Follow up of nes games that never occured

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Follow up of nes games that never occured

Post by Banshaku »

As a kid, there is so many games that I was hoping for a sequel or a new one but never occurred. I remember when ninja gaiden came out on the snes and was let down after finding that it was just a compilation of the nes games. I did play and finished the ps3 ones but they are not related so I'm still waiting for the game that will never happens.

There is so many game that I would have love to see another one but with new mechanics like for example a new bionic commando but if they could have allowed to jump and use the hook, that would have been great.

What are the game that you would have loved to see a follow up but never occurred?
pubby

Re: Follow up of nes games that never occured

Post by pubby »

Not a NES game but I've been waiting 36 years for Worm War 2.
toggle switch

Post by toggle switch »

also not NES, but even though privateer 2 was a total disappointment, i was sad when privateer 3 never happened.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

toggle switch wrote:also not NES, but even though privateer 2 was a total disappointment, i was sad when privateer 3 never happened.
Then Star Citizen became one of the biggest victims of Scope Creep of all time.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@pubby

I remember Worms by Team 17 but I'm not sure what is this game. Is it related?

@toggle switch

I remember playing the first wing commander on a 286 but I didn't follow the serie much after. It was fun to play for the specs of the machine.
calima

Post by calima »

I've been waiting an eternity for Golden Sun 4.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I'm surprised to not have seen Chrono Break or whathever sequel to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross there would have been. Oops this was about NES games only sorry.

Mmh... I guess a 4th Double Dragon game that is actually good (nor like the 3rd).
calima wrote:I've been waiting an eternity for Golden Sun 4.
Well the third one sucked hard enough to be honnest ^^ It really felt like they were doing quick commercial cash in from the fans of the first two games (*) desperately waiting for a sequel.

(*) Technically I consider them one game split on two cartridges rather than two separate games, though.

Sometimes it's best having great games being standalone rather than have a multitude of shitty sequels that don't live up to the original's standards.
Last edited by Bregalad on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I defentitely wanted more Castlevania games for the NES. Still do. And blaster master. Drew lots of levels on paper for those two. I think i fantasized about a second Rush 'n attack at some point, if only because i liked it despite being rather primitive and having a grievous control scheme.

For Mac or PC, i definitely wanted a true follow up on Syndicate. Nothing was quite like it and i still think nothing is. Even with satellite rain which sort of tapped into that. It's as much about the exact theme as about the way it plays. The bulky control scheme and annoying menu conventions would need to be a bit modernized, though.

Me and a friend used to draw levels and define a concept for a "Warcraft 3" with a third faction and an imagined rock-paper-scissor-y balance between their different units. Turned out blizzard was thinking the same: Starcraft.
DRW

Post by DRW »

"The Legend of Zelda III". And I'm not talking about an NES version of "A Link to the Past". I'm talking about a proper sequel for the NES Link that plays chronologically after "Zelda II". This game would have both Princess Zeldas.
FrankenGraphics wrote:I think i fantasized about a second Rush 'n attack at some point, if only because i liked it despite being rather primitive and having a grievous control scheme.
It exists, but it's arcade-only. It's called "M.I.A.: Missing in Action":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWaVbe5tkPg
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

FrankenGraphics wrote: And blaster master. Drew lots of levels on paper for those two.
Yup. This. Eventually we'll make it happen. :beer:
pubby

Post by pubby »

Banshaku wrote:I remember Worms by Team 17 but I'm not sure what is this game. Is it related?
Nah it's an old Atari game.

