It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:54 am 

Worth mentioning for anyone who wants to attempt this is that the NES has no native support for RGB. You would have to mod the console with viletim's RGB board or do the old way of scavenging an RGB PPU from a playchoice-10.

As someone who lives in europe, RGB on CRT TV's is not new to me and it really makes a huge difference in picture quality on most consoles.

I think the mod should be even simpler than what mr 8-bit does in the video, though. Most TV's should have traces ready to be soldered with a SCART connector right on the PCB.

I would recommend hooking up a SCART connector rather than those coaxial cables, as SCART is a well established standard with loads of ready-made cables available online for all kinds of hardware. In the video he has a regular composite video port where the SCART would go, but if you really need that you could find a simple SCART-to-composite adapter. They used to come with all game consoles here before HD took off. In fact, most cables send composite video as the sync signal for RGB input on european TV's and if there is no input on the 5v line (maybe it was the 12v line..), the TV will switch back to composite from that pin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 am 

pwnskar wrote:
Most TV's should have traces ready to be soldered with a SCART connector right on the PCB.

I would recommend hooking up a SCART connector rather than those coaxial cables, as SCART is a well established standard.

If it is US only model, it might not, because SCART does not exist in US. Plus finding SCART connectors and cables is bigger hassle here, than in Europe, and coaxial cables are in every store.

P.S. I grew up in Europe and agree with you in general, I just think it may not be very advantageous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 am 

yaros wrote:
pwnskar wrote:
Most TV's should have traces ready to be soldered with a SCART connector right on the PCB.

I would recommend hooking up a SCART connector rather than those coaxial cables, as SCART is a well established standard.

If it is US only model, it might not, because SCART does not exist in US. Plus finding SCART connectors and cables is bigger hassle here, than in Europe, and coaxial cables are in every store.

P.S. I grew up in Europe and agree with you in general, I just think it may not be very advantageous.

Even if the TV is sold in the US and adapted for that market, chances are high the PCB's are the same, only with different components installed. It wouldn't make a lot of sense logistically to have different pcb designs inbetween regions when the only thing different is the connectors.

As for getting SCART cables, they're all over ebay and it beats having to make your own custom cable for whatever other connector you would chose to mod the TV with. The SCART connector is also identical in shape to the JP21 connector (but with different wiring) which opens up the possibility of using japanese cables if you get a simple passive adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:47 am 

Fair enough, I should just clarify that I would not go with SCART cables here in Cadana. But I agree it is viable idea.