What code editor do you use?

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

sean121

Re: What code editor do you use?

Post by sean121 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am

I use these 2 :
1. VS code
2. Livecode

qbradq

Post by qbradq » Fri May 01, 2020 7:27 pm

Vscode with a vim plugin. It's the best of both worlds 😁

Drag

Post by Drag » Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 pm

The last time I did active development, it was in Notepad++ after using its built-in custom syntax highlighter creator to set up for 6502.

Today, if I got back into it, I'd try using VS Code because I've already switched to it for everything else, and it's nice to have one environment everything works in.

I'm jealous of those who can use the VI family, because there's always a crowd boasting about how well it works for them, but I've never been able to get into the mindset of using any of its more unique features that go beyond INSERT and :wq. :P

never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete » Sat May 02, 2020 8:05 am

I use:

VS IDE for C/C++/C#
devC++ for quick and dirty (mostly command line) stuff
Notepad++ for everything else
. That's just like, your opinion, man .

dougeff

Post by dougeff » Sat May 02, 2020 12:46 pm

What advantages does VS code have over Notepad++ ?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku » Sat May 02, 2020 11:25 pm

dougeff wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Well, it depends on your need. With VSCode, one advantage is that it can be used on multiple platform (win/mac/linux) with exactly the same plugin. This was a huge thing for me.

You have a lot of plugin that allow syntax highlighting for multiple language (c,c++, java, asm 68k/z80/6502 etc etc), project management, git, remote debugging for multiple language (java, nodejs, inside chrome for angular etc), nice search, a lot of options for editing etc. One example is if you use C (like a nes project) and define symbols in other include, it will find them without issue. You can press alt and hover a symbol and it will show where it's defined and you can jump to it etc. So it's quite good. For asm, well, it would need a plugin for ca65 but it will try to guess your symbols, which is already something.

5 years ago it was not much but today it's night and day. I'm not using notepad++ for age because it became that good. Now if I could just make some kind of plugin to ca65 to allow to define struct, see symbols etc, that would be great too.

Here's a screenshot while I hover something in c:
example.png

Drag

Post by Drag » Sun May 03, 2020 1:50 am

dougeff wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:46 pm
For me, Notepad++ might've gotten the short end of the stick because I never needed to use it in lieu of an IDE (I had Orwell Dev-C++). When I upgraded to Windows 10, it was an opportunity to try a new development environment out, and I went with VS Code, since it was the fresh new thing at the time, and I was going to use that in lieu of an IDE. Therefore, Notepad++ might have decent IDE-like features but I wouldn't know about them since I only used it for its syntax highlighting and tabs, so I can't compare the two fairly. :P

So, reasons I like VS Code:
* It's new and has lots of life ahead of it. (e.g., it looks like something you can switch to and still be using 10 years later)
* Development (both official and community) is very active.
* It has the framework for all of the things you'd want in an IDE (e.g., code completion, jump to definition/implementation, debugging/variable watching/breakpoints, building), you just need the plugin for your language.
* It handles DPI scaling.

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku » Sun May 03, 2020 2:35 am

@drag

Notepad++ is in no way an IDE but is a nice text editor with syntax highlighting, which make it more useful than using notepad. Once you get to use a proper ide (and VSCode is technically not an ide but some editor with a lot of functionality to it, well, now almost an ide), notepad++ is less useful.

I just want a plugin for ca65, that's something that would be useful.

devmas

Post by devmas » Wed May 06, 2020 4:09 pm

In all fairness, I think there's value in having both Notepad++ and VSCode installed. Notepad++ is a great, lightweight replacement for Notepad, and it's easily my preferred general text editor.

I wouldn't use VSCode for general purpose text editing, but it's great for other purposes.

Drag

Post by Drag » Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Ok good, so I wasn't missing any fancy IDE features with Notepad++. :P
devmas wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:09 pm
In all fairness, I think there's value in having both Notepad++ and VSCode installed.
Agreed, I don't think VS Code needs to replace NP++ for absolutely everything; sometimes you just need to quickly tweak a config file. :P

Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander » Thu May 07, 2020 5:02 am

Vim. The first thing I do when using a new IDE is to find a vim plugin. The one in CLion is decent, though I still edit files with vim when using this IDE because there are things it does way better that anything.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))