Follow up of nes games that never occured

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Re: Follow up of nes games that never occured

Post by Banshaku »

Oh, I was not aware of that. When it was released I almost bought it but when I saw the box, that Titus released it and it was some kind of first game remake, I passed it.

I will give it a try then!
DRW

Post by DRW »

Banshaku wrote:@DRW

That is an interesting idea. But in that case, what kind of game play would it have since the second one was quite a drastic change at the time. Maybe continuing with the second one style would be interesting. I think I played the second one before the first so because of that I liked it better.
"Zelda III" would of course have the classic game style again since part 2 was a freak among "Zelda" games. Every 2D "Zelda" is top-down, so obviously this hypothetical sequel would be as well.

It would be like with "Super Mario Bros." and "Castlevania": The second game is the strange one. And the third one is like part 1 again, but much bigger.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
tepples

Post by tepples »

I was sort of disappointed when New Super Mario Bros. 2 was [New Super Mario Bros.] 2 and not New [Super Mario Bros. 2], that is, not New Doki Doki Panic.
DRW

Post by DRW »

So, you really thought that "New Super Mario Bros. 2 USA" was actually a possibility?
My game "City Trouble":
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

tepples wrote:I was sort of disappointed when New Super Mario Bros. 2 was [New Super Mario Bros.] 2 and not New [Super Mario Bros. 2], that is, not New Doki Doki Panic.
Isn't Yoshi's Island technically "Super Doki Doki Panic"?
tepples

Post by tepples »

It's just that most of the main-line 2D Super Mario games (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2/The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and all of NSMB) resemble each other in mechanics to a great deal, but Nintendo hasn't produced anything like Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA/Super Mario Advance. Notice, for example, that Super Mario Maker offers SMB1/SMB2 (J), SMB3, SMW, and NSMB styles, but no SMB2 (U) style.

I guess to an extent, eating an enemy and tossing an egg could be viewed as analogous to the pick up and throw mechanic of SMB2 (U). Do the circumstances under which Nintendo made Doki Doki Panic (as a co-production with Fuji TV) limit what Nintendo can do with the actual SMB2 (U) style without getting Fuji TV's OK?
DRW

Post by DRW »

tepples wrote:Do the circumstances under which Nintendo made Doki Doki Panic (as a co-production with Fuji TV) limit what Nintendo can do with the actual SMB2 (U) style without getting Fuji TV's OK?
I don't think so. Even if Fuji TV owns the four main characters, they probably don't have any rights regarding the game mechanics or any of the other characters.

The reason why modern Mario games aren't based on "Super Mario Bros. 2" (USA) is because it's not regarded as a main Mario game in Japan. It was basically a graphics hack for the western markets, but it wasn't designed as a Mario game to begin with. So, of course, "Super Mario Maker" only uses the true Mario 2D titles: "Bros. 1", "Bros. 3", "World" and "New Bros." This has nothing to do with any copyright stuff, but simply with the fact that, for the Japanese, this is merely a side game.
My game "City Trouble":
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Sumez wrote: I guess it's worth mentioning Double Dragon Advance, also made by the original team, in the style of the original NES and Arcade games. It's widely recognised as the best game in the series, definitely give it a try.
Definitely sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it !

Ninja Gaiden 3 jap also sounds interesting, since I suck at Ninja Gaiden games :)

(OK I beat up to level 4 of the original game without cheating so that's already great, but the last two levels are like impossible).
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Bregalad

Is your last comment related to Double Dragon Advance (which I think would be a good guess)? The difficulty spike up in the last levels? I only tried the first level a little bit after then mention in this thread so I don't know much about it yet.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

psycopathicteen wrote: Isn't Yoshi's Island technically "Super Doki Doki Panic"?
That's an interesting point. I never thought about it like that, but it totally makes sense. I think it was also the first original Mario game to bring back a bunch of the enemies introduced in Doki Doki Panic, right? Not counting some of the altered graphics in SMB3SNES that is.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Banshaku wrote:@Bregalad

Is your last comment related to Double Dragon Advance (which I think would be a good guess)? The difficulty spike up in the last levels? I only tried the first level a little bit after then mention in this thread so I don't know much about it yet.
No, it was about the original Ninja Gaiden on the NES.
LightStruk

Post by LightStruk »

DRW wrote:"Zelda III" would of course have the classic game style again since part 2 was a freak among "Zelda" games. Every 2D "Zelda" is top-down, so obviously this hypothetical sequel would be as well.
Crystalis is Zelda 3 (NES) to me. It's also one of the very best games on NES, and still so many people have not played it.

If it had sold better, perhaps there would have been a Crystalis 2 or Super Crystalis. Instead, there's a Game Boy Color port that's worse than the NES original. :-(
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Bregalad

The last level is brutal because of the boss fight: you miss, you restart many stage before ^^;; The easiest way to finish it is to have the spinning attack and keep it until the boss.

@LightStruk

Just repeat after me: the gameboy color version "does not" exist. It was just a dream. :lol:

It was a port by not the original team and they changed so many things that I never was able to play it, too awful. The actual game (god slayer), they never actually finished the way they wanted it but I cannot find the article that talked about it anymore. Someday I should try to play back the JP version again since knowing Nintendo.. They must have censored some of the story with a name like that ^^;;
calima

Post by calima »

Curiously the Xeno series is about killing gods, and some FFs have themes like that too, all on Nintendo consoles.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Nintendo has also loosened its guidelines over time. Mortal Kombat was a big one: the Genesis port was driving sales of the competing console despite otherwise inferior presentation because it had a code to unlock the R-rated stuff. This led to Nintendo adopting an ad-hoc 17+ label for Mortal Kombat II, followed by ESRB ratings around when NES games were discontinued. On the other end of the objectionability spectrum, The Bible Game, an edutainment title about the Old Testament, was licensed on GBA in 2005. Compare this to the NES era, when only Wisdom Tree would touch explicitly religious subject matter.