but the one I had didn't seem to work right. Lost some data so we banned it from use.

One of the terms to search for is "multiplexer". I'm finding some specialized tools like this, but nothing that makes sense to use in a car.
https://www.pengutronix.de/2017-10-23-usb-sd-mux-automated-sd-card-juggler.html

As for some kind of cheap switcher like this, I doubt there is one.

For in-car use, I bought a Bluetooth/FM transmitter/USB/SD card device for like $12 and it's mostly OK. Kind of annoying that it doesn't detect a power-down, so you have to manually exit the MP3 playing mode, otherwise it forgets what track/position it was playing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 pm 

that's funny because my ps memory card lost data and we didn't use it after that either. But still respected it.

I concidered buying the fm transmitter, but prefer things wired directly. I read this digital cd changer will sound better than fm. it also remembers last song position. But on the negitive, I read it locks up somtimes and need to be reset by either pulling the acc fuse or disconecting the care battery.

I found modmypi has a switchable sd card thing, to boot from 2 sd cards at the toggle of a switch.

But I'll think I'll just try to find a slotted tray to hold a bunch of cheap sd/usb stick all neatly.