Follow up of nes games that never occured

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Sumez

Re: Follow up of nes games that never occured

Post by Sumez »

Let's also keep in mind that this is NOA exclusively, not Nintendo.
OmegaMax

Post by OmegaMax »

FrankenGraphics wrote:I think i fantasized about a second Rush 'n attack at some point, if only because i liked it despite being rather primitive and having a grievous control scheme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWaVbe5tkPg
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Also not a NES game, but at the end of Shadowrun for the SNES the end boss promised that there would be a sequel.

Then again, he is a big talking dragon so maybe I shouldn't have taken him too seriously.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

WedNESday wrote:Also not a NES game, but at the end of Shadowrun for the SNES the end boss promised that there would be a sequel.
Coincidentally, Nightshade for the NES, developed by the same people, does the exact same thing, which is a bit of a shame IMO, as that game really had potential.

On the SNES, I guess Axelay is one of the more famous examples.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I finished Axelay a long time ago but I don't remember the ending ^^;;; Was there something that shown a possible follow-up? Now you got me curious and will have to check it :D
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Banshaku wrote:I finished Axelay a long time ago but I don't remember the ending
If I remember correctly, it says: "See you again in Axelay 2."

If you're going to try to finish his game again, i suggest you to play the beta version of it.
It has some minor graphical differences, but the most interesting part is that you can toggle invincibility on and off by pausing and pressing X. :wink:
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Fisher wrote: If I remember correctly, it says: "See you again in Axelay 2."
Well, that one is word for word "sequel" :lol:
Fisher wrote: If you're going to try to finish his game again, i suggest you to play the beta version of it.
It has some minor graphical differences, but the most interesting part is that you can toggle invincibility on and off by pausing and pressing X. :wink:
If you think about it, compared to long time ago, with today's emulator and save state, invincibility mode is almost not necessary (unless the game is insanely hard ^^;;).
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Banshaku wrote:If you think about it, compared to long time ago, with today's emulator and save state, invincibility mode is almost not necessary (unless the game is insanely hard ^^;;).
Last boss of Sunset Riders for the SNES, anyone? (WITHOUT using that top left corner exploit)
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Hey, it's WedNESday! A Shadowrun sequel would have been awesome. You've probably seen Shadowrun Returns, but if not, check it out. The soundtrack was done by the composers of the SNES and Genesis games, which is pretty interesting. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better, and I haven't tried the Hong Kong one yet. But the gameplay is mostly tactical, not really like the SNES one.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@WedNESday

Was it that hard? It's been a while that I don't remember if I finished it on the genesis or snes. It was "easy" in mame but that's because, well, I can put as much money as I want and that less frustrating for the kids :lol: They love playing turtle in time with infinite credits. I don't know how many time we finished it ^^;;;
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

@Banshaku
Sure!
Emulators made a gamer's life a lot easier.
I tried Axelay on my console and surprisingly I could go up to stage 3 and them the game crashed.
Must be that CPU DIV/16 problem my SNES has. :-(

@WedNESday
Altough I think the guys at Konami did a nice job with only 4Mbit on the MegaDrive's version of Sunset Riders, the console sure deserved a better conversion.
I think this game is another one that deserves a sequel, a prequel or maybe even a reboot.

If I remember correctly, both SNES and MegaDrive versions have the last boss insanelly difficult on the hardest setting. Even the left jump trick didn't work very well, or I wasn't doing it correctly.
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

@Memblers

Hey! :)

@Banshaku

Yes, it was! Try it for your self if you have a copy of the ROM happen to legally own the game. Let me know your opinion.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Fisher

I remember finishing Axelay as a kid since it was possible to rent them. In Japan, it is illegal to rent games (maybe a long, long time ago it was not) so you have no choice but to buy them. I will try it again, out of curiosity.

As for Sunset, it was not so bad on the Genesis, I liked it.

@WedNESday

Once I find the copy of the ROM my legally owned game in my boxes in the wardrobe, I will try to test it again!
WedNESday

Post by WedNESday »

Why is it illegal to be able to rent games in Japan?
tepples

Post by tepples »

One usual provision of copyright is exhaustion of exclusive distribution rights at the first sale of a particular lawfully made copy. (A "copy" is a physical object on which a work is recorded.) But in some cases, countries make exceptions to this exhaustion for particular kind of work, and it varies from country to country.

Rental in United States
I'm most familiar with the U.S. copyright statute, which defines exhaustion in 17 USC 109 but explicitly does not extend exhaustion to the rental, lease, or lending of phonorecords (copies of a sound recording) or of copies of a computer program other than a console game by an entity other than a nonprofit library. Only the owner of copyright or a nonprofit library can authorize rental of a phonorecord or a copy of a computer program other than a console game. I know little about exhaustion exceptions in other countries.

Droit de suite
In European Union member states and some other countries, visual artists and their heirs enjoy droit de suite, or a tax on resale of a given copy of an artwork. This tax is on the order of 5 percent of any sale over $1,000.

Japan
Based on Banshaku's post, it appears that Japan's exception covers rental of console games.