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bregalad wrote: Mmh... I guess a 4th Double Dragon game that is actually good (nor like the 3rd).
Did you play the Japanese version of DD3? Both the arcade and Famicom versions are much better in the Japanese region. Both games had their difficulty balance completely ruined for their western releases.
FrankenGraphics wrote:I defentitely wanted more Castlevania games for the NES. Still do. And blaster master. Drew lots of levels on paper for those two. I think i fantasized about a second Rush 'n attack at some point, if only because i liked it despite being rather primitive and having a grievous control scheme.
You are aware of the actual Rush 'n Attack sequel, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sj0Aj1Ncr0

Of course I don't have to tell you about the myriad of Blaster Master sequels that all suck, but supposedly the new one by Inti is pretty good?
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Any game that continue original popular series but in nes style (and snes if never released) would have been great. Would love some continuation for Crystalis, find a way to continue the story for Battle of olympus, any contra/double dragon/rygar, so many that it would be too long to write all of them.

@pubby

I see. I started to play games during tv pong and odyssee 2000 but we skipped the atari so I never had the chance to play that game. I have no idea why they called it "1" if they were not expecting to make another one ^^;;

@calima

Started to play the first one but never had a chance to continue it. I guess I should have, since it looked like a good game.

@Bregalad

I have the Japanese version of DD3 and I think it was easier, like Sumez mentioned, which makes it more fun to play. The "latest" nes version was released on steam recently with the same style at DD2 but it was quite suppar. It was called Double Dragon IV and it made by the original team. I guess they lost their touch.

I like to play the snes double dragon with the kids since the Japanese version is easy and they can play until the end.

As for Chrono trigger, I only started the first one and it was fun but never finished it. This is on my list of "must find the time to play someday", which is too long right now ^^;; I'm playing these days "The messenger", which is a nice platformer that do homage to Ninja gaiden but it's more a metroivania with some comedic content. Nice first game for this studio.

@FrankenGraphics

Would love to see another Castlevania, nes style. From the artwork I remember seeing on your site, you could easily do one ;) As for Rush N attack (still prefer the original green beret name even though I played the american version first), I totally forgot about the arcade sequel. Never played it until the end.

As for Syndicate, I was more into action game but my father played the hell out of it. He must have done every possible strategy to finish it, that what he liked about it. And I think it was quite slow at the time on a 286 too ^^;;

As for Blaster master, it been mostly remake these days so there is no true sequel. Hopefully someday since Inti Creates made a supposedly good remake.

@DRW

That is an interesting idea. But in that case, what kind of game play would it have since the second one was quite a drastic change at the time. Maybe continuing with the second one style would be interesting. I think I played the second one before the first so because of that I liked it better.

@sumez

Ninja gaiden 3 was tweaked for the Japanese version. There was a password system too. I remember how hellish it was for the US one because of the imposed 5 continue. I didn't mind that it was easier for the JP one since I didn't felt tense that I may have to do it all over again if I fail too much in it.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Banshaku wrote:Ninja gaiden 3 was tweaked for the Japanese version. There was a password system too. I remember how hellish it was for the US one because of the imposed 5 continue. I didn't mind that it was easier for the JP one since I didn't felt tense that I may have to do it all over again if I fail too much in it.
I was talking about Double Dragon 3.
But since you brought it up, let's talk about Ninja Gaiden 3 - While I don't completely agree with the 5 credit limitation (on one hand a lot of western players have a hard time figuring out that beating a game involves not using continues, so it's good to give them a push, but on the other hand it makes practice of the later stages almost impossible), the rest of the game is a vast improvement over the Japanese release! It's the complete opposite result of the DD3 tweak.

Not only is the game actually challenging this time around (some may say too hard, but that's still better than the cakewalk the original game was), the game also switches around a lot of powerup locations to fit much better with how the stages are designed. It's a much more tightly designed game.

I have both versions of the game, but don't care much for my Famicom cart. I 1CC'ed the game my first time ever playing it. That just feels wrong for a Ninja Gaiden game.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Banshaku wrote:The "latest" nes version was released on steam recently with the same style at DD2 but it was quite suppar. It was called Double Dragon IV and it made by the original team. I guess they lost their touch.
I guess it's worth mentioning Double Dragon Advance, also made by the original team, in the style of the original NES and Arcade games. It's widely recognised as the best game in the series, definitely give it a try.