What on earth is this strange SNES controller?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

calima

Re: What on earth is this strange SNES controller?

Post by calima » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:12 am

Console-first audience? I had a computer first, and most DOS games used the arrows for movement. It's entirely fine to me.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:41 am

Yes console-first here. When we got our first computer I played a lot of Pacman with the keyboard though, so I think I learned to play games using a keyboard and with my right hand back then. But games like Super Mario Bros 2j are almost unplayable with a keyboard since you need very precise control, and things like key ghosting or jamming are out of the question. A joypad or arcade joystick panel is needed.

Fiskbit wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:03 pm
It's funny that you cite hockey, since apparently 60% of pros play left-handed, and stick sales are 60-70% left handed except in the US, where it's reversed. The argument I see is that it's more natural to have your dominant hand on the grip, which reverses your handedness. From my experience in both hockey and golf, I agree with this.
Oh by left-handed stick you mean the blade curves the right when holding the stick like normal, and the left hand will be closer to the blade and the right hand on the grip. I always thought most hockey players used right-hand sticks no matter which hand was your dominant one. I think that's the case in golf anyway? Either way there are both left-handed and right-handed people using both grips.
But I agree that the dominant hand on the grip gives you more control, as I'm left-handed and uses the "right-hand grip" in all such sports. And as I already said, that's also the theory why left-handed people has an advantage in kendo where everyone are forced to use the right-handed grip. But I also think using the joystick/d-pad with my dominant hand makes the most sense for the same reason (the joystick requires more fine control than simple buttons). But I'm bad at games that uses button mashing, since my right hand is slower and weaker.

I also learned to use a mouse with my right hand to the point that I lost the ability to use a mouse with my dominant left hand. I think that's the reason why I suck at any action game that is played with a mouse. Things like Lemmings and RTS games works, but I believe I'm slower than right-handed people, and slower than I would be if I'd stayed a left-handed mouse user.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:17 am

There seems to be a lot of misconception or cliches when it comes to left- or right- handeness. Usually most (non-disabled) people can do everything with both hands, their brain just takes the habit of doing things with one prefered hand, but if you broke your arm or even if you just wanted to you could learn to do them with the other hand, it just takes quite some time before it becomes an habit.

There is no such thing as inherently left-handed or right-handed people, and even less left-handed or right handed ways of doing thigs that requires both hands in the first place.

Action games where precision is needed need some learning anyhow; you can't be great at them on 1st try ever. So you'll learn to be efficient with whathever controls are at your disposeal, and the direction can be in either hand, it will take some time until your brain can get the mechanics right.

If you change whathever input is, your brain will need some time to re-adapt, it won't happen overnight. But after playing a lot with the new control, you can get good at it again. This is true no matter what is the control and no matter whether you're left- or right-handed.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:15 pm

You mean with my mouse example is just that I didn't have enough training? Maybe, but I also think there is no limit how good you can get at something, and doing it with the wrong hand requires more training than with the dominant hand.
I do feel that a mouse is an awkward input device and not precise enough for action gaming.

I can beat SMB with a keyboard easily, that's why I used SMB2j as an example because it's so much harder. But now when I think about it, I think I actually beat SMB2j long ago on an emulator using a keyboard (I came to world 9 then realized I need to beat it 7 more times to get to the letter worlds, so I quit). Either way a dedicated gaming input device like a joypad or arcade control panel is obviously better for gaming than a general input device like a keyboard. Then again there are mechanical gaming keyboards with microswitches that are probably not that much worse than Sanwa or Seimitsu arcade buttons.